The English are coming

brodycheese

Sorry guys, I'm actually english descent, but didn't mean to offend anyone. Still pretty pumped, hopefully in a couple of years we'll see even bigger teams come to Canada.

quote:Originally posted by brodycheese

Link

that'll be awesome, great exposure fer the Canadian boys

<mod>Cleaned up link - changed title slightly</mod>

quote:Originally posted by RJB

I may be all alone on this one, but I don't think we should refer to anyone using a derogatory term. And yes, I find Limey to be offensive.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but I am curious, are you English?

Since when is Limey a derogatory term?

Well yes Rangers, Liverpool etc are big teams, what I'm referring to is the fact that we'd have a Canadian Team (Toronto FC) with Canadians on it (hopefully more and more young prospects like Lombardo, etc) playing big competition, helping with exposure here, increasing kids interest in the sport, and just expanding the fan base. That's what I mean. As much as I like seeing the big teams play each other, I think it'd be much better for our sport to develop if we have our hometown team take them on.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Don't mean to hijack the thread but I am curious, are you English?

Since when is Limey a derogatory term?

From Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_words_for_British#Limey

"Limey is an old American and Canadian slang nickname for the British, originally referring to British sailors. The term is believed to derive from lime-juicer, referring to the Royal Navy and Merchant Navy practice of supplying lime juice to British sailors to prevent scurvy in the 19th century. The term is derogatory in the sense that the British would be allegedly more preoccupied with the savings of limes over lemons which were traditionally used to prevent scurvy. The term is thought to have originated in the Caribbean in the 1880s. A false etymology is that it is a derivative of "Gor-blimey" ("god blind me!").

The term Limey evolved into a verb "to lime" which means to hang out. The British sailors "Limeys" would hang out in the urban areas when off-duty and patronise the local prostitutes. This has been immortalized in the old calypso "Jean and Dinah" by the Mighty Sparrow in 1956."

Whether or not I'm English is irrelevant, because anyone can find it offensive, not just English people.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

From Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_words_for_British#Limey

"Limey is an old American and Canadian slang nickname for the British, originally referring to British sailors. The term is believed to derive from lime-juicer, referring to the Royal Navy and Merchant Navy practice of supplying lime juice to British sailors to prevent scurvy in the 19th century. The term is derogatory in the sense that the British would be allegedly more preoccupied with the savings of limes over lemons which were traditionally used to prevent scurvy. The term is thought to have originated in the Caribbean in the 1880s. A false etymology is that it is a derivative of "Gor-blimey" ("god blind me!").

The term Limey evolved into a verb "to lime" which means to hang out. The British sailors "Limeys" would hang out in the urban areas when off-duty and patronise the local prostitutes. This has been immortalized in the old calypso "Jean and Dinah" by the Mighty Sparrow in 1956."

Whether or not I'm English is irrelevant, because anyone can find it offensive, not just English people.

I think we can all agree that one needn't be English to patronise prostitutes -although it definitely helps if one likes to pay one's whores with postage stamps.

Archived