2007 U-20 World Cup's Organization

Reza

Ok, I haven't been doing much organizing since the Honduras match back in 2004, but I just wanted to put this up now, since my experience with getting groups together is that they take a lot of time and organizations.

Just wanted to see what you guys think? What are the more recent experiences like since '04? What should be done to be ready for these games, as it is a tournament and chances are Canada will be playing 4-5 games and who knows maybe the whole 7 games in the tournament if things really click.

In the old days when I was more involved, organizing this stuff was a pain in the ass, with early purchases and a fair amount of risks. I just had a chance to catch a World Cup game in frankfurt and having seen that, it's important for Canada to capitalize on this tournmanet in every way including fanwise.

Any thoughts on how this could be handled better?

We could start with an E mail to the CSA stating that we would like a Voyageurs section for all of Canadas games.

We should come up with a number of seats for that section.

Perhaps we could take a vote for where we'd like to be located in the stadium.

Voyageurs from different cities to spread the word of our section with printed flyers handed out at local soccer games and posted in soccer shops,cafes where soccer fans gather.

Voyageurs from all over Canada to donate money to offset expenses.

Anyone with graphic arts skills to come up with flyer concept.

Teams formed in major metropolitan areas to work together on above items.

I'm sure the CSA would be willing to talk about a Voyageurs section for the Canadian games being played in Edmonton, as they must have serius doubt about even the Canadian team selling out Commonwealth. The first game, however, will be in Toronto. I'm not sure if the CSA will be as helpful as that is almost a guaranteed sellout.

In that case, I would suggest that the Toronto guys who have put down their $50 for Toronto FC seasons tickets take the lead in organizing as they will be offered tickets before the general public, and can therefore arrange in advance for all of them to buy tickets for themselves and others in the same section before they are sold to the public.

I think it is vital that the Voyageurs make sure that our section is part of a greater Canadian section. Not sure what the CSA and ticketmaster plan to do, but we need a Canadian section and the Voyageurs need to be IN that section leading the song and chant and cheer.

We need a team in Toronto leading the way, with one or two Voyageurs as team captains, and we need a team in Edmonton leading the way. If we play elsewhere, then we will need a team there too. Reza, perhaps you will lead the Edmonton team? Or maybe you and another Voyageur could do that?

First, I think we need to contact the CSA--in a polite letter--asking them to make sure that ticketmaster provides a large section for ALL Canadian fans, and then we should try to get a section within that larger section, preferably near the bottom since it is easier to lead a crowd in song from the bottom.

Second, as soon as we know that we've a section, we need to do our damnedest to get as many Voyageurs and their friends and families out to the games. KAS has made a good suggestion about the Toronto FC ticketholders getting organized asap. Who will lead the charge? We need to have at least 100 Voyageurs/Voyageur affiliates at each Canadian game. If we are playing in Edmonton, I'll be there with as many people as I can. If in Vancouver, the same.

Third--It might be worthwhile to see what the CSA plans to do in terms of marketing. If they plan to promote the game through local associations, then they need to be encouraged to hold these seats in a single Canadian section.

In Toronto, we're using the upcoming U20 friendly as sort of a dry run for next year, although the steep prices for this particular match seem to be turning a lot of people off (not so much among the Voyageurs and U-Sector, but moreso among friends and family members).

I'm not sure who will be organizing the Canadian Supporters sections here in Toronto for the WYC, but we have quite a few people among the Toronto-area Voyageurs and U-Sector that are capable.

I am 100% sure that i am managing the usector section for the u20 WC section, so if people want to jump on board with us, you are more then welcome. I am not tryign to convert anyone or anything... just we will be there as the usector and supporting canada...

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

I am 100% sure that i am managing the usector section for the u20 WC section, so if people want to jump on board with us, you are more then welcome. I am not tryign to convert anyone or anything... just we will be there as the usector and supporting canada...

Well there is your answer for Toronto.

I'm pretty damn sure I'll be helping him out next year in the same capacity that I am for this upcoming friendly.

As for pleading with the CSA to keep all Canadian supporters in one section, do you guys think this is at all worthwhile. I'm damned busy, but I'd be willing to draft a letter and pass it by a few of you before sending it along. I think it would be important to indicate why we must have a single supporter section and how the CSA could arrange it etc.

Or should we focus our energies elsewhere?

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

As for pleading with the CSA to keep all Canadian supporters in one section, do you guys think this is at all worthwhile. I'm damned busy, but I'd be willing to draft a letter and pass it by a few of you before sending it along. I think it would be important to indicate why we must have a single supporter section and how the CSA could arrange it etc.

Or should we focus our energies elsewhere?

Any help from the CSA couldn't hurt. Look at what is happening at the World Cup in Germany. You don't think that Croatia's,England's or Trinidad & Tobagos football assocations for examples didn't help secure a section for their fans?

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

Any help from the CSA couldn't hurt. Look at what is happening at the World Cup in Germany. You don't think that Croatia's,England's or Trinidad & Tobagos football assocations for examples didn't help secure a section for their fans?

Pretty sure that's automatically done.

Archived