Voyageurs Cup 2007 Match 2: Vancouver vs Montreal [R]

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Jamit

In my opinion (which of course means nothing) the VCup should be reformed or trashed. I mean is there really any point to it?

The reason we keep it is to not lose it, as you cannot have a short term vision of these things. We have had times when there were quite a few teams involved, this year is the "shortest" Cup, but since things evolve and change and we put the effort in to start it, it should continue.

If we have a third or fourth USL team in two years folks will end up saying that thank goodness we did not trash it.

As for Montreal winning six straight, well they have never won unfairly. It is a matter of competing, and makes someone taking it off them that much bigger an event.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

The trouble is that with TFC, the point of the Cup is diminished, because not all top Canadian teams play each other in competitive play. Now, I'm guessing that if (when?) a 2nd Canadian team enters MLS, we'll simply move the Cup up to the MLS teams.

That being said, until then it might be a bit dull.

Well the cup goes to the top Canadian teams that face each other in league play. Right now thats the USL-1. If and when another Canadian team enters MLS then I suppose thats what we do, move the Cup up to MLS teams.

The point of the VCup was to recognize the "best" Canadian team. It no longer serves that point as TFC in a superior league causes doubt (even if they might not actually be better). The VCup should not be scrapped. It was an unfortunate year. It happens.

Archived