What now with Pelerud et al

Trillium

quote:Originally posted by CoachRich

The Ref - Whether it's Waiters, Simoes or Pellerud if there is no money for the players development program who should carry the blame then?

Don't try to make this a money or CSA thing. Bad coaching and bad soccer rests with the coach.

quote: I think there are lots of capable coaches around, both men and women, who may not be world famous but could do a far better job than Pellerud has done in the last few years. His time is long passed.

Just what we need "a capable coach". That is really inspiring. So it sounds like you would hire some competent, but not great coach probably with no meaningful international experience to run the entire Women's program and coach the senior team. I think Linford would like you. This way he could hire someone cheap, they would drive Canada down to 20th in the rankings, people would lose interest and he could justify pulling even more funding from the team. Brilliant!

Last I heard the coach has a contract until after the 08 Olympics. Then he retires. The Olympics is the end of the Women's International soccer cycle. Kind of logical that his contract would end then.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

Don't try to make this a money or CSA thing. Bad coaching and bad soccer rests with the coach.

Successfully coaching a team is based upon a development pathway / program designed by the coach or a organization. It costs money to do this. If the money is not available don't expcet to see certain levels of results. This is a basic principle & methodology of successful sports that even small countries understand.

Examples of this problem can be found at the youth level as well where certain age level programs in a club get more money than others. OR you get a coach who develops a program spends lots of time & money vs a coach who comes out to babysit. It's simple which teams are going to perform better.

Botttomline is until the CSA changes maybe to a federation or provinces or youth pulls out, development in Canadian soccer will be stuck.

Blaming coaches & players who are part of the system is easy but changing the system they are in is more important & harder to change. Linford & the suits should be gone end of story.

Successfully coaching a team is based upon a development pathway / program designed by the coach or a organization. It costs money to do this. If the money is not available don't expcet to see certain levels of results. This is a basic principle & methodology of successful sports that even small countries understand.

Examples of this problem can be found at the youth level as well where certain age level programs in a club get more money than others. OR you get a coach who develops a program spends lots of time & money vs a coach who comes out to babysit. It's simple which teams are going to perform better.

Botttomline is until the CSA changes maybe to a federation or provinces or youth pulls out, development in Canadian soccer will be stuck.

Blaming coaches & players who are part of the system is easy but changing the system they are in is more important & harder to change. Linford & the suits should be gone end of story.

You can believe whatever you want and reduce all of it to money. It is your time you are wasting. And don't put words in my mouth, I have not blame the players for the poor soccer the WNT plays. It is not their fault that the coach has fallen behind and has acted unprofessional. Bad coaching resulting in bad soccer is the fault of the coach, nobody else. And don't tell me the coach had not money, he is paid a handsome salary and has received money from Kerfoot, more than most.

So if you want to think that Pellerud walks on water, knock yourself out.

The Ref - I guess all the statements the players have made to the press about the lack of money from the CSA about their development program doesn't carry much weight for you.

Acting unprofessional is a pretty broad statement.

Kerfoot's money was only for the residency which was only part of the development program the WNT was hoping for. The other part was the CSA coming up w/ some money for some home games w/ top 9 competition but according to Linford hosting a game would bankrupt the CSA. Compare that to the MNT U20's who got $500K from Alberta SA, over $5M from the Feds even before FIFA & CSA kicked any $ in. Then include sponsorship which the CSA neglected to get the WNT for years. You just have to read the CSA web site to see why Sports Canada gives the WNT more money for WC's & the Olympics....it's called results.

Coaching is only one of many elements in team & player development programs. If you believe it's just coaching it's your time you are are wasting.

Maybe the only common ground we share is that the CSA has got to change or go.

The Ref - I guess all the statements the players have made to the press about the lack of money from the CSA about their development program doesn't carry much weight for you.

Acting unprofessional is a pretty broad statement.

Kerfoot's money was only for the residency which was only part of the development program the WNT was hoping for. The other part was the CSA coming up w/ some money for some home games w/ top 9 competition but according to Linford hosting a game would bankrupt the CSA. Compare that to the MNT U20's who got $500K from Alberta SA, over $5M from the Feds even before FIFA & CSA kicked any $ in. Then include sponsorship which the CSA neglected to get the WNT for years. You just have to read the CSA web site to see why Sports Canada gives the WNT more money for WC's & the Olympics....it's called results.

Coaching is only one of many elements in team & player development programs. If you believe it's just coaching it's your time you are are wasting.

Maybe the only common ground we share is that the CSA has got to change or go.

Obviously your mind is set. But what the heck, this is just an exchange of opinions. Surely the MNT U20 got lots of money, but what good did it do. Insofar as the women statements to the press about funding, they are fantastic, but as I said before, I am not talking about money, my beef is with coaching and soccer, period.

The Ref -

Soccer Fed I'm in as I think most youth clubs are asking what is the money being spent on. This season, I hope to see youth clubs in Vancouver speaking out.

Coaching - Yep, my mind is set as long as the WNT players have buy in, I can support the program & do. Coaching in Canada, well that's another story as I see the future of soccer being a super clubs like Euro clubs & a Fed model similar to what they have in the USA.

Posted - 05/11/2007: 08:43:36 - back in the we're-so-much-stronger-now days, one day before the world realized the wheels were off the cart (US 2-6 blowout):

quote:

They'll take us apart.

The jigs up.

I saw that one coming clear as day, and I've got the crystal ball out again.

Given the prices paid, money spent and animosity generated, anything other than a medal will see the coach removed immediately. There is no point in having the same regime in place for yet another failed Olympic birth redux. And if that happens, the only acceptable candidate will be someone far outside the current problematic context.

quote:Originally posted by Vic

Scratch that. For all intents and purposes, the results on the field are insignificant. With the Linford implosion and CSA power vacuum, nothing can or will happen to the women's program.

Actually Vic if the team fails to win a medal in china..i do see Pelerud gone ...and replaced by a Canadain ... the one currently most successfull national team coach the CSA has ever had.

The only one to lead Canada to wins against major soccer nations in international FIFA senior level events...

and not a long ball advocate.

take a guess who..it is.

quote:Originally posted by Vic

Scratch that. For all intents and purposes, the results on the field are insignificant. With the Linford implosion and CSA power vacuum, nothing can or will happen to the women's program.

Actually Vic if the team fails to win a medal in china..i do see Pelerud gone ...and replaced by a Canadain ... the one currently most successfull national team coach the CSA has ever had.

The only one to lead Canada to wins against major soccer nations in international FIFA senior level events...

and not a long ball advocate.

take a guess who..it is.

No doubt he'd do a great job, even at his age, but there are a few women out there I think would be better fits to go after whenever the time comes. With 'the time' being when the CSA is sorted out enough to manage a decision of that scope and stature, which looks like it will be a long, long time away.

Chuckle-of-the-day:

http://moorewriters.com/ruth/?p=33

"there are only two positions you can play for Canada anymore: goalkeeper or somewhere in front of that."

Archived