Caps Against the World.....

Caps against the world

By BOB MACKIN -- 24 Hours Vancouver

The flags of China, India, Wales and Canada will fly at Swangard Stadium this week for the Vancouver Whitecaps first Nations Cup tournament.

Whitecaps meet India's national team tomorrow night (7 p.m.). China's under-20 team plays Cardiff City FC of Wales Friday night (7 p.m.).

Winners battle in Saturday night's final (7 p.m.). Losers play for third place late Saturday afternoon (4 p.m.). All matches are live on Shaw TV.

It's the start of a new tradition for the Whitecaps who hope to take advantage of a lull in the USL First Division schedule by giving players a new challenge and fans some bonus soccer.

"It's going to be good to get some of these guys logging tons of minutes a break, some of these guys off injury, maybe get them some game minutes, and some of these young guys a chance to prove themselves," said Whitecaps' captain Jeff Clarke. "So it's a win-win for everybody."

India's head coach is Bob Houghton, a globetrotting British expat whose career included a three-year stop helming the Toronto Blizzard in 1982 to 1984.

Blizzard were runners-up in 1983's Soccer Bowl championship at B.C. Place Stadium. Houghton is trying to elevate the game on the subcontinent where cricket dominates and soccer has only a national semi-professional league.

India, 2005's South Asian Football Federation cup-winners, was ranked 117th in FIFA's latest poll. Houghton wants to scour the planet for players of Indian origin who haven't committed to other countries.

Houghton's knowledge of the Chinese game will be useful should India meet China's under-20s on Saturday. He coached China's national team to its first World Cup berth in 2002.

China's juniors, coached by 1988 Asian footballer of the year Jia Xiuquan, are hoping to qualify this fall for next summer's FIFA Under-20 World Cup in Canada. The players will form the core of the under-23 team that will host the 2008 Beijing Summer Olympics soccer tournament.

Cardiff City is expected to come with 300 noisy fans. The 107-year-old Bluebirds, who stopped en route for matches in Seattle and Nanaimo, play in the English Championship League, the old second division.

Perhaps club executives will have some words of advice for Whitecaps' president John Rocha because the 22-time Welsh champion and one-time F.A. Cup winner is also in the process of building a new stadium.

Whitecaps' goalkeeper Tony Caig will be prepared to meet Cardiff. Caig is a former Newcastle United Magpie, just like Cardiff's marquee off-season signing, Michael Chopra. The 22-year-old striker replaces Cameron Jerome, who was signed by Birmingham City.

Expect to see Josh Wicks spell off Caig, though Lilley said he might insert third-string netminder Serge Djekanovic into the lineup. Jamaican forward Gary Brooks, who joined the Whitecaps late last week, will see some action.

"What we don't want to do is not get something out of those games," Lilley said. "We'd like to do well in our own tournament and get better."

The Nations Cup happens the same weekend as Richmond's long-running Nations Cup community soccer jamboree and the Vancouver CultureFest at the Pacific National Exhibition grounds.

quote:Originally posted by Regs

Caps didn't exactly endear themselves with the local adult soccer community by naming this thing the Nations Cup. A little on the shady side of things if you ask me.

So do you expect the local adult soccer community to boycott the event as a consequence?

INDIA SQUAD SET TO BATTLE WHITECAPS

The Indian National Team - by Arunava Chaudhuri (IndianFootball.com)

July 18, 2006 - Whitecaps FC

Vancouver, BC - For new national coach Bob Houghton it will be his first competitive match as India coach, when his team takes on the Vancouver Whitecaps FC in the inaugural match of the Whitecaps Nations Cup on July 19.

The Indian senior squad will be missing their captain Baichung Bhutia who had opted out of the trip to Canada. Missing amongst others are defender Deepak Kumar Mondal, midfielder Climax Lawrence and striker Syed Rahim Nabi all out due to injuries. But for some youngsters it is a chance to grab a place in the squad for the upcoming remaining 2007 Asia Cup qualifiers.

India have two safe pair of hands in goalkeepers Sandip Nandy and Subhashish Roy Chowdhury, who are also No. 1 and 2 at their club, Mahindra United - the Indian league champions. On defence, seasoned Mahesh Gawli is set to play at the centre of defence with club mate Manju Nanjangud Shivananju likely to play besides him. Irungbam Surkumar Singh or Sameer Naik could play as right back, while Habibur Rehman Mondal and Naduparambil Pappachan Pradeep could fill in as left backs. The midfield will be marshalled by captain Shanmugam Venkatesh with Steven Dias a possible option on the right flank, Renedy Singh a possibility on the left and Mehraj Din Wadoo could play in the defensive midfield position.

Upfront Bhutia will surely be missed and an inexperienced attack could be a drawback for India. Only Sunil Chetri has played for the India Seniors in the past and he is likely to be paired with either Freddy Mascarenhas or teenager Sushil Kumar Singh. Certainly, an interesting test for this youthful Indian team.

India also hopes to have local Indian community support in Vancouver similar to support the team got in the greater Birmingham area, England on trips there a few years ago.

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS

INDIA SQUAD:

Goalkeepers: Sandip Nandy, Subhashish Roy Chowdhury (both Mahindra United).

Defenders: Mahesh Gawli, Irungbam Surkumar Singh, Manju Nanjangud Shivananju (all Mahindra United), Narinder Singh (JCT Mills), Anupam Sarkar, Habibur Rehman Mondal (both East Bengal Club), Samir Naik (Dempo SC), Naduparambil Pappachan Pradeep (State Bank of Travancore).

Midfielders: Shanmugam Venkatesh (Captain), Steven Dias (both Mahindra United), Renedy Singh (JCT Mills), Mehraj Din Wadoo, Manjit Singh (both Mohun Bagan AC), Bibiano Fernandes (Sporting Clube de Goa), Micky Fernandes (Salgaocar SC).

Forwards: Sushil Kumar Singh (Mohun Bagan AC), Sunil Chetri (JCT Mills), Freddy Mascarenhas (Churchill Brothers SC).

Chief Coach: Bob Houghton (England); Assistent Coach: Maurico Afonso (Goa); Goalkeeper Coach: Marcus Pacheco (Goa); Team Doctor: Dr. Manab Bhattacharya (West Bengal); Physical Trainer: Pradeep Datta (West Bengal);

Manager: PK Choudhury (West Bengal).

Caps didn't exactly endear themselves with the local adult soccer community by naming this thing the Nations Cup. A little on the shady side of things if you ask me.

Why is that Regs? Is their a conflict re. the name?

thx

db

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

Why is that Regs? Is their a conflict re. the name?

thx

db

Not trying to be an idiot, but I was wondering the same thing ?

Regs, do you post on the Soca-Warrior forum ?

This tournament was made for a Canadian B-Team. Next year we have to have a Canadian team participate, and I can't think of anything better than a B-team.

BLUEBIRDS DOWN SHORTHANDED VICTORIA UNITED 4-1

July 15, 2006

Playing a man down for two-thirds of the match Victoria United were worn down and beaten 1-4 by touring Cardiff City of the English Championship in Nanaimo tonight.

Captain Will Moore was sent off in only the 20th minute of this friendly at the picturesque Serauxman Park on a call that was generally viewed as harsh. Even Cardiff Manager (Coach) Dave Jones lobbied the officials to rescind the call to no avail and so United were to face the professionals short-handed for the bulk of the match.

Undeterred the lads did themselves proud allowing only a single goal from Cardiff's Kevin Cooper in the first half just before the break when keeper Reagyn Hall was caught going the wrong way.

Hard work and determination earned United a goal to draw level early in the second half when a decisive header by Kellen Holden from a monster throw-in by Marc Cristante found the back of the net.

Despite some spectacular saves by second-half keeper Conor Quinn the Bluebirds superiority was never seriously in doubt and a tired United would concede three more on the night from Michael Chopra, Steve Thompson and a penalty by Darren Purse after Chopra was brought down in the box.

The lads were roundly congratulated by the appreciative audience. They also received some specific congratulations from the Bluebirds themselves capping a wonderful evening of Soccer on the island.

Despite the result the game was very much a highlight in our recent history, and thanks certainly go to lead organizer Kevin Doran of the Nanaimo District Soccer Association for a most successful event, and special thanks to the Vancouver Whitecaps organization, whose support made the event possible.

In Vancouver the 27th annual NATIONS CUP runs this weekend. Whitecaps approached the tourney organizers last year about doing something together. As I understand it, there were meetings and such until communication stopped. Apparently the Caps had said that they WOULD NOT use the Nations Cup moniker. And when they went ahead and did so anyways, they said it was too late to change because all the media releases/marketing had been done.

I just think that's kind of shady.

It tends to cause confusion naming the thing the exact same as a well-established tournament that will feature Ally McCoist playing for Scotland over 38s this weekend :)

WF,

I've never heard of the soca-warrior forum? Is it any good?

Cheers,

~Regs.

PS. John Catliff and Garrett Kusch are the striker pair for Canada over-30s - should be fun! :)

I would like to hear the other side of the story first hand before jumping to any conclusions about shady behaviour. I often find when I check out rumours at source that the rumours are flat out wrong.

To give them their due they are calling it the 'Whitecaps Nations Cup', can't see there could be any confusion with the well established amateur event in Richmond.

That's fine. However, I'm surprised that you think I deal with rumours. My connections with the adult soccer community here are not of the weak variety.

I've just registered REGSBCSoccerWeb.com - hope you don't mind.

:)

That's fine. However, I'm surprised that you think I deal with rumours. My connections with the adult soccer community here are not of the weak variety.

I've just registered REGSBCSoccerWeb.com - hope you don't mind.

:)

Would it make any difference if I did mind?

Ticket prices are up quite a bit compared to previous Whitecaps ventures. $28 for tonight and $28 for Friday's game and $38 for Sunday's double header.

The Caps are doing better at the gate this year, so they estimate they can charge more and not lose many fans, and end up with more total revenue than if they charged less per ticket.

Archived