What now with Pelerud et al

Trillium

So what does Canadian soccer do now ?

To me the provincial bodies have to speak out publically ..that is the presidents of each provincial body ...declaring they support Pelerud and want him to continue.

Anything less at this time ... would surely weaken what ever player resolve can be salvaged under Pelerud's coaching leadership.

The fact the residential camp was paid for by a private benefactor does not absolve the provincail presidents from stepping up and making public statements about the Womens National Team.

Or... does someone swallow there personal pride and call in Hooper ...to help put this train back in the rails in time for China ?

Should she be brought in as a team captian.../ player ..or as player / assistant coach to a interim national coach perhaps the former Men's National team candidate ..who coached Brasils women in a Olympic tournament ...

What is Colin Linford doing ..and more interesting..in some ways ..is will the now ...awakened media start asking some tough questions once Pelerud is out of the cocoon of the Pan American games..press conferences ?

The CSA board comprises the presidents of the provincial bodies plus a few other directors, that is the main problem! It is an association of provincial bodies, all of which have their own agendas. What we need is an independent, directly elected national association.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

The CSA board comprises the presidents of the provincial bodies plus a few other directors, that is the main problem! It is an association of provincial bodies, all of which have their own agendas. What we need is an independent, directly elected national association.

By golly Richard! you are making sense.

I have advocated for a directly elected, independent national body within a federation of provincial bodies for years now.

Do you think the clubs in BC would push to ...replace the BC Soccer Association ..and take on a role in a direct election CSA ...that is to push the BC association ..to put up a resolution for the next CSA AGM to become a direct vote association with each club getting a weighted vote?

Are the big membership clubs in BC politically aware re the CSA and would such ..clubs see it as there role to advocate for change ?

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

Do you think the clubs in BC would push to ...replace the BC Soccer Association ..and take on a role in a direct election CSA ...that is to push the BC association ..to put up a resolution for the next CSA AGM to become a direct vote association with each club getting a weighted vote?

Are the big membership clubs in BC politically aware re the CSA and would such ..clubs see it as there role to advocate for change ?

If not the Clubs, who else then. The CSA is not serving the Clubs now. I don't think the CSA is serving itself either.

I have advocated for a directly elected, independent national body within a federation of provincial bodies for years now.

I too suggested a Federation back in 1997/98. When did you have your epiphany Richard?

"The CSA board comprises the presidents of the provincial bodies plus a few other directors, that is the main problem! It is an association of provincial bodies, all of which have their own agendas. What we need is an independent, directly elected national association."

Really Richard? You think? Captain obvious, anyway even though I never recall you with this point of view, I certainly agree with you.

I and many others since 1985 endeavored on and off again and then just went our own way developing soccer in Canada in our own programs.

Pellerud may squeeze some good out of this crap he has made but its redundant, he is futile as a coach and split this team over ego.

"To me the provincial bodies have to speak out publically ..that is the presidents of each provincial body ...declaring they support Pelerud and want him to continue.

Anything less at this time ... would surely weaken what ever player resolve can be salvaged under Pelerud's coaching leadership.

The fact the residential camp was paid for by a private benefactor does not absolve the provincail presidents from stepping up and making public statements about the Womens National Team.

Or... does someone swallow there personal pride and call in Hooper ...to help put this train back in the rails in time for China ?

Should she be brought in as a team captian.../ player ..or as player / assistant coach to a interim national coach perhaps the former Men's National team candidate ..who coached Brasils women in a Olympic tournament ... "

Good points however it is lost. It takes so much work and timing to create team chemistry,confidence and support but only one dumb move or person to ruin it. I was so damn happy and proud of the Womens team .

Pelllerud,CSA and Kerfoot killed the beauty and passion of the Womens team at a time when many thought it can only blossom into something amazing.They also killed any chance of Hooper and the team getting back together even without Hooper. What a disgrace and a true shame.

The most important point is until like Richard said we achieve "directly elected, independent national body within a federation of provincial bodies" there is no hope and we must collectively focus and put all of our energy into this.Maybe the timing is right now. I tried for a very long time but I know timing is critical.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

I too suggested a Federation back in 1997/98. When did you have your epiphany Richard?

Oh, many years ago but it was no epiphany. It came after considerable soul searching and direct involvement in the game and its administration through my sons from club house leagues to the national team and elite player program. What's been your involvement?

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

No. The clubs in the main have little interest beyond anything of immediate concern to them, the leagues too. Under the present arrangement in BC, soccer in the province is essentially run by a few 'personalities' that dominate operation of the bigger leagues. They appear to have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo.

The vast majority of people involved in or associated with soccer in this country are really only interested in their own involvement or that of their children, then their own team, club and league as far as it affects them personally. Much beyond that and the real interest rapidly evaporates. As long as there is a field, an opponent and a referee for the next game then who cares about the BCSA or the CSA.

There are a few exceptions as always but thats how I see it anyway.

The CSA did nothing for a year since the players betrayed their captain and Pellerud stood by. The CSA refused to talk let alone solve the matter. Now with a male chauvinist at the helm (Colin), expect nothing more.

That was because the matter was sub judice and the CSA was a named party.

That was because the matter was sub judice and the CSA was a named party.

No, no, that came much later. Initially Kevin refused to addressed the matter. Much later after Pipe leaving, the CSA still refusing to deal with it agreed "in writing" to allow the dispute to be dealt by the SDRCC.

Oh, many years ago but it was no epiphany. It came after considerable soul searching and direct involvement in the game and its administration through my sons from club house leagues to the national team and elite player program. What's been your involvement?

My involvement has been varied over many years. However I started questioning the CSA running during the last days of Bobby L.

I am not sure how closely .. the player blogs were read... but I sense there is lot of work to be done ...with them, I was kinda suprised they were not taken as group to Copa to play and practice on the beach at least one day... they in the blogs did not seem loose or comfortable with international travel...that versus what other Pan athletes ..felt and explained ...how the dealt with the pressures of competition.

My feeling is something is very wrong in the team psyche. It may well be the residual of the Hopper affair...and the players may well be wondering if the team has the right captain ...and leadership in the player cadre.

Heck is seemed the bonded to Marnie Mcbeen more then to the CSA officials... thats telling...to me.

No, no, that came much later. Initially Kevin refused to addressed the matter. Much later after Pipe leaving, the CSA still refusing to deal with it agreed "in writing" to allow the dispute to be dealt by the SDRCC.

The players retained legal counsel at the outset and threatened legal action. That puts it sub judice and effectively muzzled the public voice of the CSA. Even the players went quiet soon after.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone knows when exactly does Pellerud's contract with the CSA expires? Last I heard he intends to return to Norway after that. I wonder what can be expect from the CSA as to search for a new coach. I am hoping it will not be another song and dance ala Simoes.

The logical thinking about a coach's contract would be that it expires after a World Cup. For example, I think it would be strange if it expired next June. I'd like to see Pellerud replaced after this tournament because I don't think he is having our women play to their ability. We have a lot of talent on the squad and in the system, but I always see kick and run and physical play. We can play better than that.

As for who, well, it wouldn't shock me to see Ian Bridge get another kick at it. I think that he would be the easy answer. It is the CSA. Otherwise, I think Bob Birarda should see some consideration.

Birarda could be a good fit for the CSA, but he would need some quality technical coaches.

One such tech coach won’t be Charmaine Hooper – who I think will one day be a very good coach.

From the technical pov, I’ll throw in Carla Chin-Baker as a technical coach. She’a former keeper for the WNT, played in the 1995 Women's World Cup.

She has coached at Cornell, Notre Dame & Iowa in the NCAA. Notre Dame won the NCAAs in 95 while she was an assistant. No idea why she would have choose Iowa, perhaps because it was a head coaching position, but it was never a good fit which sort of explains why she resigned.

She’s a USSF technical coach (goalkeepers) and regional coach and holds a USSF A license badge.

She was successful as a player at both the club (Oakville & Scar Utd) & school (MAC & York) levels. When she lived in Dallas, she achieved success as a youth coach with the D’Feeters program, a very strong girls program. Some of her former players (goalkeepers and players) have been very successful within the USSF and NCAA.

Chin-Baker could be that “been-there-done-that” type coach who could relate to the players far better than Pelerud or Bridge could ever dream of.

my .02

quote:Originally posted by RJB

The logical thinking about a coach's contract would be that it expires after a World Cup. For example, I think it would be strange if it expired next June. I'd like to see Pellerud replaced after this tournament because I don't think he is having our women play to their ability. We have a lot of talent on the squad and in the system, but I always see kick and run and physical play. We can play better than that.

As for who, well, it wouldn't shock me to see Ian Bridge get another kick at it. I think that he would be the easy answer. It is the CSA. Otherwise, I think Bob Birarda should see some consideration.

I know its the CSA, but doesn't a coach usually have to prove themselves before they get a position like Head Coach of a national team? I don't follow the women's game too much, but hasn't Ian Bridge not done very well the last two U-20 world cups, and didn't Birarda's Whitecaps not even make the playoffs this year? I think they both did well with Sinclair in their line-upes, but hell I could do well with Sinclair in my line-up. Don't we have anyone else in the country capable of getting a shot without recycling two guys who really haven't done anything? Or am I off base here and they are really the best we have got?

quote:Originally posted by bjarne

I know its the CSA, but doesn't a coach usually have to prove themselves before they get a position like Head Coach of a national team? I don't follow the women's game too much, but hasn't Ian Bridge not done very well the last two U-20 world cups, and didn't Birarda's Whitecaps not even make the playoffs this year? I think they both did well with Sinclair in their line-upes, but hell I could do well with Sinclair in my line-up. Don't we have anyone else in the country capable of getting a shot without recycling two guys who really haven't done anything? Or am I off base here and they are really the best we have got?

I don't think you are off base at all. The WNT needs some new coaching blood, somebody who is more technical and current in soccer development. But knowing the CSA I don't expect any startling choices specially with Linford who does not think much of women soccer. Bridge has been spoiled working too long beside Pellerud and his U20 did very poorly in the last WC. Birarda is not all that bad, but his Whitecaps team is full of WNT players in a league that may not be as strong as needed. In any event he would just perpetuate the conflict of interest that exists now. I think there are lots of capable coaches around, both men and women, who may not be world famous but could do a far better job than Pellerud has done in the last few years. His time is long passed.

quote: I think there are lots of capable coaches around, both men and women, who may not be world famous but could do a far better job than Pellerud has done in the last few years. His time is long passed.

I agree with you ref.

But don't take this question the wrong way ref, but who?

The CSA needs names.

CSA needs to generate money & give more than $150K to the WNT WWC team before they need a coach.

I was at the roster announcement & the players were wearing socks w/ holes in them for the photo shoot. If you look at the pics you will see last seasons kit.

No money = no development & the players coming up will go to the NCAA.

If it wasn't for Kerfoot & the teams commitment there would be no WNT for the WWC.

quote:Originally posted by CoachRich

CSA needs to generate money & give more than $150K to the WNT WWC team before they need a coach.

I was at the roster announcement & the players were wearing socks w/ holes in them for the photo shoot. If you look at the pics you will see last seasons kit.

No money = no development & the players coming up will go to the NCAA.

If it wasn't for Kerfoot & the teams commitment there would be no WNT for the WWC.

Oh please! you are breaking my heart. I too have holes in my socks and haven't had a new piece of clothing in years. Maybe Pellerud could house the team in his rent free Kerfoot mansion. A bad coach and bad soccer has nothing to do with money. Or looking at it from the opposite side, the money has been good for the coach for 8 years, no?

Archived