Promotions for Edmonton Oct. 15

Tuscan

Can. Traveller, I like your idea of looking towards the university crowd. I've been wondering if it would create any results to go to both the U of S (where I am) and the U of R, although it certainly could be a tough sell since people won't want to miss their classes. Only crazed die-hards such as moi are willing to miss Wednesday and Thursday classes for the travel (unless we leave for home right after the game, will depend on my class schedule I guess).

If people on here have the ability to go after the U of A and the U of C, along with the other colleges and post-secondary educational facilities, it might be worth while. Of course, an alcohol deal might have to be solidified to get the college crowd out...[:P]

quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

Can. Traveller, I like your idea of looking towards the university crowd. I've been wondering if it would create any results to go to both the U of S (where I am) and the U of R, although it certainly could be a tough sell since people won't want to miss their classes. Only crazed die-hards such as moi are willing to miss Wednesday and Thursday classes for the travel (unless we leave for home right after the game, will depend on my class schedule I guess).

Regina is asking a lot - that's a 7-hour haul on a good day, which then leads to the scenario you described. If someone puts on transportation from Saskatoon, then it's just a 2+ hour drive down the 11 and that's a lot more palatable. Even if you just car pool with some Regina friends, maybe one Saskatoon driver w/ a couple of Regina passengers, it might be enough to get a few Regina folks out, without the penalty of missing an extra day of work (and the cost of a hotel along the way).

But Saskatoon is less than 5 hours (4:15? Or 4:30?) and there's no reason you can't be tucked into bed by 2 AM. If it were Thursday night, you'd be heading home from the bar about then. :-) Same for the drive over to Edmonton - leave at 2:00 PM and you can just get there for the anthems. Leave at noon (and maybe miss an afternoon class) and you're here for pre-game festivities.

Anything inside of 5 hours should be structured as a same-day trip. Those who want to turn it into an overnight event certainly can do so, but as you point out it takes a committed person to take a lot of time off for a 90 minute soccer match. If you want to do something overnight, but conserve the number of days off, think about coming in Tuesday night after work/school. Yah, you get in around midnight, but then you can enjoy Wednesday. Then rush home Wednesday night while yelling all the way home, "Canada beat Mexico, we're #1". :-)

It's not like the late hour will faze most Saskatchewan sports fans. How late do folks get home from a Sunday night Riders game, ready for work the next morning? Put in that context...2:00 AM (or 4:15 AM even) isn't so bad.

Given that you know the U of S, I'd focus on getting those folks out. Maybe talk to Campus Rec and see if you can do some promotion through them?

I've driven Regina to Commonwealth straight door-to-door more than once. And a friend drove to the U19 women’s final walked in the door, watched the match and then drove home.

No idea if there are hardcores out there, but maybe for Canada-Mexico? I can see some folks ditching class for a couple of days for that, for sure.

If we have some sort of a poster blitz for that game I could poster the U of R.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by davelee05

This might be a longshot, but do you think anyone would be interested in planning a trip up from Toronto? I think if we could get travel costs down to a reasonable price, we could find 20-40 people willing to go from Ontario.

Are you suggesting a bus trip to Edm?

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/before/grpexpress/#r0s2

Air Canada Group Express Features

* Special Pricing

Group Express offers reduced fares and guaranteed block space for groups travelling together on the same Air Canada flight to the same domestic, transborder or international destination up to eleven months in advance.

* Advance Seating

Generic advance seat selection for your group is completed at time of booking. Check Our Fleet for seat maps.

* Flexible Payment And Ticketing Terms:

Your deposit guarantees your base fare (taxes/surcharges/fees excluded) and block space. Full payment is not required until thirty days prior to departure. Some restrictions may apply.

Complimentary Tickets

In addition to our discounted pricing you can earn complimentary tickets for your international group travel on Air Canada/Jazz flights based on the number of ticketed passengers.

* You're One Call Away

For more information about Group Express you can reach one of our group representatives by calling the Group Express Desk, Monday - Friday.

Contact Group Express

quote:Originally posted by matthew

I've driven Regina to Commonwealth straight door-to-door more than once. And a friend drove to the U19 women’s final walked in the door, watched the match and then drove home.

And you're on The Voyageurs board, which is even more hard-core than the drive to Edmonton. [8D]

I think the question is whether you could entice people who are unaware or barely aware of the soccer match to drive seven hours each way. Rather unlikely, not impossible. The question is not that there are people willing to drive from Edmonton to San Francisco return for a single WC Qualifying match while stopping to watch March Madness college basketball. OK, probably only one person. :D

quote:

If we have some sort of a poster blitz for that game I could poster the U of R.

Never turn down a volunteer. Thanks for the offer; I look forward to seeing the poster for the October game. Maybe as part of the poster blitz you can include a Facebook page or e-mail address to help organize a car pool?

Archived