Latest from Ben Knight

masster

And Canada, scoring a major triumph with essentially no TFC talent on the pitch, proved they are developing the depth, patience and tactics to dominate games, even with significant faces out of the lineup.

Not sure I agree with this statement Ben. I'd be more inclined to suggest that TFC's impact on the National Team still a few years away. Or that one professional team will never have an impact. Even having Montreal and Vancouver playing at the same level, how many national team members can we honestly expect to come from three clubs, let alone one?

quote:Originally posted by RJB

Even having Montreal and Vancouver playing at the same level, how many national team members can we honestly expect to come from three clubs, let alone one?

Canadian USL teams the GC players have played on:

[8)]

Greg Sutton MTL

Adam Braz MTL

Marco Reda TOR

Andrew Hainault MTL

Paul Stalteri TOR

Kevin Harmse VAN

Ali Gerba MTL/TOR

Gabriel Gervais MTL

Atiba Hutchinson TOR

Dwayne De Rosario TOR

Patrice Bernier MTL

Martin Nash VAN/MTL

Antonio Ribeiro MTL

Chris Pozniak TOR

Pat Onstad MTL/TOR/VAN

----------------------

I was just thinking about that the other day. The Impact (and Toronto) should be commended on the number of players that played for them prior to going off to Europe (and now MLS). Not every kid can go away at 16 and play in Europe like some have, so this gives the players in their early-20s a chance to make an impact (pun intended) a bit later in their soccer careers.

Thank You Daniel.

My point wasn't about development, but in fact players who are current roster players for those clubs. I think it would be unhealthy to rely on just three clubs to support the National Side, and instead we need to continue to have players playing at top clubs in Europe, as well as other European clubs, in addition to those playing at home.

Archived