Whitecap Exodus?

Calgary Boomer

Mike Franks isn't the only Whitecap not happy with two 8am practices a week at SFU. There could be quite a change from last year's squad as it looks like Mark Watson, Carlo Corazzin, Mike & Chris Franks...and (almost certain) Geordie Lyall won't be back. Who knows about Dasovic; Jordan isn't training with them either...the players are sick of Lilly already.

I also heard Andrew Corazza (SFU) is being invited to train with the team.

Lyall is currently in Africa with Seattle Sounders. Seattle are playing Tanzanian First Division sides on a tour. He's listed as "on loan" from Vancouver for the tour.

http://soundercentral.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=145

http://soundercentral.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=143

With the salaries these guys earn, they have every right to *want* a pleasant training atmosphere. Not easy, just pleasant. Vancouver isn't an island :D and players know they can play in Seattle or Portland if Mr. Lilley (truly an idiot) is too much to take.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Well poor little boys, their coach is making hem work for their place on the team for a change. You want to be a professional athlete, well then work like a professional athlete. I'm on Lilley's side.

So what you're saying Dick, is that players should risk losing the 40K they make during the off season, for the 15K they make during it?

As usual...you just don't get it.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

Mike Franks isn't the only Whitecap not happy with two 8am practices a week at SFU. There could be quite a change from last year's squad as it looks like Mark Watson, Carlo Corazzin, Mike & Chris Franks...and (almost certain) Geordie Lyall won't be back. Who knows about Dasovic; Jordan isn't training with them either...the players are sick of Lilly already.

The fact is, that with the salaries these guys make for the Whitecaps, they need another job. And two 8AM practices in the offseason doesn't make having another job very easy. I'd say there is no reason why those sessions can't be held at night.

Late in the season, Mike Franks, lost his starting spot on the team to the US goalie (Wicks). Chris Franks, Corazzin and Dasovic never had regular spots last year.

The only surprises are Jordan and Watson.

I dont post often enough, but I have heard through the grapevine that after Africa...Geordie Lyall will be heading to a Swedish club for a trial. And the source is very, very credible.

Also heard that most players were disillusioned with Lilley, thinking that he was the worst thing to hit the Whitecaps.

i wouldn't mind a lot of those players losing - they have a group that wins games, but doesn't win the big one. they have aging players - young blood must be brought in and trusted. i saw wicks at the end of the year and was very impressed. solid player. fact is if watson, corazzin, and franks want to go - LET THEM. they are too old and slow....

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

I saw Wicks in 2 or 3 televised games - he was awful. I can't believe that Franks was a healthy scratch.

Franks was NOT a healthy scratch. He went out with a hyperextended elbow after a collision with one of the midgets from the Richmond Kickers.

While we're on this topic, it was Caps keeper Alex Marques who was released in the 2005 pre-season due to morning practices... he was a construction worker by trade, so he was forced to choose between job and soccer. Granted, I'm sure there were other personality issues involved, but that's the official story.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

i wouldn't mind a lot of those players losing - they have a group that wins games, but doesn't win the big one. they have aging players - young blood must be brought in and trusted. i saw wicks at the end of the year and was very impressed. solid player. fact is if watson, corazzin, and franks want to go - LET THEM. they are too old and slow....

You're right. However, I do worry about who's going to replace them? The Ryan Trouts and Joey Gjertsons of the world didn't necessarily set the world on fire. I would also hate to have a totally American team.

And if you don't think old local has-beens can't get the job done...see the Seattle Sounders.

Guest Jeffery S.

Re Franks, yes, he was injured for the final 6 weeks of the season. Wicks had a decent performance in the remaining games, but perhaps it would have been better to expose him more to play a bit more attacking football. 4-5-1 at home in the playoffs to an inferior team is rather disgraceful.

After watching the team in one game, in fact the one Richmond tied in August, I told three players what I thought: that the team was far superior to their rival but was undercoached, that the midfield movement was all wrong, that it was not moving with the play correctly. The only part of the team properly coached was the back line and the defensive mids. The rest was pure improvisation.

To be fair to Trout, who was mentioned here, the guy was injured for a big chunk of the season after losing a ton of blood in an injury, he could not recover his fitness for a couple of months. Seems like an odd case. But yes, the Americans did not have the same committment to the club as a Vancouver institution, their committment was to their professionalism, which is a good thing, only that they could have done the same thing anywhere and it would not have mattered to them.

I am looking forward to seeing Srdjan start for the Whitecaps in 2006.

quote:

And if you don't think old local has-beens can't get the job done...see the Seattle Sounders.

The term "has-beens" refers to someone who has made it 'big,' then fallen back. Exactly which 2005 Sounder does that apply to?

Perhaps Billy Sleeth, who is local and once played in MLS. The Sounders had 5 rookies in 2005, 2 of whom impacted the starting line-up. Oh yeah, and some 24-year old Cuban guy who HOPES to someday be a has-been.

"Has-beens" to me, means players who are good enough to bring a championship to the Sounders, but not good enough to play MLS or beyond. I'm talking about the Zack Scotts, Scott Jenkins, Preston Burpos, Ryan Edwards, Welton's of the world.

Other than Burpo, who is certainly good enough to be in MLS*, I'd agree with you. Welton was a complete wash in 2005. Zach Scott is still young enough to get a look-see by MLS, but if it hasn't happened by now...

*I think he'd rather start in Seattle than back-up in the bigs, though.

In any case, it was indeed a mix of local boys and outside talent that claimed the cup for Seattle in 2005. Didn't the Impact use the same formula to win in 2004?

Archived