Luxembourg v Canada (pre-match)

matthew

Feel free to throw any and all pre-match talk (mod change to in-match for pbp later?) in here leading up to the game. Not sure if any of the guys heading to Luxembourg can shed some light.

Le Quotidien has a nice three page spread/match preview which you can get a sense of, but can't read on-line. Or at least I'm too cheap to buy it (hey it's only a friendly).

http://pdf.lequotidien.lu/pdf/pdf/index.php?op=preview&edition=161105&p=20&prefx=LEQUOTIDIEN

Looks like they've got us 4-3-3 as expected and Luxembourg a 4-4-1-1.

I'm looking forward to this one mainly because I think it's going to be a long winter without much action . . .

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

I think most people feel it would be more fair if the playoffs were CONCACAF v CONMEBOL and AFC v Oceania. Wouldn't be surprised to see this happen in 4 years. So CONCACAF might keep the half-spot, but it would have less value.

Care to back that up? Who are 'most people'. The 4 interregional playoff teams are more or less equivalent in caliber. I haven't seen a blowout yet. Having the CONCACAF rep play CONMEBOL would only favour those two teams in reducing their travel time. The ACF vs Oceania travel would be almost identical to the current CONMEBOL vs Oceania travel. Or are you saying that CONMEBOL is far superior to ACF or CONCACAF? If you omit Argentina and Brasil from the comparison, there is not much difference in calibre, IMO.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Care to back that up? Who are 'most people'.

Sorry, I will change that to "most people I have discussed the topic with", such as at the Toronto Voyageurs meeting on the weekend.

And I do feel that the fifth-place CONMEBOL team is generally better than the other playoff teams. But the World Cup is not necessarily about sending the 32 best teams in the world. World representation is also a consideration.

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

Sorry, I will change that to "most people I have discussed the topic with", such as at the Toronto Voyageurs meeting on the weekend.

And I do feel that the fifth-place CONMEBOL team is generally better than the other playoff teams. But the World Cup is not necessarily about sending the 32 best teams in the world. World representation is also a consideration.

Pardon me. I didn't realize you consulted experts. Aren't they the same group who keep telling me that Canada is actually one of the top teams in CONCACAF?

Check out recent WC results. Only the top 2 CONMEBOL teams go much beyond the round of 16. CONCACAF has done no worse with it's 3 teams in recent WC's.

Archived