MLS Press Conference May 11

L.T.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by mlsintoronto

I do. what would you like to know?

Can he justify the huge welfare check various levels of government have given to a corporation worth 1.3 billion to get involve with pro soccer in Toronto?

And does he expect the MLS team to outdraw the AHL Marlies pathetic less than 3K a game average?

Any organisation that can't get any of teams into the play-offs and then completely mess up a sure thing(AHL) in a hockey crazy city by over pricing tickets and not understanding the market, should be able to run a pro soccer team with the same level of marketing savy...the marlies had two promotion nights all of last year...and one was a team poster night. Will MLS toronto have a Italian night, a Jamican night, a Serbian night and a take mom to the game night?

I await the ethnic name.

I do. what would you like to know?

Well, since it has been reported/mentioned/stated on a few different boards that you are in fact him.....I guess you do have "info" on him.

I'm not so much interested in "info" on you but am curious as to the reasoning/logic behind the manner in which MLS has been "rolled out" by MLSE?

It is all rather curious to me that less than 1 year from the start of the team's life there are no ticket selling campaigns under way....there is no mention of soccer on the parent company's web page (a site search under "soccer" just, sadly, takes you to the press release regarding the passing of Mr. Stavro)....no announcements or press conferences and the only "rep" from MLSE that has spoken to the soccer public (you) sorta snuck onto boards with a pseudonym and gave the impression (in the early posts anyway) that you were some sort of junior employee that had caught the soccer bug and was trying to do some unofficial research with which to impress the bosses.

Turns out you seem to be the key business ops guy for soccer....I am a fan...I also happen to control a decent sized marketing/expense budget that we use to entertain clients and partners (a disproportionate amount of which your employers end up getting)....I think I am a logical target customer (ie. lifelong soccer nut with corporate money to spend) but the whole approach has me wondering if MLSE are taking soccer seriously or if it is a bit of a lark for them and I wonder if we shouldn't just continue to spend our summertime entertainment $$$$ on the golf course and at Rogers Centre......not trying to sound too negative (I have assumed all along that I would end up buying 4 of your best season tickets) but I think you deserve an honest opinion.....

sorry to do this via a web discussion board....I would have sent this to you in a more discrete manner but there does not seem to be any other way to contact MLSE about soccer.....on the "vote for the name web page" as an example, I fully registered with legit information hoping (really hoping) that you would use that information to market to me, to sell to me and to keep me informed about the progress you are making....instead, it is on this board, again, that I hear there is a presser on Thursday to announce the name and other stuff....it is all very disappointing and I do not understand the strategy.

Guest Domi Rulezz
quote:Originally posted by G-Man

the marlies had two promotion nights all of last year

On another thread you were blasting the use of promotions to get attendance up, now you are admonishing MLSE for not using promotions to get Marlies attendance up.

You should really try to get you trolling in order. Or at least troll consitently one way or another.

There hasn't been any news to share...the launch is Thursday, ticket sales won't happen until much later (November maybe?). I've been doing fun work like researching the prices of commercial real estate, office equipment etc. We won't ramp up staff until probably after the summer (after we get an office space). We have no news on potential GM or Coach, and even if there was some movement there you know I wouldn't be able to share it publicly.

Others have asked me to do a blog to let people see what we're up to but it would be a horrible read (in my opinion) and like I said - the content would be the boring stuff I listed above.

We're not being secretive, there just isn't news at this time. In the next 12 months we'll have more than enough time to launch this team properly.

Here's something: The team name and logo will be launched tomorrow, May 11. We'll also launch a web site (not a lot of content, but we'll at least have a presense), and we'll be able to take deposits for Season Seats.

Regarding the stadium - don't forget it does not belong to MLSEL contrary to what some would have you believe. The people in charge of that project will release information on the stadium on their own timeline.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by TOareaFan

Well, since it has been reported/mentioned/stated on a few different boards that you are in fact him.....I guess you do have "info" on him.

I'm not so much interested in "info" on you but am curious as to the reasoning/logic behind the manner in which MLS has been "rolled out" by MLSE?

It is all rather curious to me that less than 1 year from the start of the team's life there are no ticket selling campaigns under way....there is no mention of soccer on the parent company's web page (a site search under "soccer" just, sadly, takes you to the press release regarding the passing of Mr. Stavro)....no announcements or press conferences and the only "rep" from MLSE that has spoken to the soccer public (you) sorta snuck onto boards with a pseudonym and gave the impression (in the early posts anyway) that you were some sort of junior employee that had caught the soccer bug and was trying to do some unofficial research with which to impress the bosses.

Turns out you seem to be the key business ops guy for soccer....I am a fan...I also happen to control a decent sized marketing/expense budget that we use to entertain clients and partners (a disproportionate amount of which your employers end up getting)....I think I am a logical target customer (ie. lifelong soccer nut with corporate money to spend) but the whole approach has me wondering if MLSE are taking soccer seriously or if it is a bit of a lark for them and I wonder if we shouldn't just continue to spend our summertime entertainment $$$$ on the golf course and at Rogers Centre......not trying to sound too negative (I have assumed all along that I would end up buying 4 of your best season tickets) but I think you deserve an honest opinion.....

sorry to do this via a web discussion board....I would have sent this to you in a more discrete manner but there does not seem to be any other way to contact MLSE about soccer.....on the "vote for the name web page" as an example, I fully registered with legit information hoping (really hoping) that you would use that information to market to me, to sell to me and to keep me informed about the progress you are making....instead, it is on this board, again, that I hear there is a presser on Thursday to announce the name and other stuff....it is all very disappointing and I do not understand the strategy.

If you would leave some contact info for yourself where someone at MLS could find it, you may be surprised that they have indeed been in contact with some of us here, and quite pleasantly so.

I agree that they seem a bit thin staffed and are a bit behind on everything. It also seems that they could have reached out further to the community sooner, but maybe they feared the kind of debates found here, and thought it better to not get involved. But since the franchise was only negotiated 5 months ago it is understandable they have been slow getting going. Hopefully they'll move strongly when they are under way...

Nothing substantive on the stadium yet? Been busy so maybe I've missed something but still haven't seen any eye catching designs released or firmer construction time lines announced.

Was hoping to hear something of that tomorrow, MLS press conference or no. Was under the impression that like it or not New Ex and MLS are joined at the hip. 'Cause you know, there are going to be some stadium questions brought up.

Can he justify the huge welfare check various levels of government have given to a corporation worth 1.3 billion to get involve with pro soccer in Toronto?

And does he expect the MLS team to outdraw the AHL Marlies pathetic less than 3K a game average?

Any organisation that can't get any of teams into the play-offs and then completely mess up a sure thing(AHL) in a hockey crazy city by over pricing tickets and not understanding the market, should be able to run a pro soccer team with the same level of marketing savy...the marlies had two promotion nights all of last year...and one was a team poster night. Will MLS toronto have a Italian night, a Jamican night, a Serbian night and a take mom to the game night?

I await the ethnic name.

i don't know if this is a case of bad news cause i don't follow team ... however, there's been another MLSE FIRING ...

this time, toronto rock coach/gm terry sanderson ...

thewhy

1. the rock's worst regular season record in team history

2. an embarrassing 1st round playoff exit (that's the big one why)

There hasn't been any news to share...the launch is Thursday, ticket sales won't happen until much later (November maybe?). I've been doing fun work like researching the prices of commercial real estate, office equipment etc. We won't ramp up staff until probably after the summer (after we get an office space). We have no news on potential GM or Coach, and even if there was some movement there you know I wouldn't be able to share it publicly.

Others have asked me to do a blog to let people see what we're up to but it would be a horrible read (in my opinion) and like I said - the content would be the boring stuff I listed above.

We're not being secretive, there just isn't news at this time. In the next 12 months we'll have more than enough time to launch this team properly.

Here's something: The team name and logo will be launched tomorrow, May 11. We'll also launch a web site (not a lot of content, but we'll at least have a presense), and we'll be able to take deposits for Season Seats.

Regarding the stadium - don't forget it does not belong to MLSEL contrary to what some would have you believe. The people in charge of that project will release information on the stadium on their own timeline.

Will it be as well run as the Marlies? or the as successful on the field as the Raptors are the court? If you take away the money that MLSE has, do they really do a better job at running it's pro teams than let's say the Hartwells run the Lynx?

It's a toss up. And the edge goes to the Lynx cause they don't have interns posting on the internet to boast their ego's.

God I'm hoping for TorontoSpor. Bring out all those Turkish Torontotians wearing "offical product" 35 dollar scarves. Hopefully the team colour will be Fieldturf™ green.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

MLSE doesn't own the Toronto Rock. I believe the Waters family does.

i did say i know nothin about the rock ... and that's not all i know nothin about ...

anyhow, anyway, another MLSE FIRING ...

And the edge goes to the Lynx cause they don't have interns posting on the internet to boast their ego's.

If there is ever an expert in this field, it's you.

And mlsintoronto isn't exactly an intern, btw.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

If there is ever an expert in this field, it's you.

And mlsintoronto isn't exactly an intern, btw.

Well at least I'm not the one with sudo-reporter web blog there Rudi old chap.

Well he does come across as in intern....

Oh my gawd, are we still having this argument. ARGHHHHHHHHHH

It's a done deal! MLS is here and MLSE own it in a publicly funded stadium.........GET THE HELL OVER IT.

I wish the Toronto Canadiens ;) well and hope the stadium is full.

Now what do I think of CSA and the backing of this. Stupid F**KING DIM WITS. Will I ever forgive the CSA for backing one team in one city in one stadium. Well they better do something for the rest of the country soon. So no.........

.......but hey it's here or gonna be here. Give it a chance before you bash it.

As a non GTA guy, I fought the fight, I lost........Let's go TO MLS. GTA get out and support this team.

Can this be the last thread fighting over this.....it's a done deal......GET THE HELL OVER IT!

MLSE or Toronto Internationale or Beavers or Red Leafs whatever the hell you call yourself. Get out there and start selling some season tickets and get a national TV deal.

quote:Originally posted by argh1

Give it a chance before you bash it.

Well put.

Getting back to the topic at hand, does anyone here think that the team will not be called Inter Toronto FC?

quote:Originally posted by cndsoccer

yes...im thinking its going to be inter toronto fc...

toronto city is my fav.

As for Inter Toronto FC, is it perhaps possible that MLSE got enough backlash from the polling site that they've gone with another name? (Toronto FC being the main canadidate)

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

As for Inter Toronto FC, is it perhaps possible that MLSE got enough backlash from the polling site that they've gone with another name? (Toronto FC being the main canadidate)

But I'm still hoping that Slush Puppie Canada put down enough coin into MLSE hands and the team is called simply "Slush Puppie Toronto" and like Red Bull New York the kit could just have the slush puppy logo on it. This is the new MLS.

slushpuppie_logo.gif

and the home kit

DRO4-TT-LBL.jpg

The away kit

B000AY2NQ0.01-A153IXOEI0CDDD._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

slushpuppie.jpg

There hasn't been any news to share...the launch is Thursday, ticket sales won't happen until much later (November maybe?).

Shocking! By not selling tickets until November you will lose the corporate market...budgets are set long before November for the following year.

This is one area that I thought having a NHL team own the soccer team was a positive development. Whenever the NHL expands they force the new teams to have a strong season ticket base (something like 10,000 or so, I believe) before they take the word conditional out of the franchise description. I would have thought an NHL perspective would have realized the value of an early and strong ticket drive.

quote:I've been doing fun work like researching the prices of commercial real estate, office equipment etc. We won't ramp up staff until probably after the summer (after we get an office space). We have no news on potential GM or Coach, and even if there was some movement there you know I wouldn't be able to share it publicly.

As long as the important things like faxes and desks are looked after I am sure the ticket sales will follow.

quote:

Well as long as your needs are satisfied, no point catering to the stupid public who seem interested in your product...."why won't they just leave me alone to meet the Ricoh salesman and buy a colour copier!"

quote:We're not being secretive, there just isn't news at this time. In the next 12 months we'll have more than enough time to launch this team properly.

12 months from now you will be 5 or 6 games into season 1...that is the point, you do not have 12 months.

quote:

Why not just have a section on the Maple Leafs web page...isn't that visited daily by thousands of sports fans who might also become MLS fans? Why reinvent a new page with little/no content?

quote:Regarding the stadium - don't forget it does not belong to MLSEL contrary to what some would have you believe. The people in charge of that project will release information on the stadium on their own timeline.

That is just purely insulting to our intelligence to suggest you have little/no information on the stadium. I think we all know that you do not own the thing. You do manage it and, since you have generously agreed to pick up cost over-runs, we know that you are very involved in the construction/design....to suggest otherwise is a clear fabrication.

I am growing less confident by the minute.

Archived