Another MNT home game in 2007?

Obinna

Why would it make any sense to bring MNT games to NFLD? Because its a shorter trip for our European based players? Because Canada will actually have real "home support" there? Becase Canada only extends East as far as Montreal and wouldnt want to try to advance the game at all there? Because playing in the NFLD's harsh weather elements would be too smart for us to actually utilize? Unfortunatly with the new stadium I feel the CSA has a permanent excuse to never have any games outside of Toronto. I realize on the one hand the stadium is agreat thing, but it just means the perpetual playing of away games to the same audience. And having a 20k capacity isnt really an excuse when MNT games can never attract that many people (ie the last match against Jamaica) except for something outrageously exceptional like a Brazil game.

Love the idea of playing a game in NFLD. The short trip for our europe based players, as well as a crowd that would be almost 100% pro Canada. Also, the worse the weather is, the better it would be for Canada. The first Canadian rugby WC qualifier in NFLD a little while back was a huge success (great atmosphere, and our biggest margin of victory ever against the states) Also, Canada last qualified for the wc after a win in NFLD. It likely won't happen because there isn't a great venue for it, and, as much as I hate to say it, the supporters of the visiting teams buy thousands of tickets and I can't see the CSA saying no to that revenue. Personally, I'd like to play our qualifiers somewhere up north. It would be great to play Mexico at -30 if there's a grass pitch somewhere inside the arctic circle.

quote:Originally posted by Soccerpro

Why would it make any sense to bring MNT games to NFLD? Because its a shorter trip for our European based players? Because Canada will actually have real "home support" there? Becase Canada only extends East as far as Montreal and wouldnt want to try to advance the game at all there? Because playing in the NFLD's harsh weather elements would be too smart for us to actually utilize? Unfortunatly with the new stadium I feel the CSA has a permanent excuse to never have any games outside of Toronto. I realize on the one hand the stadium is agreat thing, but it just means the perpetual playing of away games to the same audience. And having a 20k capacity isnt really an excuse when MNT games can never attract that many people (ie the last match against Jamaica) except for something outrageously exceptional like a Brazil game.

Agreed on all points. If all our matches are in Toronto, it will only serve to alienate the rest of Canada.

Besides, if it's a major match, Commonwealth will easily outdraw TO.

Archived