Houston changes name to Dynamo

Richard

"With a fitting backdrop of the Houston Museum of Natural Science's Weiss Energy Hall, the Houston club in Major League Soccer will be known as the Dynamo, team president and general manager Oliver Luck announced Monday in a press conference...

In an attempt to restore faith with Houston's Spanish-speaking community, club officials decided to change the club's original name from Houston 1836. Houston MLS officials were adamant that their intentions were never to disrespect Houston or its diverse community. The new name was chosen internally, as opposed to a fan poll."

http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20060306&content_id=53253&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

Seems the name Houston 1836 bombed with the multicultural community.

The extent to which the name "bombed" was largely exaggerated by the reaction of the team, but it just goes to show what can happen when a group of $hit disturbers make noise.

I guess the same group of people will now take their whining-success and petition to have the city of Houston re-named as well since I understand it is named after Sam Houston, the guy who helped win the battle of 1836 that the previous name was allegedly referring to.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

The extent to which the name "bombed" was largely exaggerated by the reaction of the team, but it just goes to show what can happen when a group of $hit disturbers make noise.

I guess the same group of people will now take their whining-success and petition to have the city of Houston re-named as well since I understand it is named after Sam Houston, the guy who helped win the battle of 1836 that the previous name was allegedly referring to.

Yes, the funny thing is that the anti-1836 cause was taken up by a few hispanic politicians, while on message boards like Bigsoccer and in letters to the Houston Papers large numbers of mexican-Americans expressed their approval of the name 1836. It seems that some politicians found that it could be a football that they could use to score some political points...

give it to the latino community g-l. the rule of biz is to make sure you know your market. something the mls didn't do when they stole the best supported team in the league and moved them to a city with zero tradition with pro soccer.

The MLS woke up and realised that without the latino support the team was dead in the water.

It is great they got it changed to a name with such a latin tradition. Dynamo was usually a club name used in communist eastern European countries for clubs that had an association with the secret police like Dynamo Moscow (sponsored by KGB) and Dynamo Berlin/Dynamo Dresden (sponsored by Stasi). Maybe the CIA can give them some money for tradition's sake.

huhhhhh, okay Goof-Man show me your facts that make San Jose the best supported team in the MLS??? and show me, the facts that show that Houston has zero tradition???, as usual, wrong AGAIN!!!!! LOL!!!

cause i'll LOVE to prove you wrong [:X]

show me the facts....Goof-Man, of course, you are wrong,

show me the facts....Goof-Man, of course, all you do is dribble,

show me the facts....Goof-Man, of course, you are wrong, as usual,

show me the facts....Goof-Man, of course, you desire to sit with us,

show me the facts....Goof-Man. of course, you are wrong, typical,

show me the facts....Goof-Man, of course, you will bow and conform to the UNION!!! LOL!!!!

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

It is great they got it changed to a name with such a latin tradition. Dynamo was usually a club name used in communist eastern European countries for clubs that had an association with the secret police like Dynamo Moscow (sponsored by KGB) and Dynamo Berlin/Dynamo Dresden (sponsored by Stasi). Maybe the CIA can give them some money for tradition's sake.

He meant that they gave in to the Latino protests against the original name so as to not lose their support.

The logo changed as well:

hou_lg.gif

Well this is stupid. They had a nice traditional name that spoke to the city's history. But they didn't have the guts to defend themselves from a few complaints, and now they have a more typical "North American sports franchise" type of name who's tradition has zero connection with Houston. It may be ok for a new hockey franchise - one that wants to play a fast offensive style with Russian players - but it makes no sense for MLS.

Did they sell any 1836 jerseys, scarves, and other items? These would be collector's items now. The new franchise's original hardcore fans will want to keep these for years as a symbol of their being there from the beginning (and maybe a political statement too).

I hope MLSE will have more courage as I am sure that whatever name the Toronto team is given, there are bound to be some complaints. Gaining 100% consensus on anything with Toronto's population is impossible, so I hope that MLSE will pick a good name the first time around and stick with it.

quote:Originally posted by Franky

huhhhhh, okay Goof-Man show me your facts that make San Jose the best supported team in the MLS??? and show me, the facts that show that Houston has zero tradition???, as usual, wrong AGAIN!!!!! LOL!!!

cause i'll LOVE to prove you wrong [:X]

show me the facts....Goof-Man, of course, you are wrong,

show me the facts....Goof-Man, of course, all you do is dribble,

show me the facts....Goof-Man, of course, you are wrong, as usual,

show me the facts....Goof-Man, of course, you desire to sit with us,

show me the facts....Goof-Man. of course, you are wrong, typical,

show me the facts....Goof-Man, of course, you will bow and conform to the UNION!!! LOL!!!!

http://blogs.chron.com/soccer/archives/2006/01/can_1836_succee.html

Erm....this link you provided proves that you are wrong and Franky is right.

Don't bother to send in those law school applications any time soon......

uppp 11 failed pro teams in 30 years...Franky is right, it's a great market for the MLS to lose millions in and draw flies too.

But then again, you think a city that hasn't drawn more than 3K a per game per season in the last 20 years is a great market.

tool.

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

uppp 11 failed pro teams in 30 years...Franky is right, it's a great market for the MLS to lose millions in and draw flies too.

No one was questioning that there weren't previous teams there that failed in that city (just like every city in North America that's ever had a team), your claim was that there was no previous teams hence the "zero" pro soccer tradition comment, and that's what Frank was calling you out on (that and the claim that San Jose had the best supported team in the MLS, which is patently un-true). The link you provided disproves your claim, and your attempt to shift the goalposts of the argument in your riposte has failed miserably again, though I expect you are used to that by now.

don't waste your time G-L, he obviously burned himself. The fact that Houston has no soccer tradition whatsoever, is obvious since all those teams folded. The strong crowds for int'l games at Reliant Stadium means nil, as well. By the way, didn't the Houston Stars lead the league in attendance, also, weren't the Houston hotshots one of the top leaders in attendance in the CISL. need to do some soul searching. But still, evidence of soccer did exist in this city.

He won't be able to prove the first argument, facts are facts and of course, Goooof-Man is WRRRRONNNNGGGG, AS USUAL. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gooof-Man, just bend over and conform to the ultras and the union. [:P] you deserve it.

ahhh, what the hell, last time,

1996 - just over 17,000, places them 5th out of 10 teams.

1997 - just over 13,000, places them 6th out of 10 teams.

1998 - just under 14,000, places them 7th out of 12 teams.

1999 - just under 15,000, places them 6th out of 12 teams.

2000 - i just didn't feel like (does someone feel like it, go ahead)

2001 - i just didn't feel like (does someone feel like it, go ahead)

2002 - just under 9,600, places them 11th out of 12 teams

2003 - just over 10,000, places them 9th out of 10 teams.

2004 - just over 13,000, places them 8th out of 10 teams.

2005 - just over 13,000, places them 8th out of 12 teams.

two championships to go with, out of those records, except for 2000, 2001, anyone??. Not once did they ever place top four!!. At least argue that they were a small market team or something, save face at least. SOOOOOOOOOO, best supported team, maybe back in the old NASL days, i would concur but not in the MLS, totally different times Gino-Man.

G-L, see the problem with this guy is, he wants to be a $hit disturber and nothing more. if he rattles your feathers, his heart is content. honestly, i do not know how anyone including myself, wastes time over and over and over again posting to justify our comments and re-butttt his far-fetched, purposely mis-contrued Q&As over and oover and over and over again. like i said, he should give it a rest, everyone is laughing at him and not with him.

i thought this guy was cast off by the Montreal supporters collective, or am i misled somewhere???

Archived