R.O.B. for Canada?

themodelcitizen

random thought, but I don't think Ronnie O has been cap-tied for either the Republic of Ireland or the US. Not sure that Immigration Canada would expedite the visa process for sporting reasons alone, but if Ronnie stays fit, he could be a huge help for our 2010 qualifying campaign. I'd hate to see the international chances for someone like Iain Hume or Stephen Ademolu suffer as a result, but Ronnie's in his prime and, barring injuries, should easily get 10+ assists in MLS in 2008.

Any thoughts? may just be Friday afternoon daydreaming, but we need something to occupy us with MLS still in its off-season.

Interesting idea, but I think we should spend the money and effort in getting

our current team more friendlies and get better. No disrespect, but we need

more prep time and funding ... not a possible "impact player" that would miraculously

be the missing ingredient. (Maybe JDG2, but whatever.)

Would you say that RO'B is better/comparable to Julian, Atiba, or our current players

playing in Europe?

quote:I am pretty sure I recall reading that ROB played for Ireland at the youth level...some Irish team that won a euro youth championship. If that is a correct recollection, then the point is moot.

FIFA rules say that once you play for the Senior "A" side, then you cannot play for another Senior "A" national side. Ronnie O'Brien played for the Ireland U-16s, I think, but that wouldn't prevent him from playing for Canada. I've actually been thinking about the idea of internationals playing for Toronto FC or any of the Canadian clubs playing for the national side since residency in Canada is three years, which in international terms is a pretty short period of time.

quote:Originally posted by redhat

Would you say that RO'B is better/comparable to Julian, Atiba, or our current players

playing in Europe?

you're right, personally I'd rather see Hume, Nakajima, etc given the chance. Was just thinking about loud -- who knows how much depth we'll need during the qualifying cycle.

quote:Originally posted by themodelcitizen

you're right, personally I'd rather see Hume, Nakajima, etc given the chance. Was just thinking about loud -- who knows how much depth we'll need during the qualifying cycle.

No problem, it's still an interesting idea...;)

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

I am pretty sure I recall reading that ROB played for Ireland at the youth level...some Irish team that won a euro youth championship. If that is a correct recollection, then the point is moot.

Yeah he was the other big star in the Irish youth team that won the Euro, alongside Robbie Keane and Damien Duff. But I'm ignorant as to what that counts fr with FIFA, I this it was U16???

quote: He's capped to Ireland. Plus, he's irish and identifies as such.

He's capped to Ireland at the U16 level, which would allow him to play for Canada in A level internationals. Regardless I doubt that O'Brien would accept a call up nor do I think that he would add enough to the national side other then as general depth on the right side of the pitch.

quote:Originally posted by PostmanPat

He's capped to Ireland at the U16 level, which would allow him to play for Canada in A level internationals. Regardless I doubt that O'Brien would accept a call up nor do I think that he would add enough to the national side other then as general depth on the right side of the pitch.

No it would not. If he is capped at the youth level for Ireland in an official competition then he is cap-tied permanently. Had he chosen to represent another country that he was eligible for prior to his 21st bday he could have switched, but it's too late now.

Besides, he's Irish. Case closed.

Archived