CBC Radio - Jonothan DeGuzman

JayWay

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by JayWay

http://www.cbc.ca/w6/audio.html

Fast forward to the 23rd minute.

If you don't like his father now, this interview isn't likely to change your opinion.

I wonder how Julian feels playing for crap. BTW, Bobby should get over what some local yocals did when Jonathan was a kid. What has that got to do with playing for Canada? Hasn't Holland missed any World Cups? Canada's chances are fine so they can throw that excuse out the window.

Jono doesn't quite get it, the world cup is not about getting yourself to the highest level, it's about getting your country to the highest level, it's the ultimate in team not individual spirit. You are representing the fans even moreso then in club competition. Honestly, I know the world cup may not pure in reality but thats what it's about, a pure and equal competition between nations. When someone says "I want to play in the world cup", it seems so wrong because it should be "I want to get my team in the world cup". Alot of players who may have a role in WCQ due to injuries and fatigue and who know they probably won't make the final squad will still give everything they got for their country.

I may be pissing people off but were countrymen, me and deguz are closer to being brothers then any dutch stranger or even a stranger from whatever countries his family is originally from and it is like spitting in my face for him to say, 'I wanna pretend to be dutch to get me where I want to go and eff all these losers from where I came from, there just suckers' and for his dad to tell him to be selfish (what kinda person jumps ship at a little adversity? you should be down for the nation even if they hate you, it's called having some god damned charecter) is literally like taking a giant steamy crap on me, the world cup isn't about the country as in the infrastructure, it's about people, that's why you see people from places like haiti (poorest country in the america's) singing there anthem everytime they leave and enter their country, because it is their place, they wants whats best for their people first and themselves second, sometimes doing things for themselves is whats best for their country, De guzman going dutch is not best for canada.

I don't care what excuses bobby makes for jono, if he goes selfish and says he's playing for the dutch, that tells me, he'd rather get as popular as HE can, rather then represent his countrymen (how can you have so little pride that when the call really comes, you don't feel like 500% better at the idea of representing your people) he is not my countryman if he won't stand up for me, it bothers me immensely when someone like hargreaves or conrad black claims to be canadian, he wasn't there for us when we needed him so why should we be there for them, luckily for them were nice people and stand up for our own even if they are bastards.

and I doubt he'd ever be treated as a normal dutchman (they'll always know they stole him and he's actually been raised different) as he would be a canadian.

Maybe Julian's dad is just a 'little' frustrated about the CSA.

Pointing out incidents when JdG2 was 10 or 12 years old is strange,

if not bordering on the ridiculous, even if the CSA could have changed things.

But Julian's success (Gold Cup MVP!) is still a glowing sign that there

is no shame in representing Canada and you can still have very good career.

The good news is that dad is not preventing Julian from participating in MNT

games, and may do the same for the younger one.

Juby,

In Jono's defense, I don't believe he's ever given the impression that he wants to "pretend to be Dutch." One thing that separates Jono from the Whore is the upfront manner in which the former has conducted his decision making process. Jono, and certainly his father, have always been frank regarding the pragmatic motivations behind a potential move to the Dutch national team. Never have I heard the sort of crap about "feeling so and so" or "growing up so and so" coming from Jono that we heard from the Whore. The ironic thing being, of course, of the two, Jono has a much stronger claim to his adopted homeland than does the Whore to England.

you are right that it's a slightly smaller spitty in my face, and I was putting words into his mouth but by 'I'll pretend to be dutch' I mean play for the dutch, cause it's being first person he knows whats up, I was just using a very extreme word, maybe i'm an arse but it pisses me off.

I really hope that Jonothan does choose Canada. Imagine the Gold Cup Midfield with Jono instead of Nash and one of Hutch, Julian or Bernier dropped into the holding/linking role. And hey Holland didn't qualify in 2002 so they don't always qualify.

His dad seems like a power/control freak. look at the big picture buddy... both of your sons are great successes. Playing for Canada has not hurt Julian's career in the least, and being named the Gold Cup MVP sure won't hurt. Jonathan will have a great career, and big clubs are already rumored to be interested.

If JDG2's dream is to play in the World cup, but also to play with his brother, then the way I see it he only has one option anyways :)

The DeGuzman brothers leading the way for Canada in 2010!

its less likely everyday. apparently his only desire to play for canada is to play with his brother. what if for some reason julian loses form and isnt called- will jonothan stop showing up? his heart wont be into it. to succeed for canada it takes a huge amount of passion and sacrifice. jonothan is just not thinking that way.

he's already gone. even if he choses us, he will be like radz in his younger days (when he was good), not committed, showing up only when its convenient to his precious club club career, not giving it his all, saving his best performances when he gets paid for it.

quote:Originally posted by Juby

Jono doesn't quite get it, the world cup is not about getting yourself to the highest level, it's about getting your country to the highest level, it's the ultimate in team not individual spirit. You are representing the fans even moreso then in club competition.

That is the dutch mentality though, so it makes sense that's the way he'd feel. The dutch always crap the bed at international tournaments because they're always fighting with each other, never playing as a team.

At least we'll know he'll never win anything in his international career.

That being said, I still really want him to play for Canada.;)

Soooo tired of this crap. Yes we know the CSA sucks and are incompetent. Everyone who's ever heard of them or dealt with them must know this by now, but this is representing your country. Representing the underdog. It's a cinderella story in the making. Two brothers getting the underdog team to the world cup despite all the BS they face within their own confederation, lack of support from their public, lack of funding, what have you. The Players doing it for themselves against all odds. That's the stuff of legends. I grew up always rooting for underdogs and personally would much rather turn out for Canada if in a similar situation regardless of what country I grew up in. Holland is a disappointing team of talented players who can never get it together when it counts. They're the Vancouver Canucks. Football is on the brink of becoming something here. Jono can be the man who finally brings this sport into the limelight and wakes up an entire nation. And who knows? With the right media attention and pressure, could even change the CSA.

Here is a text of part of the audio clip for those at work or with no speakers.

Bobby deGuzman: "No disrespect to Dale Mitchell, but you got a crappy program like that, I wouldn't encourage my son to play in that crap. And if my son is going to put in his 100% to realize his dream in participating in the world cup, and he's got to do it with hands tied behind his back, why?"

Somebody should ask Bobby if he thinks Canada has enough talented players to qualify for 2010. I think he's more rallying for changes to the Canadian program to benifit Julian based on his comments.

Who was Jonathan playing for in Ontario when he was 12? Was there some sort of development fee that should have been paid by Feyenoord? I'm willing to bet that this whole controversy was over $$ and not personal agenda's or vendettas.

Edit: Could you imagine if Jonathan chose Holland and they didn't qualify, but Canada did. [8D]

Guest Can. in UK

I haven't heard the audio, but from gwallace's transcript it doesn't seem like Bobby is saying anything that we don't generally rant about in this forum (i.e. CSA ineptness.)

Bobby is an opinionated guy and he wants what's best for his son. So?

I think Canada's chances of making the WC are pretty decent but I don't think you can say that they are better than Holland's.

I hope that the challenge Canada faces to qualify for the WC (politics aside) would lure him to play for us rather than scare him off. IMO, the "pay-off" of a Canadian qualification would be far greater than a Dutch one.

Guest Jeffery S.

Gee, after reading the comments I don't even want to listen to it, don't think I can handle it.`

I suspect that Julian thinks much the same as his father, and that the general opinion of the Canadian players, in private, is not that positive.

That said, Feyenoord looks to be stronger next year, with Giovanni Van Bronckhorst going back to his home club from Barça and Rob Makaay announced today.

quote:Originally posted by Can. in UK

I haven't heard the audio, but from gwallace's transcript it doesn't seem like Bobby is saying anything that we don't generally rant about in this forum (i.e. CSA ineptness.)

Bobby is an opinionated guy and he wants what's best for his son. So?

I think Canada's chances of making the WC are pretty decent but I don't think you can say that they are better than Holland's.

I hope that the challenge Canada faces to qualify for the WC (politics aside) would lure him to play for us rather than scare him off. IMO, the "pay-off" of a Canadian qualification would be far greater than a Dutch one.

That's what should be the focus of an elite athlete. Leading a at nation like Canada to footballing respectability and WC appearance(s) as opposed to playing a bit part on a potentially underachieving Dutch side. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

someone needs to get to holland with a canadian flag and also hang a banner at a feyenoord match that states "DE GUZMAN PLAY FOR CANADA!!!" I think the Dutch would feel a bit differently if they understood how badly we want him. They aren't like the English that way, as they feel culturally indebted to us, while the brits just like to pretend we are a subdivision of the UK, when it suits them of course. Someone based in Europe get to a match at put it out there! i am sure it would gain attention!!

Ah, Bobby's just rocking the boat and good for him for doing it.

The de Guzmans are getting a bit of attention right now and they should use that bit of media coverage to poke away at the sloth-beasts who're responsible for running soccer in this country they way they have been for a couple of generations already.

Why wouldn't Jon-o want to play for Canada? Here's why. And here's why, and there's this to. And Bobby isn't exactly saying anything that hasn't been barked out here 10,000 times every month for the last 10 years.

It's sort of one of those reaping-what-you-sow arguments.

And I hope The Guz has a break out year in La Liga this winter and Jon-o wins the Golden Boot in Holland and they both get some real main-stream media attention so the way football is run in this country gets put up on display for everyone to have a good laugh at.

Of course I also think the de Guzman lads are smart enough to know that there's more to being a good Canadian, a proud Canadian, than just paying your taxes and staying out of jail.

My first strategy is the followign: I think we need to get Steve Nash to go see Jono and give him a word or two about representing...no one is better than him at pulling on the red and white.

But more to the point, in my view, these are delay tactics - I don't think that this has been discussed. Van Basten may want to cap Jono (as he does a few others, including the Moroccan kid at PSV - another midfielder) but with Ruud coming back and what I view as general mediocre play by the Oranje, I'm sure there's plenty of reasons to avoid the Dutch team right now (unless of course he can change the team by stepping onto it) Frankly, they are mediocre right now, and I'd say they are beset with plenty of problems of their own. Different from Canada's problems mind you, but problems nonetheless. Has anyone seem them of late? I'm not sure Van Basten will even last until 2008, and you'd be really stretching it to call them the usual contenders - the peg that the media normally give them. Frankly, it behooves Jono to take things easy and see how things play out, both at home and in Holland.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

Is the younger DeGuzman THAT good that he's guaranteed a spot on the Dutch National team?

From what I know of the Dutch team, they really seem to like youngsters. They'll cap them, give them a few games and generally leave them by the wayside unless they turn out to be exceptional talents. I think at this point in his career (I'm not saying what could happen in a few years) he'd be a marginal talent for the Oranje.

Even if he was the best midfielder on his team, Feyenoord sucks. There are loads of better Dutch midfielders playing on better teams right now, most in their early twenties.

quote:Originally posted by Ruud

My first strategy is the followign: I think we need to get Steve Nash to go see Jono and give him a word or two about representing...no one is better than him at pulling on the red and white.

????? Without commenting on the legitimacy of Nash's dispute with the Canadian basketball association, he had turned down numerous callups to the national team.

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

Here is a text of part of the audio clip for those at work or with no speakers.

Bobby deGuzman: "No disrespect to Dale Mitchell, but you got a crappy program like that, I wouldn't encourage my son to play in that crap. And if my son is going to put in his 100% to realize his dream in participating in the world cup, and he's got to do it with hands tied behind his back, why?"

Somebody should ask Bobby if he thinks Canada has enough talented players to qualify for 2010. I think he's more rallying for changes to the Canadian program to benifit Julian based on his comments.

Let's hope that's the intent of his comments, because otherwise, considering that his other son is playing for Canada, those comments are pretty disrespectful. It's almost tough to believe that this guy is the father of the uber-patriotic Julian De Guzman with comments like that.

Archived