Atlante support?

Based on CBC's feed of tonight's game, it appeared as though there were a lot of Atlante fans in attendance; however, the Montreal supporters were certainly louder. Good job by the UM02 supporters behind the east goal.

As strong as the home support sounded tonight, one thing bugged me when I watched the game. I noticed a lot of Atlante/Mexican fans in sections 113 and 115 of Saputo Stadium. We had a similar distribution of tickets for the Canada/Honduras match a few weeks ago. In my opinion, away fans should not be able to buy tickets that close to the home supporters section.

Based on CBC's feed of tonight's game, it appeared as though there were a lot of Atlante fans in attendance; however, the Montreal supporters were certainly louder. Good job by the UM02 supporters behind the east goal.

As strong as the home support sounded tonight, one thing bugged me when I watched the game. I noticed a lot of Atlante/Mexican fans in sections 113 and 115 of Saputo Stadium. We had a similar distribution of tickets for the Canada/Honduras match a few weeks ago. In my opinion, away fans should not be able to buy tickets that close to the home supporters section.

quote:Originally posted by Toronto Ruffrider

You are exactly right about this and I am in discussion with the Impact to improve the situation but nothing will happen until next year. There was a group of about 40 Mexicans in 113 and they started chanting against us but we turned around (they were higher up) and they got intimidated since we by far outnumbered them. There were a lot of Mexican fans but not many Atlante fans, most wore national team colours not Atlante colours. Other than the group in 113 most of the Mexican fans were pretty relaxed.

We had the biggest kop UM has ever had and we had some very good moments. Yet it was not as intense as the kop against Joe Public which I think everyone would agree was up to now the best UM kop ever. On the UM website many have commented that we had too many tourists in the kop. As always when groups get larger there are growing pains and I think we spead out the hard core too much thinking we could get rows 10 to 15 going. Maybe for Atlante we need to concentrate the hardcore in the first 5 rows and let the rest just follow.

Near the end there were a large number of smoke bombs released and security and the police made a very violent entry into the kop. The smoke bombs do not harm anyone and do not damage to the stadium so I am also trying to convince the club to be a bit more lenient in this regard. I have seen the smoke bombs incite security to grab people by the neck and to storm the section knocking over 6 year old children on the way. The security are far, far more dangerous than the smoke bombs.

The team played great tonight against some formidable opposition.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Looked like a lot of Mexican fans were there--Mexican flags everywhere--but I was watching online and it is tough to say what the crowd was like with any certainty. What was the ratio of Impact vs. Atlante/Mexican fans?

It was about 60/40 Impact to "Mexican" supporters: but of course the Impact supporters mostly don't wear the colors or make any noise. There were a lot of Mexcians in National team colors and many of them were chanting "Chivas" or "America" not Atlante. Kind of lame. Anyhow that was my first time with the supporters section and it was great, thanks guys. I think it's safe to say we kicked their asses, which was a great feeling after Honduras.

Archived