Jazic Finds Employment

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Sports/512746.html

Bedford’s Jazic finds home in MLS

By GORDIE SUTHERLAND Sports Reporter

Soccer player Ante Jazic is back in the game.

Jazic, who hasn’t played a match in almost six months, has found another pro home after agreeing to a contract with the Los Angeles Galaxy of Major League Soccer.

The 30-year-old from Bedford expects to sign a two-year deal with the Galaxy.

He said he’ll leave for Los Angeles either today or Wednesday.

In going to the Galaxy, Jazic rejoins coach Frank Yallop, who recently left his post with the Canadian national men’s team to take the reins in Los Angeles.

With Yallop at the helm, Jazic saw regular duty with Canada at left back.

"I have to start playing and this is a perfect opportunity for me to get into the MLS and with a coach who knows me well," Jazic said Monday.

Jazic last saw action in January when he competed for Canada in friendlies against the United States and Austria. He hasn’t been in a club atmosphere since dressing for Russia’s FC Kuban in November.

The MLS will mark a new experience for Jazic, who has made his living overseas since 1996.

He considered opportunities in Croatia and Austria, but decided it was better to stay in North America.

"In my heart, I think this is the right decision because I’m 30 years old and would like to play another three or four years," said Jazic, who played with Rapid Vienna of the Austrian League before going to Russia.

"When I come back to Nova Scotia, I’ve already started the groundwork for a soccer school or an academy of some sort. Playing in the MLS gives me more time off — three or four months — which is easier on my body. There are a lot of positives."

The Galaxy, which won the MLS and U.S. Open Cups in 2005, has struggled to a 2-10-3 start this year. Earlier this month, the team brought in Yallop, who guided the San Jose Earthquakes to MLS Cup titles in 2001 and 2003 before returning to Canada.

"They got off to a slow start, but they have a lot of good players," Jazic said of Los Angeles. "Right now, it didn’t help that they had three players at the World Cup. They missed six games.

"Frank knows what it takes to win in the MLS and I am sure he’s going to bring in players or make trades that will make the team better. Obviously nothing happens overnight. But he said the team is young and exciting.

"I’m looking forward to it because the Galaxy is one of the premier clubs in the MLS and just the chance to live in Los Angeles and be a part of that club to start off is wonderful also."

Los Angeles plays its next game on July 1 in Kansas City against the Wizard before returning home to face the New York Red Bulls on July 4.

Jazic said he’s healthy and fit, but concedes it will take time before he’s match sharp again.

He doesn’t know when he’ll make his debut.

"I haven’t really spoken to Frank about that. He just wants me to get down there as quickly as possible when I sign my contract and then we’ll see. I imagine it will be fairly soon."

Archived