World Cup 2018

River City

If Pipe wants to impress me, then Canada should make a bid for this. If WYC 2007 delivered the Toronto stadium, imagine what the World Cup would bring......

PS: Why would it go back to Europe ahead of Asia anyway?

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=reu-englandworldbid&prov=reuters&type=lgns

England considers bid for 2018 World Cup

(Updating with quotes and background, adding byline)

By Kate Holton

LONDON, Nov 15 (Reuters) - The British government has held preliminary talks with the English Football Association about a possible bid for the 2018 World Cup finals.

ADVERTISEMENT

A government spokesman said on Tuesday that exploratory discussions with the FA had taken place and these talks "may go beyond preliminary discussions at some stage".

"We want to look at the chances of winning," Sports Minister Tessa Jowell told Sky Sports News on Tuesday.

"What it would cost, what the legacy would be in exactly the same way that we looked at bidding for the Olympic Games and bringing the Games to London in 2012.

"There were many people who thought we couldn't do that, we shouldn't do that. We went ahead, we won so I think things look set very fair for a World Cup bid but no decision, no final decision, has yet been taken by the FA."

With the 2006 finals being held in Germany, the 2010 World Cup in South Africa and the 2014 finals likely to be staged in Brazil, the 2018 competition represents the next available opportunity for a European country to bid for the event, although it is not yet certain to come to Europe.

FIFA, world soccer's ruling body, uses a continental rotation system for the finals which are not due to return to Europe until 2018 at the earliest. However, Oceania are also considering a bid to stage the finals in 2018.

That situation is complicated by Australia moving from the Oceania confederation to Asia this year and an Oceania World Cup without Australia would be an unrealistic option.

FIFA would most likely make a decision on the 2018 finals in 2012. England has hosted the World Cup once before, in 1966, when Bobby Moore captained the home team to victory.

ONCE BEFORE

Prime Minister Tony Blair said recently he would be open to a World Cup bid following Britain's success in winning the right to host the 2012 Olympic Games.

"If you think you have a shot at these things then have a go, that's my attitude," he said. "We did the Olympics -- I frankly didn't think we would win when we started, but we did.

"It'll be painful getting there (2012) but when we do it, it will be the greatest event this country has seen. I wouldn't push them to do it (bid for the World Cup), but if they want to, then why not?"

Brian Barwick, the FA's chief executive, noted in September that the prospect of England hosting the 2018 World Cup had been welcomed by FIFA President Sepp Blatter.

"Obviously, a World Cup in this country would be a fantastic occasion and every English football fan would love to see the world's best players gracing our stadia," he said.

"But at this stage the deadline for a 2018 bid is still several years away."

England last put a bid together for the 2006 World Cup. Its chances of success were hurt by political infighting with European governing body UEFA who gave their backing to Germany.

The last major soccer championship to take place in England was the European championship in 1996.

quote:Originally posted by River City

Do you guys think Canada should go after the World Cup in 2018 or 2022? I mean, we'll have 12 - 16 years to plan, so technically, it's a feasible proposition...

Almost certainly Europe will get the World cup in 2018. Probably England.

In any event, Canada's population is too small to host a World Cup. Best they could hope for is to co-host with the USA.

canada's population is dropping. we must increase either infant production or immigration immensley if we hope to even just maintain our current population. predicting it'll rise in 12-16 years is not accurate. you cannot judge population growth on major city growth - the rural communities are flailing.

the best canada can hope for as far as world cup participation within the next 50 years is either making it to the world cup or co-hosting...and frankly, co-hosting is the way to go. cheaper for each nation. promotes fifa fair play. promotes the game further in two countries than when it is hosted in 1.

england should not host the world cup. the British Isles should host the world cup - both irelands, scotland, wales, england all getting games and groups. few countries in the world should host by themselves. ie/usa (but canada needs them so cancel them out!), germany, brazil, france, italy, etc...

i wonder what the financial differences are between co-hosted championships and single country championships.

I believe that FIFA (ok , Sepp Blatter) had issued a statement saying that 2002 was the last time they'd look at cohosting a World Cup in order to avoid all logistical issues.

Can you imagine a bunch of drunken Portuguese (feel free to enter your nationality here) leaving Canada after a game to go watch the next one in the US? With all the current issues, cohosting is not a viable solution....unless of course we're part of the US by then.....

Canada's population is dropping?? Its still growing. If we had no immigrant your claim would be correct, but immigration is what is keeping this country's population from dropping like Germany's and Italy's population currently is.

Also what makes South Africa (2010) so much more better than Canada? Theres only 10 more million people in South Africa than Canada and if you think of the level of crime and the racist history South Africa has had, Canada should be just as good of a host(barring only proper stadiums). What I mean to say is that population has nothing to do with hosting, unless you have only a few million residents, Canada has over 30 million.

Can you imagine a bunch of drunken Portuguese (feel free to enter your nationality here) leaving Canada after a game to go watch the next one in the US? With all the current issues, cohosting is not a viable solution....unless of course we're part of the US by then.....

Well, why would the drunken Portuguese need to cross borders?? All of Portugal's matches will be in one country, just like it was for all countries in Japan/Korea 2002.

But I don't see Canada hosting or co-hosting before the likes of Australia and China get their first chance to host. They deserve it more and football has more chance of growing in those nations...

I can't find the link but Stats Canada expects the population to drop by 15% in the next 20 years. Bareing Imigration being freed up.

Now will Canada host a WC well that's just funny. Unless ice stops freezing and hockey stops being popular soccer will never .......well never mind.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Well, why would the drunken Portuguese need to cross borders?? All of Portugal's matches will be in one country, just like it was for all countries in Japan/Korea 2002.

But I don't see Canada hosting or co-hosting before the likes of Australia and China get their first chance to host. They deserve it more and football has more chance of growing in those nations...

So, you're telling me no fans were travelling back and forth between Japan and Korea in 2002? While I've been lucky that all of my cross border visits have gone smoothly, the same is not true for some of my friends. And I can imagine there would definitely be some issues with racial profiling.

The Asian Federation should definitely get another World Cup, but considering CONCACAF hosted it in 94 and Japan/Korea in 2002, N. America should get it before Asia does.

quote:Originally posted by argh1

I can't find the link but Stats Canada expects the population to drop by 15% in the next 20 years. Bareing Imigration being freed up.

Now will Canada host a WC well that's just funny. Unless ice stops freezing and hockey stops being popular soccer will never .......well never mind.

True. Actually the population of the world as a whole is expected to drop in 60-70 years. The rate-of increase in population has started dropping a long time ago (in the 1970's i believe).

I hope Canada and the USA never get to host another world cup. Part of the fun at being at a world cup is being surrounded by footy fans everywhere you go and absorbing the whole atmosphere. Feeling like you're at the world's biggest party every night. [8)]

quote:Originally posted by argh1

I agree Canada probably wont get a world cup just because soccer is not popular enough. If there was a HUGE resurgence in following in the next ten years because of MLS and 2007 WYC, then it could maybe happen, but not the way the state of soccer in Canada is today. But look at the bright side, if we do host a world cup one of the conditions might be that we have to start up a domestic league like the US in 1994.

About the world population, its expected to double before it starts dropping. In 60 or 70 years Asians will probably be living on one another.

1) STATE OF SOCCER

We're talking about 12 years from now, giving us enough time to get our stuff together.

2) POPULARITY

Are you kidding me? Just because people don't show up to watch the Lynx, doesn't mean they won't show up to watch the big teams. I seem to recall Commonwealth being sold out for Brasil - Canada in '94. Canadian sport fans will pay to watch a quality product. You can't get higher quality than the world cup.

3) BIGGEST CHALLENGE

Regardless of what the population is, the main thing we need are stadiums. The only way they'll get built though is if we had something big we needed them for. If we were to land the World Cup, we'd have kick ass facilities from Halifax to Victoria. That's a legacy.

I agree with you Daniel, but the debate is not Canada vs Australia.

My point is that CONCACAF will get the right to host it again, and when we do, I think Canada should go for it. That's the first part of the discussion. The second is who is on rotation for 2018 - 2022.

1986 - Mexico (filling in for S. America)

1990 - Italy

1994 - US

1998 - France

2002 - Japan/Korea

ROTATION BEGINS

2006 - Germany

2010 - S. Africa

2014 - Most likely CONMEBOL

2018 - Should go to CONCACAF

2022 - Should go to Asia

2026 - Should go to UEFA

When it comes down to Asia/Oceania, since Australia is in Asia now, I can't see FIFA giving it to Oceania. No offence to New Zealanders, but THEY'RE not big enough to host it. I can bet there will be some wheeling and dealing between, Quatar (spending a lot of money to market themselves to the world's elite tourists), China and Australia for the next Asian host nation.

Canadian competition for a bid will be between the US and Mexico and since MExico has hosted it twice, it's down to Canada and the US. If the CSA get prepared now, as long as they cover all bases and make sure FIFA is satisfied, we have a realistic shot.

I agree with you Daniel, but the debate is not Canada vs Australia.

My point is that CONCACAF will get the right to host it again, and when we do, I think Canada should go for it. That's the first part of the discussion. The second is who is on rotation for 2018 - 2022.

1986 - Mexico (filling in for S. America)

1990 - Italy

1994 - US

1998 - France

2002 - Japan/Korea

ROTATION BEGINS

2006 - Germany

2010 - S. Africa

->->2014 - Most likely CONMEBOL<-<-

2018 - Should go to CONCACAF

2022 - Should go to Asia

2026 - Should go to UEFA

When it comes down to Asia/Oceania, since Australia is in Asia now, I can't see FIFA giving it to Oceania. No offence to New Zealanders, but THEY'RE not big enough to host it. I can bet there will be some wheeling and dealing between, Quatar (spending a lot of money to market themselves to the world's elite tourists), China and Australia for the next Asian host nation.

Canadian competition for a bid will be between the US and Mexico and since MExico has hosted it twice, it's down to Canada and the US. If the CSA get prepared now, as long as they cover all bases and make sure FIFA is satisfied, we have a realistic shot.

I've read that the 2014 is all but already awarded to Brazil.

Oh, and 2022 will probably come down to China and Australia. For cultural reasons (-ie- you're never going to get Brazilian women to wear 'conservative dress' at a World Cup) Iran and the Arab countries probably aren't ever getting the World Cup or Olympics. Qatar possibly being an exception, the only other two Arab nations where 'cultural differences' wouldn't probably wouldn't be a huge factor (Lebanon and perhaps Oman) just lack the size and money to pull off such an event.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Part of the fun at being at a world cup is being surrounded by footy fans everywhere you go and absorbing the whole atmosphere. Feeling like you're at the world's biggest party every night. [8)]

I guess you wern't in korea...if you were three blocks away you wouldn't know the tourny existed (except the nights they played of course)

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

No matter what arguments come up, Australia is ahead of us in pretty much every department AND their confederation had never hosted it (on top of previous experience with the Cricket and Rugby World Cups).

Actually didn't their Confederation host the last one??;)

Archived