Canadians at UCSB Update

Gaucho

Junior Tyler Rosenlund (on the Hermann Trophy Watch List last season) has yet to play this season due to injury.

Junior and forward Andrew Proctor netted his first goal of the season last week in a 1-0 win over LMU.

http://ucsbgauchos.cstv.com/sports/m-soccer/recaps/091606aaa.html

Junior Myles Davis appears to have left the program but hasn't resurfaced at a new school yet.

Go Gauchos!!!

Dismal performance analyst? I hope you were watching the same U20 championships I was. I thought he was one of the better ones, although no one really stood out with their performances. Who was better Ryan Gyaki? Jamie Peters? He worked his butt off in each game even if he didn't get a lot of touches but still put himself on the line for the team.

quote:Originally posted by bcsoccer101

Dismal performance analyst? I thought he was one of the better ones, although no one really stood out with their performances. Who was better Ryan Gyaki? Jamie Peters? He worked his butt off in each game even if he didn't get a lot of touches but still put himself on the line for the team.

A lot of the posters on this board, including me, were disappointed in his play, as well as the performance of most of the team. In qualifying games (against lesser opponents)he made some nice passes, but they weren't so evident in Holland. He wasn't beating opposing midfielders, and wasn't creating much offence for the team.

You say he worked his butt off each game - well everyone on the Canadian team did that and everyone on the opposing teams did that. Working your butt off is great for kids soccer, but I also expected a display of soccer skills, especially from someone who had as much billing and PR as Rosenlund received.

I did not see Canada's matches last summer, but from what I read on this board at the time, Rosenlund did seem to stand out some among his collegiate counterparts and was compared to those who played professionally.

Also, Rosenlund did not come in with much fanfare. Yes, he had just played on an NCAA team that lost the national championship in PK's, but he hadn't been put on the Hermann Trophy watchlist yet (and his selection was quite generous, IMO).

Anyway, go Rob Friend!

Go Canada!

Go Gauchos!!!

quote:Originally posted by bcsoccer101

Dismal performance analyst? I hope you were watching the same U20 championships I was. I thought he was one of the better ones,

I beg to differ.. I did watch all the games in that WYC. I too thought that he looked in over his head skillwise. He made that superb pass to Gyaki that led to a goal in the qualifying match so I expected a lot in holland.

I agree. I thought he and schiavoni did well in the qualifying. In the WYC where I saw two of the matches live, I thought he looked lost and lost the ball alot. Also, he was never really wanting the ball and seemed to be scared to get it. Although I have to say that against Columbia we played a side that had very little ball skills, and no width which was Mitchell's fault. Instead of playing Peters and De Jong on the wings, he played Gyaki and O'Neil there. Gyaki has no pace and O'Neil cannot hold onto the ball. We essentially just bunkered down and let Columbia come at us. It was terrible to watch and on that match alone Mitchell should not be given the Men's National Team head coach position. Its fine to defend but you at least need to be able to scare the other side on the counter attack. Our side offered nothing so the Columbians were free to throw everyone forward.

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

I agree. I thought he and schiavoni did well in the qualifying. In the WYC where I saw two of the matches live, I thought he looked lost and lost the ball alot. Also, he was never really wanting the ball and seemed to be scared to get it. Although I have to say that against Columbia we played a side that had very little ball skills, and no width which was Mitchell's fault. Instead of playing Peters and De Jong on the wings, he played Gyaki and O'Neil there. Gyaki has no pace and O'Neil cannot hold onto the ball. We essentially just bunkered down and let Columbia come at us. It was terrible to watch and on that match alone Mitchell should not be given the Men's National Team head coach position. Its fine to defend but you at least need to be able to scare the other side on the counter attack. Our side offered nothing so the Columbians were free to throw everyone forward.

The game stats of the match are unbelievable. I checked them again last night, and it was astounding. They showed that the columbians had a 75% versus 25% edge in ball advantage over Canada. According to those same stats we had the ball for only 14 minutes throughout the whole game and had only three shots of which only one was on goal.

Archived