MLS Press Conference May 11

L.T.

quote:Originally posted by TOareaFan

Shocking! By not selling tickets until November you will lose the corporate market...budgets are set long before November for the following year.

This is one area that I thought having a NHL team own the soccer team was a positive development. Whenever the NHL expands they force the new teams to have a strong season ticket base (something like 10,000 or so, I believe) before they take the word conditional out of the franchise description. I would have thought an NHL perspective would have realized the value of an early and strong ticket drive.

Perhaps he could be talking about general sales.

I'd like to think that the organization is already looking into corporate sales and so on.

quote:As long as the important things like faxes and desks are looked after I am sure the ticket sales will follow.

Jesus man, they need an office before they can hire staff to fill said office.

quote:Well as long as your needs are satisfied, no point catering to the stupid public who seem interested in your product...."why won't they just leave me alone to meet the Ricoh salesman and buy a colour copier!"

So you'd rather have mlsintoronto, who has been gracious enough to update many of us through this and other sites, spend more of his time creating a blog detailing mundane details of his job rather than focusing on the task at hand, just so you can feel more 'confident'?

quote:Why not just have a section on the Maple Leafs web page...isn't that visited daily by thousands of sports fans who might also become MLS fans? Why reinvent a new page with little/no content?

This is ludicrous. Instead of creating a new, seperate identity for the team, you'd rather it be buried under the 800-lb gorilla known as the Leafs?

quote:That is just purely insulting to our intelligence to suggest you have little/no information on the stadium. I think we all know that you do not own the thing. You do manage it and, since you have generously agreed to pick up cost over-runs, we know that you are very involved in the construction/design....to suggest otherwise is a clear fabrication.

I read it as saying that he's not going to pass on the info, because there will be others that will handle that stuff.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jeffery S.

Considering I could, if I had the money and motivation, have already reserved a box in the Whitecaps new stadium, as many have indeed, you have to admit that MLS TO is a bit behind and incomprehensibly so.

I think they are not dedicating sufficient human resources to the team, sorry to their rep on this thread but I think you should be pushing a bit harder after thinking about TOareaFAN's concerns.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Considering I could, if I had the money and motivation, have already reserved a box in the Whitecaps new stadium, as many have indeed, you have to admit that MLS TO is a bit behind and incomprehensibly so.

I can't disagree with this, but I do find it rather distasteful the way TOareaFan went after mlsintoronto.

A lot of what TOareaFan is asking of the MLSE rep probably does not fall under his jurisdiction, so when he says that he can't talk about stuff he gets drilled mercilessly.

I admire the passion, I just question the direction of that passion.

Another thing to consider is that the stadium is not owned by MLSE, in fact a lion's share of the monies is coming from the govts. With that in mind, it is clear to see why it is easier for the Whitecaps organization to begin selling suites and tickets (to a stadium that may or may not get built) while MLSE has to first deal with the inevitable pile of redtape that comes part and parcel with any govt project in this country.

TOareaFan: I agree 100%. Your initial questions seemed very reasonable and, IMHO, the responses from mlsintoronto seemed only to serve the interests of mlsintoronto (in particular the response re: the blog). Your responses to his reply mirror mine almost exactly, with one addition: while not ready to sell tickets to us (and I have definitely considered myself a likely season ticket buyer), they are fully prepared to take our deposit money. Maybe not a big thing, but unfortunately consistent with the tone of an organization that seems increasingly arrogant every year.

I don't mean this as bashing in any way. I hope mlsintoronto sees this (and your comments) as representative of the perception a portion of their market and takes this to heart.

Thanks.

no room for apologists here guys, I'm afraid...some here are regularly playing the unambitious, unprofessional, uninspired Canadian card, which in my mind includes apologising for leadership not showing more vision...I could swear some of you are seriously on the take, and I think few would say I am baiting or trolling (or slandering, with any degree of consistency) by saying it...

Training camp is 10 months away. We've know about this franchise for close to 4 months. Anyone who knows anything about soccer in this country knows that you have to do more than simply build it. Cause they don't come.

You need to sell the game, develop a market over time like they've done in Vancouver and Montreal and are doing on a smaller scale in places like Ottawa.

But MLSE doesn't have the time. It may have the pockets to survive a few sub 7K seasons, but if this franchise comes out the gate and can't draw well, people will turn away from it. They will regard pro soccer in this country as a joke once more.

10 months to go. Hire a GM, a coach and front office within weeks. Get out there in the community, run clinics, sponsor indoor leagues, shake hands and kiss babies.

You already lost this summer. A summer with a World Cup you could have tied into.

And don't offer pat excuses. We've been there. You need to do more than open the doors. You need to give soccer people a reason to buy in. And if they do, you'll have the most loyal fans. Come across as tourists (like you have been) and we will fry you.

Realise that you're not doing us a favour. We owe you nothing. Deliver the goods and we will buy in. We will be faithful and your biggest salesmen.

10 months and ticking..and we're worried that you're letting us down.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Perhaps he could be talking about general sales.

I'd like to think that the organization is already looking into corporate sales and so on.

The best place to start corporate sales would be with corporations that are existing customers. We have 8 raptor season tix and 6 Leafs season tix...and we have not been pitched...so no, they have not started. What we have been pitched is an "upgrade" from the Air Canada Club to the Platinum Club for 4 of our Raptor tix...so they know our phone number.

quote:Jesus man, they need an office before they can hire staff to fill said office.

MLSE has office space...use that....I here Pat Quinn's office is available.

quote:So you'd rather have mlsintoronto, who has been gracious enough to update many of us through this and other sites, spend more of his time creating a blog detailing mundane details of his job rather than focusing on the task at hand, just so you can feel more 'confident'?

See my point about using the existing MLSE web presense and their webmasters....what we thought we were getting was a new team as part of an existing corporate sports organisation with all of the marketing and communications support that goes with it....corporate leverage should allow them to get a web presense up and running very quickly.....jeez, some part-time soccer fans got that fans web page up in a hurry!

quote:This is ludicrous. Instead of creating a new, seperate identity for the team, you'd rather it be buried under the 800-lb gorilla known as the Leafs?

see above for rationale.

quote:I read it as saying that he's not going to pass on the info, because there will be others that will handle that stuff.

But no one is and to pass it off with the excuse that they don't know because they don't own it is what is insulting.

I can't disagree with this, but I do find it rather distasteful the way TOareaFan went after mlsintoronto.

A lot of what TOareaFan is asking of the MLSE rep probably does not fall under his jurisdiction, so when he says that he can't talk about stuff he gets drilled mercilessly.

I admire the passion, I just question the direction of that passion.

Where would you direct it? He either is or is not the spokesperson for MLSE's Excellent MLS Adventure.

quote:Another thing to consider is that the stadium is not owned by MLSE, in fact a lion's share of the monies is coming from the govts. With that in mind, it is clear to see why it is easier for the Whitecaps organization to begin selling suites and tickets (to a stadium that may or may not get built) while MLSE has to first deal with the inevitable pile of redtape that comes part and parcel with any govt project in this country.

Since the government bodies will share in any losses this stadium generates, I am sure they would not object to the selling of the tickets that would minimize those losses....besides, part of the deal with MLSE is that they manage, both, the operation and the construction of the place.

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

<mod>Please keep comments related to soccer, and refrain from taking shots at each other.</mod>

<admin> Sigma gave a warning, but some posters did not follow it. That was reason enough to lock this thread. Instead, in order not to cut off the actual discussion going on here, I put in the extra effort to delete all the offending comments, post by post. But that's the last time. </admin>

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

<mod>Please keep comments related to soccer, and refrain from taking shots at each other.</mod>

<admin> Sigma gave a warning, but some posters did not follow it. That was reason enough to lock this thread. Instead, in order not to cut off the actual discussion going on here, I put in the extra effort to delete all the offending comments, post by post. But that's the last time. </admin>

quote:Originally posted by DJT

a shame that is.

I liked my Red Bull Supporters slagging the Slush Puppie Supporters for not being a more macho refreshment.

There nothing like two corporate entities fighting for beverage superiority through sport.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

a shame that is.

I liked my Red Bull Supporters slagging the Slush Puppie Supporters for not being a more macho refreshment.

There nothing like two corporate entities fighting for beverage superiority through sport.

But no one is and to pass it off with the excuse that they don't know because they don't own it is what is insulting.

He didn't say he didn't know at all. He said that those directly involved in the stadium project (ie. not him) will release info when they're ready.

quote:Originaly posted by mlsintoronto

Regarding the stadium - don't forget it does not belong to MLSEL contrary to what some would have you believe. The people in charge of that project will release information on the stadium on their own timeline.

Like it or not, we're not going to be privy to every detail surrounding this entire project, as it happens. The amount of info that mlsintoronto has given us so far has been substantial, although perhaps no so much on this board (and seeing the overreaction and hyperbole thrown about every time he posts, I can't say I blame him).

As for the stadium, I fully expect more details to be released soon by those in charge of that particular project, as it is publicly funded and the public does have a right to know.

That being said, they just started building the thing in January, and they need it to be done by May of next year, so I'd say that perhaps holding press conferences and talking with internet message boards is the farthest thing from their minds right now.

He didn't say he didn't know at all. He said that those directly involved in the stadium project (ie. not him) will release info when they're ready.

quote:Originaly posted by mlsintoronto

Regarding the stadium - don't forget it does not belong to MLSEL contrary to what some would have you believe. The people in charge of that project will release information on the stadium on their own timeline.

Like it or not, we're not going to be privy to every detail surrounding this entire project, as it happens. The amount of info that mlsintoronto has given us so far has been substantial, although perhaps no so much on this board (and seeing the overreaction and hyperbole thrown about every time he posts, I can't say I blame him).

As for the stadium, I fully expect more details to be released soon by those in charge of that particular project, as it is publicly funded and the public does have a right to know.

That being said, they just started building the thing in January, and they need it to be done by May of next year, so I'd say that perhaps holding press conferences and talking with internet message boards is the farthest thing from their minds right now.

What he said is those responsible would....MLS is responsible for the construction...if not the financing.

They have not even released renderings!

quote:

No one has asked to be privy to all details...just some and, in particular, those relevant to the marketing/sales of soccer and MLS in this market. If he has released information, perhaps I owe him an apology...what has he released and to whom and where?

quote:

Agree we have a right to know....what makes you soon that they will do it now when they have not so far? On the CSA's web page there is barely even a mention of this new stadium!

quote:

Perhaps you think that I think the actual workers or designers should be posting/discussing this stuff...does MLS or the City or the CSA not have press officers? Come on....this is pure incompetence, plain and simple!!!!!

Even the timing of this press conference is bizarre.....the most watched soccer show that cares about this stuff is Soccer Saturday...it is most watched because the EPL audience draws viewers....why wait until after the end of the EPL season and the end of SS's big audience to do this? Is there something that has happened in the past week to make this press conference possible when it was not possible last week?

What he said is those responsible would....MLS is responsible for the construction...if not the financing.

They have not even released renderings!

quote:

No one has asked to be privy to all details...just some and, in particular, those relevant to the marketing/sales of soccer and MLS in this market. If he has released information, perhaps I owe him an apology...what has he released and to whom and where?

quote:

Agree we have a right to know....what makes you soon that they will do it now when they have not so far? On the CSA's web page there is barely even a mention of this new stadium!

quote:

Perhaps you think that I think the actual workers or designers should be posting/discussing this stuff...does MLS or the City or the CSA not have press officers? Come on....this is pure incompetence, plain and simple!!!!!

Even the timing of this press conference is bizarre.....the most watched soccer show that cares about this stuff is Soccer Saturday...it is most watched because the EPL audience draws viewers....why wait until after the end of the EPL season and the end of SS's big audience to do this? Is there something that has happened in the past week to make this press conference possible when it was not possible last week?

Shocking! By not selling tickets until November you will lose the corporate market...budgets are set long before November for the following year.

This is a problem. In addition to corporate budgets, the energy, excitement, and mass media attention of the World Cup will be long gone by November. The only advantage I see to a November launch is maybe getting your season's tickets for free as a Christmas present!

I always thought that a *GOOD* professional soccer team would be a blessing for Toronto's corporate sector as the rise in globalization means that more business/negotiating/entertaining is done with clients/partners from outside North America. The ability to take them to see a game they love, played at a reasonably high level, for a fraction of the cost of a Leafs game, must be an attractive proposition for many in the corporate sector.

The CTV/TSN/Sportsnet partnership intends to broadcast all 64 World Cup games. Furthermore, most of Toronto's largest immigrant communities have seen their "home countries" qualify for the World Cup. The World Cup therefore offers an awesome opportunity to market directly to specific target groups.

Actual commercial advertising is limited during soccer broadcasts, but a large bulk purchase of ads during the half throughout the tournament, or even sponsorship ("This TSN halftime report is brought to you by the Toronto Black Squirrels - Canada's first MLS Team", OR "The Sportsnet World Cup Recap with Gerry Dobson and Craig Forest is brought to you by The Toronto City Exhibitionists of the MLS") is possible. At the very least, I expect MLSE personnel to make themselves widely available for interviews to get some "free advertising" from the mainstream media during the brief period of time that the World Cup is on and the mainstream media actually cares about soccer.

This is a problem. In addition to corporate budgets, the energy, excitement, and mass media attention of the World Cup will be long gone by November. The only advantage I see to a November launch is maybe getting your season's tickets for free as a Christmas present!

I always thought that a *GOOD* professional soccer team would be a blessing for Toronto's corporate sector as the rise in globalization means that more business/negotiating/entertaining is done with clients/partners from outside North America. The ability to take them to see a game they love, played at a reasonably high level, for a fraction of the cost of a Leafs game, must be an attractive proposition for many in the corporate sector.

The CTV/TSN/Sportsnet partnership intends to broadcast all 64 World Cup games. Furthermore, most of Toronto's largest immigrant communities have seen their "home countries" qualify for the World Cup. The World Cup therefore offers an awesome opportunity to market directly to specific target groups.

Actual commercial advertising is limited during soccer broadcasts, but a large bulk purchase of ads during the half throughout the tournament, or even sponsorship ("This TSN halftime report is brought to you by the Toronto Black Squirrels - Canada's first MLS Team", OR "The Sportsnet World Cup Recap with Gerry Dobson and Craig Forest is brought to you by The Toronto City Exhibitionists of the MLS") is possible. At the very least, I expect MLSE personnel to make themselves widely available for interviews to get some "free advertising" from the mainstream media during the brief period of time that the World Cup is on and the mainstream media actually cares about soccer.

Archived