Matondo <--> McLaughlin

Daniel

Too few Canadians on the 'Caps for my liking. It makes one wonder though what the purpose of the club is. As a football fan, I care about the team and if we win. Last year we won it all, so...

But as a Canadian soccer fan, I want them to develop guys to the National Team. Last time I checked, we weren't even close. I don't think Bob Lilley cares whether they are American, Canadian, or Martian.

Let's think what Canadian's are of comparable skill to these palyers? And then look at that list, and ask yourself if they would consider playing full time for a club that doesn't even pay a living wage.

Asking people to name Canadian players good enough or better than the American players that Lilley has brought in is ridiculous. First off nobody, including those here who consider themselves Whitecaps insiders, know how good these new Americans are. Nobody even knows who they are- they are as nameless as the random celebrity guy (who the Whitecaps probably planned on signing until they realized he was a Canadian).

We also don't know how good the soccer playing Canadians in this country would be in this league because they aren't given a chance to show it. We'll never know if the Whbitecaps could win a title with more Canadians. My guess is they could have last year with more Canadians, it was Lilleys dull style that got them to the final, not great outstanding play from American players.

Also why is it that they can get supposedly good American players to play for a team that doesn't even pay a living wage but we are saying they couldn't skilled Canadians to do the same?

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

Nobody even knows who they are- they are as nameless as the random celebrity guy We also don't know how good the soccer playing Canadians in this country would be in this league because they aren't given a chance to show it.

Yeah, and Sita Taty Matondo was a household name when they picked him up last year.

Here's my advice to all the numb-nuts who keep making these idiotic comments about Americans on the Whitecaps...GO FIND A NEW TEAM to cheer for...like, say, Pegasus. Good club, a bunch of no-name Canadians, and free admission.

The new Americans (all three of them) are in town, at training camp, and available for tonight's preseason game against the VMSL All-Stars. There are also eight still-unsigned Canadians on tryout for the Caps, five of whom are on the roster for tonight's game, while two others (Kekec and Sajan) will be suiting up for the All-Stars. The only American still on tryout, Marty Johnston, is not available for the game.

quote:Originally posted by AlanDouglas

The new Americans (all three of them) are in town, at training camp, and available for tonight's preseason game against the VMSL All-Stars. There are also eight still-unsigned Canadians on tryout for the Caps, five of whom are on the roster for tonight's game, while two others (Kekec and Sajan) will be suiting up for the All-Stars. The only American still on tryout, Marty Johnston, is not available for the game.

Is he still looking for an apartment?

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

Yeah, and Sita Taty Matondo was a household name when they picked him up last year.

Here's my advice to all the numb-nuts who keep making these idiotic comments about Americans on the Whitecaps...GO FIND A NEW TEAM to cheer for...like, say, Pegasus. Good club, a bunch of no-name Canadians, and free admission.

I was aware of Matondo before the Whitecaps picked him up last year.

You take this so personally. Do you work for the team?

Here's some advice. Cut out the personal insults.

To add to what Krammerhead said, for many Canadian soccer fans it is important that Canadian soccer teams field Canadian players. You are implying that this is not a valid opinion by calling us numb-nuts. If you don't feel that way and don't mind watching a team with a large number of American players of mediocre skill level than you are entitled to your opinion and can go to as many games as you want. We are entitled to our opinion and indeed may find other teams to support. Krammerhead already has stopped attending games and the number of Impact games I attend will be in direct relationship to how many Canadians are playing (the Matondo move is a positive one for the Impact in my opinion). Losing hard core fans is not good business for any soccer team.

By the way, yes like every other USL player with the exception of Romario, Matondo is not a household name. He was pretty well known to most of the people on this board a long time before the Caps signed him.

That's always your response isn't it...you don't agree with Krammerhead, you must work for the club.

I truly resent the notion that the Whitecaps are somehow obligated to sign Canadians. I WOULD LOVE for the entire squad to be the National team west, and exclusively Canadian. I mean that from the bottom of my heart.

BUT, Toronto FC has recieved a government subsidy the CSA's blessing to become our #1 National Team developer, and that's fine. However, Toronto being in MLS gives the impression that both Montreal and Vancouver are "division 2" teams. That perception, could very easily affect an "average fans" (none of us here) view of the USL product as being "professional". The AVERAGE fan (not the people on this board) could care less about whether a player is a CIAU product, or some guy from Alabama, as long as the game is good, and the home team wins.

My point is simple...put the best possible product on the field and compete at the highest level first...establish that your club is on par with the best on the continent, and THEN attract the best Canadians you can.

As long as this forum exists, the Canadian v American debate won't go away. But the people who participate on this forum represent less than 10% of all the people who actually attend the games...and it's the other 90% that the Whitecaps should and will be concerned about.

I think we have to wear two hats when we look at this debate. With the club hat, I think we want talented players to help the club win and be fun to watch. We want good individuals who are good to the fans, and that shouldn't matter where they are from. With the Canada hat, we want Canadians on the club. I'm not sure it's fair to look at it with one view.

The fact is that this is an American league that we are bumper skiing with, and we are bound to acquire American talent easily because of it. And I think that Lilley has done alright with his American signings, considering we won the Championship last season, and Gjertsen was MVP. Also, guys like Testo, and Morris, and Donatelli seemed to be fine by me.

During last nights VSML-Caps game, the announcers mentioned the two Caps back-up keepers, Srdj being one of them. Does ayone know the second back-up keeper?

As for the this thread, McLaughlin scored his first yesterday. although in a meaningless situation.

Guest Jeffery S.

That's always your response isn't it...you don't agree with Krammerhead, you must work for the club.

I truly resent the notion that the Whitecaps are somehow obligated to sign Canadians. I WOULD LOVE for the entire squad to be the National team west, and exclusively Canadian. I mean that from the bottom of my heart.

BUT, Toronto FC has recieved a government subsidy the CSA's blessing to become our #1 National Team developer, and that's fine. However, Toronto being in MLS gives the impression that both Montreal and Vancouver are "division 2" teams. That perception, could very easily affect an "average fans" (none of us here) view of the USL product as being "professional". The AVERAGE fan (not the people on this board) could care less about whether a player is a CIAU product, or some guy from Alabama, as long as the game is good, and the home team wins.

My point is simple...put the best possible product on the field and compete at the highest level first...establish that your club is on par with the best on the continent, and THEN attract the best Canadians you can.

As long as this forum exists, the Canadian v American debate won't go away. But the people who participate on this forum represent less than 10% of all the people who actually attend the games...and it's the other 90% that the Whitecaps should and will be concerned about.

I disagree. I think the average fan does care. You must be an American sport fan, where it is clear it does not matter too much. But even then if you are Seahawks and you have a UW grad playing, the fans like that quite a bit. Same with Bobcats playing guys out of Carolina universities. IN any case, as long as there are drafts and no youth system players do not play in their hometowns in US sport, unless by luck or chance or as older free agents.

In soccer it is quite the opposite, and on an internatonal level that is how it is. Even with Bosman laws and all. Local players are especially adored the world over, and it is clear to me that the real, deep committment to the club comes from the guys who went through its youth system or are from the town. Just read an interview with Shearer today, he's in BCN, and he was talking about his return to Newcastle, how important it was for him. Recall working with some Norwegians from a culture network one year, and when they found out Santander was coming to town the ones from Tromso, even the ones who were not fans, wanted to go, since Rushfelt played for them then, and Rushfelt was a Tromso boy. That is the norm, not the exception, so I think you are simply wrong.

I can assure you that everywhere in the world fans want to win, but also want to see local boys, and the more there are the prouder the supporters will be. This is an almost universal fact, and the exceptions -Wenger's Gunners- are that, exceptions.

Actually thats only my response when I'm responding to someone who gets so angry with people who are simply offering opinions on a board that is set up to do so. A person who feels the need to call us "numbnuts" and calls our opinions "idiotic" just because we question what the Whitecaps are doing must have some close ties with the club. I can only surmise that one who gets so angry must be involved with the club in one way or the other. Otherwise why take what some of us are saying on this board personally that you have to respond with insults?

Guest Jeffery S.

I think he is an American in Calgary, or one of many Calgarians who aspires to be one, which is why he is so nervous if anyone suggests we'd rather not see SO many Yanks on the few pro clubs we have in Canada.

If it is not the case, C. Boomer, you have culturally disenfranchised yourself.

Archived