JDV bit on Skysports.com (more)

Cheeta

Nothing too exciting. Think a 2 year contract would about wrap things up for JDVs European career. (In truth he never had a step to spare, and the inevitable loosing of one will pretty much wrap things up for the big man as far as English football is concearned).

And unless I'm mistaken I'm quite sure de Vos has worn the captains armband a few times this year. Could be thinking of someone else.

Ipswich have Millwall at Portman Road Saturday and anything but the max. points would be a disaster as Wolves & Cardiff, both on 55 points and just out of a playoff spot square off at Molineux. A better opportunity to narrow the gap there won't be.

From SkySports.com

Ipswich defender Jason de Vos is poised to sign a new contract after confirming that he wants to stay a Tractor Boy for the rest of his stay in England.

The Canadian international has become an integral member of Ipswich's team since his move to Portman Road in 2004, but his current deal expires this summer, leading to widespread speculation about his future.

However, the 32-year-old's agent has opened negotiations with the club about a new contract, which would tie de Vos to Town until 2008.

De Vos, who is set to become club captain when Jim Magilton moves on at the end of the season, believes that he can help fire Ipswich into The Premiership next year.

"The business of a new contract is not something that I am putting any time or energy into. My agent is handling it and as far as I am concerned I am more than happy here and want to stay for the rest of my career," he insisted.

"The future excites me. I can see us making a really big push for promotion next season - if we don't manage it this time, that is.

"I am not ruling out the possibility of us at least reaching the play-offs this year, not when we are playing as well as we have been in recent games.

"Of all the teams in The Championship, I would think that only the leaders, Reading, have been playing as well."

Ipswich are presently ninth in The Championship, but have won four of their last five games.

A bit more JDV in the press. Had hoped to see the fellow back at it again in the red and white after a spell away but it doesn't seem to be heading that direction.

From SkySports.com

Ipswich Town centre back Jason de Vos says retiring from international football with Canada has re-energised him as a player this season.

The 32-year-old club captain ended his career at international level when Canada failed to reach the final round of Concacaf World Cup qualifying in the autumn of 2004.

The former Darlington, Dundee United and Wigan Athletic defender has gone on to be an ever-present for Joe Royle's side this season - much to the delight of the Portman Road boss.

De Vos admitted concern for his health following the extra travel back to North America in order to play for Frank Yallop's Canada squad last season.

"I never admitted it at the time but it takes a heck of a lot out of you, playing for Canada, and it really hit me hard last year for the first time in my life," de Vos told Ipswich's Saturday matchday programme.

"Towards the end of last season, I kept getting sick to the point where I couldn't get out of bed.

"I very rarely get ill and I couldn't figure out what the problem was. I had blood tests done to see if there was something wrong, but the doctors came back and said it was just down to exhaustion and playing too many games.

"Calling it a day with Canada was probably the best thing I could have done because it has given me a new lease of life.

"I feel fresh, I feel invigorated about the rest of the season. This is the time of year when players start to feel tired - they struggle to get through training.

"It seems like a drag, but I'm coming in to training feeling great and looking forward to two hours on the training pitch, looking forward to games."

De Vos is expected to sign a new contract that would keep him at the East Anglian club until the summer of 2008.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Ipswich Town centre back Jason de Vos says retiring from international football with Canada has re-energised him as a player this season.

<snip>

De Vos admitted concern for his health following the extra travel back to North America in order to play for Frank Yallop's Canada squad last season.

"I never admitted it at the time but it takes a heck of a lot out of you, playing for Canada, and it really hit me hard last year for the first time in my life," de Vos told Ipswich's Saturday matchday programme.

<snip>

"Calling it a day with Canada was probably the best thing I could have done because it has given me a new lease of life.

Not the most ringing endorsement of choosing to play for Canada for those young guns that have the choice.

That's unfortunate.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

Not the most ringing endorsement of choosing to play for Canada for those young guns that have the choice.

That's unfortunate.

Agreed. However, considering his age and the number of games

he has played for Ipswich, plus his injuries, I don't really

blame him for his statement. I think Holger burned him out,

and at this stage, while I would not discount him out of our team,

I think the emphasis should be on those who want to play for us

in the coming WCQ and in the future.

JDV has been an admirable captain for Canada and we should

gracefully respect his wishes. Besides, what else would we

expect him to say to the (English) press?

quote:Originally posted by redhat

JDV has been an admirable captain for Canada and we should

gracefully respect his wishes. Besides, what else would we

expect him to say to the (English) press?

Oh, I agree.

I see his point. I just thought it was unfortunate to see in print. Especially when it seems like there are quite a few players we have been recently trying to entice to Canada (ie. JDG2, Lensky et al.)

Guest Jeffery S.

Considering how few games we play that is quite a bit of crock. The best players in the world play more games, they play Cup football midweek and always appear for their national sides. De Vos simply was dumped from a Wigan side when he refused to sign a one-year contract -his prerogative, I think they did not treat him well- and they promptly went up to EPL, while he is on an average 2nd tier team with a single hope for the future: play while getting paid.

I do not think this is overly admirable, but if it is acceptable, don`t make out like the trade off has been that leaving Canada represents great club play, if anything his club and his play have come down a step.

Though I see he did get a goal today, something he did more regularly for Wigan if I recall right.

He was really hurting during our WCQ campaign. While he was gratiously thanking me and a few others for our support he told us how banged up he was. Suffice it to say I was pretty impressed by his commitment given how much he was hurting.

I don't think playing for Canada necessarily hurts your domestic career, but if you're a physical central defender in the CCC and you're getting a little older and already playing hurt, flying across the pond and not getting a break compounds things and leads to more nagging injuries. If you've got a leg injury, letting it rest and getting treatment midweek is surely prefereable than flying halfway around the world and playing a very competitive international match. All I think he was saying is that not playing internatonally (much like not playing a full European schedule or not going deep into the cup) keeps you fresher at this point in the season.

cheers,

matthew

If his next (and likely last) contract runs till summer 2008, then JDV might consider joining MLS Toronto in mid-summer 2008, which would be just in time for the semifinal round of WCQ. I wonder whether JDV would then play for Canada again, without the need for overseas travel?

• 2 weeks later...

Re-hashing of the origional SkySports by the BBC. Highlighted the bit that interests me the most. If their was Premier interest fairly recently it flew under my radar, but that's neither here nor there as talk is just talk.

------------------------------------------------------------------

De Vos extends Ipswich contract

De Vos joined Ipswich from Wigan in 2004

Ipswich Town defender Jason de Vos has signed a contract extension that will keep him at Portman Road until the summer of 2008.

The 32-year-old Canadian's existing deal was due to expire next year.

He told the club website: "It is my ambition to play in the Premiership and with the players we have, I see no reason why it can't happen here.

"We're heading in the right direction and that made signing the new deal the easiest decision of my career."

De Vos joined Ipswich in the summer of 2004 on a free transfer from Wigan.

He was reported to have become the target of Premiership interest recently but believes that the Tractor Boys can fulfil his ambitions of playing in the top-flight.

He added: "The progress the young players have made here over the past year has made me feel very confident about the future and while the play-offs look unlikely this year, I see us as strong challengers for promotion next season."

Personally I think that Jason Devos has been nothing except a shining advertisement for our program. Yeah he's 32. And he's being honest. And he went through a lot of stuff to play for Canada. Give a guy a break, if not a friggin' trophy.

Archived