Canada Remembers John McMahon

loyola

Canadian Soccer Association

Friday, September 01, 2006

John McMahon, manager of Canada’s national soccer teams from 1971 to 1981 has died in Markham, Ontario, aged 86.

Prior to McMahon’s appointment to manage the Pan American Games team in Colombia in 1971 Canada did not field a national team, at any level, on a regular basis as it does today, but under his leadership all that began to change. First of all with the Pan Am Games, and then Olympic qualifying in the same year. In 1972 the full national team played its first international in four years as the team competed in the qualifying rounds of the 1974 World Cup. This was followed in 1973 by Canada’s first involvement in international youth soccer at the CONCACAF Youth Tournament in Mexico.

Under McMahon’s guidance and leadership, and with the co-operation of Eric King, the Executive Secretary of the Canadian Soccer Association, the pace of Canada’s international involvement picked up and for the first time the national team began to play full internationals against European competition. First of all against Poland, then the current Olympic champions, in Toronto in 1973, followed by a European tour, then a second European tour in 1974. Also in 1974 Canada played host to the CONCACAF Youth Tournament for the first time.

1976 brought qualifying for the 1978 World Cup in Argentina and this time Canada reached the second round of CONCACAF qualifying for the first time in our history. In a tournament played in Mexico in 1977, Canada narrowly missed qualifying for the 1978 finals losing the deciding game to Mexico in Monterrey. The upward trend continued with World Cup qualifying in 1980 with Canada winning through to the second round again. This time the final tournament was held in Honduras and but for two disappointing ties against Mexico and Cuba, Canada would have played in Spain in 1982.

At the youth level Canada finished second in the 1978 CONCACAF Youth Tournament in Honduras and qualified for the finals of the FIFA World Youth Championship for the first time. In that competition, played in Japan, Canada surprised the world by beating Portugal in the first game.

Throughout the years from 1971 to 1981 McMahon, along with national team coaches Frank Pike, Eckhard Krautzun, Bill McAllister and Barry Clarke among others, built a pool of players with international experience, a process essential for competing in international competition. The building process that took place in those years was one of the factors in Canada qualifying for the World Cup finals in 1986. By that time John had retired from the national scene, but his contribution to the end result was vital.

McMahon’s knowledge of the game, both on and off the field, and his leadership put Canada on the international soccer map for the first time. He fought long and hard in CONCACAF meetings for a better deal for Canada, in scheduling in particular, so that Canada was not at a disadvantage due to international soccer politics. In doing so he gained international respect for himself and his country.

Born in Glasgow, Scotland on April 9, 1922 and John McMahon was brought to Canada by his parents when he was one year old and lived in Watrous, Saskatchewan, until he was nine, then he and his family returned to Scotland as a result of the Great Depression. John returned to Canada in the 1950’s and became a referee and then devoted his time to youth soccer, before taking over the national team.

Courtesy: Colin Jose

That is sad, sad news. Just a few days ago I was thinking about him and wondered how he was doing.

I met him year ago when I bought a pair of boots up at his Alspo store on Hwy 7.

He was a member of the Blizzard front office during their NASL days and was a regular and visible fixture at their games.

I'd almost forgotten that he once did colour commentary for one of our Rogers Cable broadcasts of the National Soccer League era Blizzard in a match at Varsity.

I liked him. He was a nice guy.

db

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Canadian Soccer Association

Friday, September 01, 2006

John McMahon, manager of Canada’s national soccer teams from 1971 to 1981 has died in Markham, Ontario, aged 86.

Prior to McMahon’s appointment to manage the Pan American Games team in Colombia in 1971 Canada did not field a national team, at any level, on a regular basis as it does today, but under his leadership all that began to change. First of all with the Pan Am Games, and then Olympic qualifying in the same year. In 1972 the full national team played its first international in four years as the team competed in the qualifying rounds of the 1974 World Cup. This was followed in 1973 by Canada’s first involvement in international youth soccer at the CONCACAF Youth Tournament in Mexico.

Under McMahon’s guidance and leadership, and with the co-operation of Eric King, the Executive Secretary of the Canadian Soccer Association, the pace of Canada’s international involvement picked up and for the first time the national team began to play full internationals against European competition. First of all against Poland, then the current Olympic champions, in Toronto in 1973, followed by a European tour, then a second European tour in 1974. Also in 1974 Canada played host to the CONCACAF Youth Tournament for the first time.

1976 brought qualifying for the 1978 World Cup in Argentina and this time Canada reached the second round of CONCACAF qualifying for the first time in our history. In a tournament played in Mexico in 1977, Canada narrowly missed qualifying for the 1978 finals losing the deciding game to Mexico in Monterrey. The upward trend continued with World Cup qualifying in 1980 with Canada winning through to the second round again. This time the final tournament was held in Honduras and but for two disappointing ties against Mexico and Cuba, Canada would have played in Spain in 1982.

At the youth level Canada finished second in the 1978 CONCACAF Youth Tournament in Honduras and qualified for the finals of the FIFA World Youth Championship for the first time. In that competition, played in Japan, Canada surprised the world by beating Portugal in the first game.

Throughout the years from 1971 to 1981 McMahon, along with national team coaches Frank Pike, Eckhard Krautzun, Bill McAllister and Barry Clarke among others, built a pool of players with international experience, a process essential for competing in international competition. The building process that took place in those years was one of the factors in Canada qualifying for the World Cup finals in 1986. By that time John had retired from the national scene, but his contribution to the end result was vital.

McMahon’s knowledge of the game, both on and off the field, and his leadership put Canada on the international soccer map for the first time. He fought long and hard in CONCACAF meetings for a better deal for Canada, in scheduling in particular, so that Canada was not at a disadvantage due to international soccer politics. In doing so he gained international respect for himself and his country.

Born in Glasgow, Scotland on April 9, 1922 and John McMahon was brought to Canada by his parents when he was one year old and lived in Watrous, Saskatchewan, until he was nine, then he and his family returned to Scotland as a result of the Great Depression. John returned to Canada in the 1950’s and became a referee and then devoted his time to youth soccer, before taking over the national team.

Courtesy: Colin Jose

John was also elected into Canada's Soccer Hall Of Fame. I remember the occasion very well. He was in a wheel chair, but still had that feisty look in his eye. John was a gem and his accomplishments are legendary, considering all the obstacles he had to face.

Hello,

My name is Tim Morrison, I am John McMahon's grandson.

It is very nice to see that after almost 20 years of retirement that his accomplishments in Canadian Soccer have not been forgotten. Your kind words and comments go along way in helping deal with this loss. Not only was John instrumental in the National Program he was a pioneer of youth soccer in Canada and Canada's true "Soccer Dad". I was very proud to call John my Papa. He loved the game and all it involved. It was the highlight of his career when he was inducted into the Canadian Soccer Hall of Fame and Museum in 2001. The award sits on my mantle now as a constant reminder of what a true professional and gentleman my grandfather was. As my Uncle stated at John's funeral Wednesday...Every time you drive by a soccer pitch and see young children playing, it is John Mcmahon you have to thank.

Once again, Thank You for the kind comments.

Tim Morrison

quote:Originally posted by timmy22

Hello,

It is very nice to see that after almost 20 years of retirement that his accomplishments in Canadian Soccer have not been forgotten. Your kind words and comments go along way in helping deal with this loss. Not only was John instrumental in the National Program he was a pioneer of youth soccer in Canada and Canada's true "Soccer Dad". I was very proud to call John my Papa. He loved the game and all it involved. It was the highlight of his career when he was inducted into the Canadian Soccer Hall of Fame and Museum in 2001. The award sits on my mantle now as a constant reminder of what a true professional and gentleman my grandfather was. As my Uncle stated at John's funeral Wednesday...Every time you drive by a soccer pitch and see young children playing, it is John Mcmahon you have to thank.

Tim Morrison

Dear Tim,

It was awfully nice of you to post your message. As has been said, he made a huge contribution to Canadian soccer and to top it off, he was a really nice man.

My condolences on your loss.

David Bailey

Hello,

Tim Morrison

Very well said.

Will be sure to toast his good name this afternoon before kick off.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Tim Morrison

Eternal rest grant onto him o Lord, and let your perpetual Light shine upon him.

May his Soul, and the Souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God rest in Peace.

Archived