Voyageurs Cup 2007 Match 2: Vancouver vs Montreal [R]

As has always been the case, the away-goals rule will apply. So Montreal will win with any draw with goals.

According to the tiebreakers used in all previous years (ignoring the ones that don't make sense this season), next comes overall league results. However, since there are only two teams, I was thinking we may want to consider playoff matches if Montreal and Vancouver meet each other. Hopefully this will be irrelevant after tonight's game.

I signed up for USL Live today just for this (though I paid for a month, a better deal as long as I watch just two more games), and they are "experiencing technical difficulties". Grrrrr.

Peter Schaad mentioned the Voyageurs Cup a few times already, as he usually does. Bob Lilley also mentioned it in a match preview:

quote:Lilley knows the significance of a game between Canada’s two USL-1 clubs. “It’s always a big match-up, but it seems to have grown in stature the last couple of years because of the history and a lot of the players that have played with both clubs,” he said. “Anytime you eliminate a team in a playoff run, as we did to Montreal last year, that’s going to be a motivator for them. I also think the big trade is also going to peak a lot of interest, not only here or in Montreal, but throughout the league. It is a Canadian rivalry, and Montreal have been able to hold on to the Voyageurs Cup for a number of years, so it is a big game on a number of fronts. Our team has played pretty well in big games over the last couple of years, so I would expect us to be ready.”
5 minutes into the game now. 0-0.

People in Vancouver can watch the game on Shaw Cable 4. It will be repeated at 10 pm local time on the Shaw Multicultural channel with Mandarin commentary.

What is it with USL Live games in Vancouver? Seems to have had a few technical difficulties this season. It's kind of swaying me to switch to the MLS package instead for next season. It's a hell of a lot cheaper.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Do they ever actually get the problem fixed during the game? Will the whole game be available later?

0-0 after 30 minutes.

The other times they had the problem it was sorted out and not much of the game was missed. I see it's still not available, I'm not sure if they'll get it up later. You haven't missed anything the commentators just mentioned at the 35 minute mark that unfortunately this game hasn't started to simmer yet. A nice way of saying it's a stop and start snooze fest.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

You haven't missed anything the commentators just mentioned at the 35 minute mark that unfortunately this game hasn't started to simmer yet. A nice way of saying it's a stop and start snooze fest.

Yeah, I'm listening to it...

...and just as we're saying that, goal Montreal! Leduc, a few minutes into first half injury time.

Phew, don't have to worry about those extra tiebreakers now. But I hope someone wins outright.

Montreal will win outright, if the referee gets his head out of his butt.

Gjertsen is getting screwed with these foul calls. Ze Roberto should have got a yellow card for diving on that last foul call on the clean shoulder to shoulder contact he had with Gjertsen. As it was he nearly ended up cracking his head into the camera tripod on the sideline. What a twit.

It's a final. Colour commentator Alan Errington waxing poetic on the game saying it wasn't a bad match (not if you consider losing 0-2 at home to a team that played just 48 hours earlier not a bad match) and then Martin Nash blaming the referee for the loss in a post game interview.

Aside from calling a foul every time a player went down the refereeing did not have any input in the final outcome. It was suprising to hear a veteran player like Nash blame the ref, when they should be blaming their coach and themselves.....and the curse I put on the team!:D

quote:Originally posted by DJT

They've now posted: "This event is VOD only and will be available at 11pm on 8-19-07." Strange.

Halfway through the second half, same score.

This is another reason why I will re-consider USL live for next season. At least (we hope) this event was video on demand for techical problem reasons. However this has happened a few times for other games, most noticeably Miami home games who has had it happen about 5 or 6 times this season. They do it because they are broadcasting the game on local television and don't want anyone else to be showing it at the same time. It makes no sense considering it screws anyone outside of Miami a chance to watch the game live.

It's called USL Live, not USL mostly Live.

I don't think it should be trashed just because there are only two teams vying for it and in it's history only one team has won it. It's a real trophy that some Voyageurs dipped in their own pockets to fund. You don't just throw it away. As for "reforming" it, just what could be done?

The trouble is that with TFC, the point of the Cup is diminished, because not all top Canadian teams play each other in competitive play. Now, I'm guessing that if (when?) a 2nd Canadian team enters MLS, we'll simply move the Cup up to the MLS teams.

That being said, until then it might be a bit dull.

Archived