Are you listening Bridge

The Ref

When top coaches asked by Fifa about playing styles in Russia 2006

What was the predominant style of play at the tournament?

Theune-Meyer: "The teams who made it through to the semis were the ones with the more mature players. They knew how to close down space, keep it tight at the back and then break at the right moment. The best teams played very fast, aggressive football, winning the ball then using short passes</u> to turn defence into attack." (underline mine)

Is our "long ball style" better? Maybe it was at one time, but not any longer. Clearly we were left bitting the dust. Now we need to catch up if we want to even make it to Chile 2008.

But I don't even think Bridge is fully to blame here. Not that I'm defending him, but I am under the strong impression that the Woman's program has been set by Pellerud and Bridge is following Pellerud's directives. Perhaps I'm wrong, but there seems to be plenty of evidence to suggest that this is a "top down" matter.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

But I don't even think Bridge is fully to blame here. Not that I'm defending him, but I am under the strong impression that the Woman's program has been set by Pellerud and Bridge is following Pellerud's directives. Perhaps I'm wrong, but there seems to be plenty of evidence to suggest that this is a "top down" matter.

I think that the "following Pellerud's directives" part was the general idea to be implemented from the seniors to the very young. However, I am not so sure such directives are followed like a carbon copy. At least the U20 and Seniors don't play exactly the same if one looks at them. I think that 6 years to learn a system is long enough, or not?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well put The REf. Good looking football gets results and hoof it and hope is just plain ugly. Our women were physically bigger and stronger than other teams, but are they still? Will muscling in on long balls continue to pay off? I think back to our 1-0 win over China in the WWC and after seeing the touch and short passing game the Chinese women played I really thought we dodged a bullet with Hooper's header.

quote:Originally posted by terpfan68

The last two results against China were both draws of 1-1 and 0-0. Not bad for Canada against a higher ranked team. Maybe China is rethinking their "style" of play.

You are right. China is getting better yet. Canada on the other hand only managed to get draws. But with a new coach, there may be hope in 2007.

What do you mean, China is getting better? They are already better than Canada -- check out their FIFA ranking. My point is that Canada is playing them even and it is Canada that has shown improvement. Forget about a new coach for 2007. Not before the World Cup. We have to dance with the one who brought us.

quote:Originally posted by terpfan68

What do you mean, China is getting better? They are already better than Canada -- check out their FIFA ranking. My point is that Canada is playing them even and it is Canada that has shown improvement. Forget about a new coach for 2007. Not before the World Cup. We have to dance with the one who brought us.

In my opinion we don't have to dance to anything. Regardless of World Cup or not, I truly believe that the coach and manager will be gone sometime in December. The program will be reorganized in new directions.

Archived