Sunderland winger to TFC

N-A

Yes but America is also commonly shortened to refer to either or both North and South America. Soccer itself has several examples such as Copa America and the Mexican club America. In Canada because we are already located in America, going to America necessarily means the USA but that is not the case in non-American countries. There is no mistake in the BBC'c usage here.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Yes but America is also commonly shortened to refer to either or both North and South America. Soccer itself has several examples such as Copa America and the Mexican club America. In Canada because we are already located in America, going to America necessarily means the USA but that is not the case in non-American countries. There is no mistake in the BBC'c usage here.

That is the way it is in Spain, all the Western Hemisphere is las Americas or just America. They use norteamericano quite often in Spanish too.

I don't think it is correct in England and think it is closer to being an error. Surely the BBC has a style book that would clearly conclude that this use is not right.

Ha ha. It's been switched. I win! In your face, Flanders!

=====

Sunderland winger Andy Welsh is set to become the latest British player to make the move to Major League Soccer.

Welsh, 23, is heading to Canada for a medical before signing a contract with Toronto, after the clubs agreed a deal to end his contract at Sunderland.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

=====

Sunderland winger Andy Welsh is set to become the latest British player to make the move to Major League Soccer.

Welsh, 23, is heading to Canada for a medical before signing a contract with Toronto, after the clubs agreed a deal to end his contract at Sunderland.

I have written to the BBC in the past concerning errors appearing online and have found they are very fast checking and rectifying. Even on little details, like a player's name (they get Spanish names wrong all the time). A few weeks ago I wrote to explain who owned the Barcelona Olympic Stadium and who thus was officially hosting the Andorra-England at the venue next week (28th), and they had their article corrected in about two hours (had said it was Espanyol, the club, while in fact it is a municipal facility). I was quite impressed.

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

Since we seem more interested in the grammar than Welsh I will add my comment. Just because they changed the sentence to correspond more with convention does not mean the original was an error. The statement of a true fact can not be an error, ie. Canada is in America so it is not erroneous to state he is coming to America for a medical even if that is in Canada. Since America often refers to USA in common usage it is indeed more clear to write Canada, however, the implication of LMS was that the original author thought that Toronto was located in the USA. I think it is more likely that the author didn't realize that many people (erroneously) construe America to refer to only the USA.

Signed your truly,

Flanders the American

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Since we seem more interested in the grammar than Welsh I will add my comment. Just because they changed the sentence to correspond more with convention does not mean the original was an error. The statement of a true fact can not be an error, ie. Canada is in America so it is not erroneous to state he is coming to America for a medical even if that is in Canada. Since America often refers to USA in common usage it is indeed more clear to write Canada, however, the implication of LMS was that the original author thought that Toronto was located in the USA. I think it is more likely that the author didn't realize that many people (erroneously) construe America to refer to only the USA.

Signed your truly,

Flanders the American

That is all very well, but the key is that the BBC has a style book, and quite a complex one at that. Editors usually know it well, and there are some in the organization who live and breathe it.

Meaning if the BBC style book says the term is valid for such and such a country, then it is, and it was right; but if the style book says that the term refers exclusively to the US, then the use was either incorrect or there was another factor in the apparent error.

Well I found it, very interesting indeed: http://www.bbctraining.com/pdfs/newsstyleguide.pdf

Usually the refer to Americans as those from the US, but occasionally American and North-American are fused, which may in fact allow for Canada to be considered "America". But I really don't think that is the intention of any use of "America", "American" or derivates in the BBC style guide.

A style book deals less with correct and incorrect grammar than with what the preffered usage is of the organization it is written for. Nor is the BBC style the definitive style book for the English language. That being said, I could not find a section where they clearly said what the preferred usage should be for terms like Canada and America. However, they also use America and Americanism many times within the style book itself sometimes in the context of the USA and sometimes in the context of North America such as the following:

We should thank North America for adding greatly

to our vocabulary. Some Americanisms are so

embedded in our language that their origin has long

been forgotten

If their own style book uses America to refer to Canada as well it can hardly be considered an error if an article does even if it would be stylistically clearer to say Canada.

Guest Jeffery S.

I'm into more style-guide discussion, but if it is Sunderland you really want to banter about.....

If it weren't for the nerds this thread would have died ten days ago.

Archived