UCSB/UCLA Possible Re-broadcast

Gaucho

Last night's UCLA at UCSB match was on Fox Soccer Channel and was re-aired later in the evening. Rosenlund played very well in the match and Andrew Proctor saw some playing time as well. I wish I had mentioned the match beforehand, but it might be broadcast again... check your listings.

UCLA won 3-1.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

So you're suggesting he abandon the opportunity to graduate with a degree from UCLA and go take a chance on a professional soccer career somewhere?

First, he's at UCSB.

Second, The Beaver is talking on a soccer career point of view, that's why he used the "if he is going to have the chance of playing a role....".

Rob Friend went to UCSB which hasn't prevented him from enjoying initial success on the National Team. Since appearing in the national championship match in 2004, UCSB is really concentrating on soccer. Their field was completely resurfaced a few years ago and is a large, international-sized pitch that attracts professional teams to play in exhibitions. The coach (Tim Vom Steeg) was the 2004 NCAA Coach of the Year.

UCSB also plays a demanding schedule. The last time I looked at the strength of schedule, I think we ranked about 9th (out of about 200).

Also, UCSB recently hired a new head for Strength and Conditioning who has an extensive background in soccer (Bob Alejo). He even wrote a book called "Complete Conditioning for Soccer from Human Kinetics" which was co-authored by Siegfried Schmid (current Columbus Crew coach and prior U-20 US coach and LA Galaxy coach).

I'm not thrilled with his ties to Jason Giambi, but he has an overall great resume:

With more than 20 years of experience in college and professional sports, Robert Alejo is currently the strength and conditioning coach for Jason Giambi of the New York Yankees. He had previously served as the strength and conditioning coach for the Oakland Athletics (1993-2001), the UCLA Bruins (1984-1993), and the head strength and conditioning coach for the 1994 World Cup soccer team.

The author of the Oakland Athletics Winter Conditioning Manual, Alejo has also written 6 books and nearly 20 articles for major sports publications. Alejo graduated from California State University with a degree in physical education and biological sciences. Bob continues to lecture and publish on the topics of training program design and implementation for both men and women of all ages in every sport.

quote:Originally posted by Gaucho

..... Also, UCSB recently hired a new head for Strength and Conditioning who has an extensive background in soccer (Bob Alejo). He even wrote a book called "Complete Conditioning for Soccer from Human Kinetics" which was co-authored by Siegfried Schmid (current Columbus Crew coach and prior U-20 US coach and LA Galaxy coach).

That's pretty funny that Siggy Schmid would be co-author as he obviously does not lead by example in 'conditioning'.

9fQNloXf.jpg

I watched the first 65 minutes or so of the game last night. For someone that is suppossed to be the team's playmaker, I thought that Rosenlund wasn't involved in the game enough. Not enough balls were played through him.

He has nice ball skills when he is in possession and makes a nice pass, however I didn't see the midfield general or playmaker that I expected. He just wasn't noticable enough.

Archived