Today vs. Kansas City

Tuscan

A lackluster performance in my eyes. Defensively sloppy, uninspiring attacking, if TFC ever hopes to conquer the MLS they will need better performances and more consistency in their ability to score goals. Carver was bang on in what he said in the short post-match interview with Peacock, they still need that one guy who can be depended on to score goals almost at will. Dichio and Guevara are excellent strikers for what their roles are, but it's Cunningham who I'm not impressed with. I don't think he's got it anymore, he will probably at least reach #100, but not many after.

The bits I saw when I wasn't watching Holland v Russia looked like rubbish. Sometimes they look so good and then some games (today's what little i saw of it) they look like Under 10s having a knock about: ball constantly in the air; giving up possesion cheaply; putting the ball into touch for no reason. And so on. Giving up two points at home to the weakest team in the East is not how you get anywhere. You're right about Cunningham. Wow.

And I didn't see him much today but at the risk of death threats I'm going to put this one out there...Maurice Edu horribly over-rated? Again I didn't see him today but am I wrong in thinking he's not the greatest passer of the ball ever?

I was very disapointed.

Carver really had no excuse to put Guevarra on the bench until the 60th minute (from which point on he was our best player). The team lacks offensive conviction and the attacking players up front don't link up together well at all. Without guevara it's just a bunch of puzzle pieces that dont' fit together.

We need more play makers, more crafty players with the ball who keep it on the ground. Less wingers who run with their head down to the corner and wip in aimless crosses. And less defensive mids in the centre of the park who can't dribble and have limited passing range.

I've never been impressed with Cunningham. The only thing he's known for is scoring goals, and his strike rate is atrocious. Guavara scores and does so much more. I can't imagine Cunningham coming into the game and making much of a difference the way Guavara can, so I agree that Cunningham shouldn't have started.

Didn't see the game but a point is a point. Unless AG was feeling less than well there is no reason not to start him. He is the man for TFC and makes a huge difference when on the field.

Hopefully the coach will take a week and get his "A" team geared up because next is the Revs. I think TFC can win it on the road but only if they start their best and play their best. Taking a win on the road from the league leaders would be so sweat!

After watching the Russia/Holland match, tuning into this one was obviously going to be a big letdown, so my expectations weren't too high. That said, I found basic possession maintenance for both teams pretty spotty. In particular, I find the players' first touch to be really inconsistent: a guy hits a decent groundhugging pass only to have the receiver juggle it up to thigh level upon reception. Perhaps I'm just overly critical or the FieldTurf is a factor, who knows?

Finally, I will also submit my player who is falling into the category of rapidly wearing out his welcome: Robert. I know he's still a weapon on set pieces but to me he's just not cutting it in open play.

He's lost a yard of pace, gets dispossessed too easily, could have been sent off for lashing out at the KC player in the first half and, to top it off, gave up on a play in the second half when he was beaten badly on the touchline. Just quit, stood, and watched. Didn't provide any pursuit. Totally inexcusable.

Regarding Edu, I'd still have him in place of the very limited Harmse, though I agree with others that yesterday Harmse had one of his better games from a defensive standout. Otherwise, he's still way too anonymous in the passing game: even when he seems to be the best open option, his teammates seem reluctant to give him the ball. It seemed to me that when Edu got on the pitch he was far more involved in the passing game.

Well again I didn't have a decent look yesterday but in at least 2 or 3 games I've noticed serious lapses on his part (I know he's still young) where he took too long on the ball then either made the wrong decision or gave the ball away cheaply, half-assed passes, that kind of thing. Several of the midfielders may add up to a single playmaker but individually it can look pretty sketchy much of the time. I've sometimes seen TFC play well but I've rarely seen them play with any kind of urgency.

Well again I didn't have a decent look yesterday but in at least 2 or 3 games I've noticed serious lapses on his part (I know he's still young) where he took too long on the ball then either made the wrong decision or gave the ball away cheaply, half-assed passes, that kind of thing. Several of the midfielders may add up to a single playmaker but individually it can look pretty sketchy much of the time. I've sometimes seen TFC play well but I've rarely seen them play with any kind of urgency.

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

Finally, I will also submit my player who is falling into the category of rapidly wearing out his welcome: Robert. I know he's still a weapon on set pieces but to me he's just not cutting it in open play.

We lack people who can cut it offensively in open play period. I remember Mo Johnston talking about this being a fast, run and gun team that's supposed to outscore the other team or lose in some sort of shootout.

Personally I don't think he could spot offensive talent if it hit him in the face. Too many fuctional old-school positional players like Ricketts and Robinson. Not enough fluid players with the ball who can move all over the park and keep possession.

We lack people who can cut it offensively in open play period. I remember Mo Johnston talking about this being a fast, run and gun team that's supposed to outscore the other team or lose in some sort of shootout.

Personally I don't think he could spot offensive talent if it hit him in the face. Too many fuctional old-school positional players like Ricketts and Robinson. Not enough fluid players with the ball who can move all over the park and keep possession.

I don't think Edu has played as well this year compared to his rookie season, for sure, perhaps because of early season leg problems that took time to heal, I don't know. In general, I see a lot of easy giveaways from MLS level players, not just TFC's, either due to poor decision making or just plain lack of skill.

I don't think Edu has played as well this year compared to his rookie season, for sure, perhaps because of early season leg problems that took time to heal, I don't know. In general, I see a lot of easy giveaways from MLS level players, not just TFC's, either due to poor decision making or just plain lack of skill.

It's an interesting situation. In MLS you really can only buy so many skills before you are outside of your budget, so you have to pick what you want / can live without.

Teams like DCU, Chivas, heavily value possession. New England and Houston, seem to value some combination of technicality and physicality. We seem to value athletic ability and physicality over all else.

I'd generally agree, there are really only a few teams that can keep the ball in this league. I just feel this is something we should put more value on, because it should help facilitate the attack.

quote:Originally posted by ag futbol

I'd generally agree, there are really only a few teams that can keep the ball in this league. I just feel this is something we should put more value on, because it should help facilitate the attack.

Not only the attack, but also defence: being able to keep the ball a little longer, especially on the road and with a lead, helps give TFC a chance to take the sting out opposition pressure. I think back to the collapse at DC United a few weeks back. I realize it's easier said than done, but it's something for which any team should be striving.

Not only the attack, but also defence: being able to keep the ball a little longer, especially on the road and with a lead, helps give TFC a chance to take the sting out opposition pressure. I think back to the collapse at DC United a few weeks back. I realize it's easier said than done, but it's something for which any team should be striving.

Very true, we were lucky to be in that DC game at all. We basically scored on our only opportunities of the game. We easily could have been blown out, 3-2 was flattering compared to how we played.

Outside of Marshall, TFC really doesn't have one good defender with the ball. Serioux would be a huge luxury right now.

I like Wynne a lot, though as with the rest of the team he checks out sometimes. I think it was Ricketts's first game they linked up very well on the right wing. I got really excited because it seemed like this was part of the potential attacking answer (his runs down the right wing can be amazing, Wynne I mean). But since that game? Not so much.

What's amazing to me is that the ball control is so poor given how much slower the game is than in say the EPL (which is granted one of the top three leagues in the world, possibly the top).

Wynne is an athlete, first and foremost. You can't teach speed and he has buckets of it: when you watch him in 1 v 1 situations you think that he is taking a poor position allowing his opposing winger too much room to the touchline, but when the winger goes for it Wynne's recovery pace is pretty impressive. Last year he was used in midfield but I don't think he has the instinctive technical skills to be a flank midfielder/winger: fullback is his spot. And remember, he doesn't play with Ricketts all the time on that side because the flank midfielders switch quite often and Robert sees service there (which obviously means Wynne has to position himself accordingly for the lack of defensive support he'll receive when a counterattack occurs)

You're absolutely right and maybe in a few yrs when Wynne slows down his weaknesses will be more exposed, although he could also be playing that risky game because he knows he can get away with it. Considering how effective those overlapping runs were with Ricketts though I can't understand why Ricketts has moved from there so much. You're bang on about Robert. His classic move seems to be wander around barely aware you're on a football pitch for five minutes, lacklusterly take a pass, almost lose the ball then decide instead of laying it off to run through two guys at half-speed, then lose possession. Thanks for coming out bud. As for defensive cover? You're right forget about it.

It's true Wynne is no playmaker but the one live game I saw (I live in NS) was last fall v NY and to me he was the most impressive player on the field. A run down the wing and banging it in the box may not be the height of sophistication but as has been mentioned above this is a league where I think you can get away with it.

You guys are blaming players for that tie? The coach showed he really isn't up to standards. You do not sit Guevara, Edu, Brennan in order to make a statement about team chemistry. Moron cost TFC 2 points.

quote:Originally posted by Most Scottish Man in Cdn.

Perhaps. But do you think that Guevara's occasional moments of brilliance would have made enough of a difference for a win?

Edu, Guevara and Brennan would have made the difference. They are vastly superior to who started in their stead. Riding a winning lineup is one thing. Keeping out established internationals who got you on that roll in the first place is another altogether.

Archived