CBC Radio - Jonothan DeGuzman

JayWay

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

I am pretty sure that Bobby Deguzman is just interested in what is best for his sons. Many parents make jokes about their kids being a retirement vehicle, especially when those kids aer successful at something. I am sure that in his value structure, money might well be ahead of patriotism...this is afterall a guy who left his home country to make a better life for himself. He just saw his older son come very close to having his career ended by Bocanegra and he undoubtedly is of the opinion that his sons should maximize their income while they can.

Now, I happen to think Bobby and Jonathon have been too conservative by hedging and they have missed the first wave of change in Canada. The opportunities that could have come his way by starring for Canada in the U-20. Ultimately I think he'll miss the boat completely and choose Holland. I am pretty sure that the DeGuzman family and their advisors do not recognize that the potential of soccer in this country is no longer dependent upon the CSA. He'll have more succes internationally, but make less money on the endorsement front.

Excellent observations, especially about endorsements and missing the boat. Sure, there is still time for Jono, but the U20s would have been his coming out party and the endorsements would have flowed from there.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If becks works out jono could be one the most marketable people in Canada, and even if there looking out for themselves, there's a line, sometimes it's religion, sometimes it's patriotism but you have to be willing to through down for your people or else it doesn't really matter how much money you got, there will be a hole inside. This is why alot of people volunteer for the army when wars on, because they'd rather die then abandon their deepest loyalties, warmest feelings and pride, if I were brett hull I'd have dummied myself long ago.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Soju

Not playing for Canada in the U20s is actually crazy. How long does he think his career's going to last? This is it man, seize it!

Exactly. You are in the game for experiences. So he wants to play for Holland as he has a better chance of the World Cup. And the u20 WC, wouldn't that be a beautiful experience in your career, alongside other future stars? Well he missed that one. And if he does not choose Canada I hope he keeps missing them, for all I care he can blow out his knee first Dutch national team game he gets.

The U20 was good enough for Maradonna and Messi, but not for Jonno.

Something about this kid screams primadonna. The obsession with sponsorship, the rejection of any and all youth competitions... it all suggests a serious lack of humility from a boy who has achieved so little.

Something about this kid screams primadonna. The obsession with sponsorship, the rejection of any and all youth competitions... it all suggests a serious lack of humility from a boy who has achieved so little.

Guys, alot can happen in the next couple of years. Let's see how Jono pans out, there might be injuries, inconsistent play, pressure of expectations etc. and he may not even be good enough for Canada in the next cycle.

But if he does become a star and really wants to be Dutch then we'll get out the knives (metaphorically). Until then let's not wish grave ill to the kid.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Guys, alot can happen in the next couple of years. Let's see how Jono pans out, there might be injuries, inconsistent play, pressure of expectations etc. and he may not even be good enough for Canada in the next cycle.

But if he does become a star and really wants to be Dutch then we'll get out the knives (metaphorically). Until then let's not wish grave ill to the kid.

knives is a little extreme, I always imagined that if he played for the dutch and came back to canada one day a warm sticky liquid would seem to be falling from the sky and he'd look up to see a willy hanging over the side of a building.

Guys , you really should cut giving Jono some slack.

He has had a very very difficult year. First he was involved in the worst season of Feyenoord for at least the last 20 years. A 3rd choice striker from ajax was bought , supporters got rid of the chairman , then the story came that Feyenoord were in big debts and Feyenoord kept losing away games by at least a 3 goal margin....

And at the end of the season he became a father as well which wasnt really planned. He also has got very dubious friends to say the least...

He was a star 2 years ago when he broke through to the first XI and last year was difficult. This MUST be his year and his time to prove again what a immense talent he his.

Feyenoord have bought 4 top quality players (Roy Makaay - Ex Bayern Munich , Giovanni van Bronckhorst - Ex Barcelona , Kevin Hofland - Ex Wolfsburg and Tim de Cler - Ex AZ) and maybe more will follow.

They are all very experienced and they have so much to teach all of the youngsters so this is the make or break year.

This will be the probable line-up for this year...

________________Timmer__________________

__Lucius_____Vlaar____Hofland_____De Cler__

____________Van Bronckhorst________________

______Bruins___________________Drenthe______

________________De Guzman____________________

_________Makaay______________Slory___________

Feyenoord will finally be playing again for the championship with 10 dutch players and 1 Canuck who has the chance to get a Dutch passport.

What does this have to do with him playing for Canada?

quote:Originally posted by SCF08

Guys , you really should cut giving Jono some slack.

He has had a very very difficult year. First he was involved in the worst season of Feyenoord for at least the last 20 years. A 3rd choice striker from ajax was bought , supporters got rid of the chairman , then the story came that Feyenoord were in big debts and Feyenoord kept losing away games by at least a 3 goal margin....

And at the end of the season he became a father as well which wasnt really planned. He also has got very dubious friends to say the least...

He was a star 2 years ago when he broke through to the first XI and last year was difficult. This MUST be his year and his time to prove again what a immense talent he his.

Feyenoord have bought 4 top quality players (Roy Makaay - Ex Bayern Munich , Giovanni van Bronckhorst - Ex Barcelona , Kevin Hofland - Ex Wolfsburg and Tim de Cler - Ex AZ) and maybe more will follow.

They are all very experienced and they have so much to teach all of the youngsters so this is the make or break year.

This will be the probable line-up for this year...

________________Timmer__________________

__Lucius_____Vlaar____Hofland_____De Cler__

____________Van Bronckhorst________________

______Bruins___________________Drenthe______

________________De Guzman____________________

_________Makaay______________Slory___________

Feyenoord will finally be playing again for the championship with 10 dutch players and 1 Canuck who has the chance to get a Dutch passport.

quote:Originally posted by JayWay

Ha, great post.

Archived