Another Soccer Channel Coming!!

GRE004

It seems that Telelatino wants a piece of the action, they have applied to the CRTC for an all-soccer channel as well as another channel that will broadcast Cricket, rugby and soccer (hmm, doesn't that sound familiar- hey that's what FSWC supposedly broadcasts!)

Unless FSWC is on the way out, I can't see what this channel will be broadcasting? Serie A and La Liga are on Gol TV Canada, English Premiership is already covered, Central and South American leauges are now covered by Gol TV Canada- So what is left?

The only thing I can think of is maybe they will partner with Setanta to bring their channel into Canada. But that is a premium channel which costs $12. a month in the U.S. and does not broadcast only soccer.

Any thoughs on this turn of events?!

Here is the exert from the Notice released by the CRTC for the hearing which will be held in January:

"Application by Telelatino Network Inc., on behalf of itself or on behalf of a corporation to be incorporated, for a licence to operate a Category 2 national English-language specialty programming undertaking to be known as RCS Television.

The applicant states that the proposed service will consist of programming devoted to rugby, cricket and soccer. The programming provided by the service will include both amateur and professional rugby, cricket and soccer matches as well as educational and instructional programs that will be designed to teach rugby, cricket and soccer enthusiasts all aspects of the games."

"Application by Telelatino Network Inc., on behalf of itself or on behalf of a corporation to be incorporated, for a licence to operate a Category 2 national English-language specialty programming undertaking to be known as Soccer Television.

The applicant states that the proposed service will consist of programming devoted to soccer. The programming provided by the service will include both amateur and professional soccer matches as well as educational and instructional programs that will be designed to teach soccer enthusiasts all aspects of the game."

Fox sports world canada sucks. I've been severely disappointed ever since I switched to Bell express vu. Mind you, I subscribed so I could get the Portuguese League package.

I'm hoping Goltv is offered right away and Telelatino gets their application accepted as the competition might cause FSWC to improve their service.

River City,

I agree about FSWC but now I believe I know the reason why it sucks and I am afraid the same thing will happen to Gol TV also. I was really pissed about how FSWC has gone downhill and how their channel was better when it first launched then it is now, the reason is most likely due to the stupid Canadian content rules dictated by the CRTC. In the first year of operation the channel is required to have 15% CDN content, that increases to 35% by the fifth year (if I am not mistaken). How are they supposed to fill that quota when there is no existing content they could show, aside from Direct kicks and they have not created anything new themselves (except for Fox Sports World Report which is why its on 50 times a day)?

Since the quota is only 15% in the first year, Gol TV should have good coverage now but eventually they will need more CDN content and that is when the channel will start to suffer. It remains to be seen what they will do in terms of creating new content, but we have seen what FSWC has turned into so it doesn't look very promising.

Time to Get rid of these stupid CRTC rules for CDN content!

quote:Originally posted by GRE004

Unless FSWC is on the way out, I can't see what this channel will be broadcasting? Serie A and La Liga are on Gol TV Canada, English Premiership is already covered, Central and South American leauges are now covered by Gol TV Canada- So what is left?

The only thing I can think of is maybe they will partner with Setanta to bring their channel into Canada. But that is a premium channel which costs $12. a month in the U.S. and does not broadcast only soccer.

You sort-of answered your own question here. There is plenty of soccer left to show. Just look at what Setanta Sports USA (the $12 channel) shows. Hardly any of their content is shown in Canada (World cup qualifying, champions league, UEFA Cup, the English old first-division, SPL, Bundesliga matches + highlight show, etc.).

We are still missing the stuff from Fox Sports en Español and/or ESPN Deportes, especially the Copa Libertadores and Copa Sudamericana. I'd much rather have just those two added to an existing channel than have a whole new channel like Gol TV Canada with the stuff they are showing, never mind yet another channel from Telelatino.

I can't see all these soccer channels surviving. It seems that these companies are responding to current hype and flooding the market, but I don't see it working in the long run.

quote:Originally posted by GRE004

I was really pissed about how FSWC has gone downhill. The reason is most likely due to the stupid Canadian content rules dictated by the CRTC.

Really? I guess the Canadian content is expensive to produce and maybe that's why they can't afford many decent live games.

If they had more quality live matches I'd subscribe again, even if they show the dreadful Out Of Bounds 20 hours a day.

they can easily fill their Cdn content quota if they actually had their own announcers doing the games. And lord oh mercy, even send some live bodies to the stadium where the game is being played and do their own production!

so, it is more a question of profit/loss - cheaper to simulcast games and re-run World Report 10 times a day.

Seems to be a bit of over-saturation developing. Tells you everything you need to know about what it costs to operate (and buy product for) some of these digital channels when everybody and their dog wants to get in on the act.

And long live the CRTC rules! If you want to play then you can God damn well can pay. Definately should brush up on what applies as Canadian content though. Repeating the same 1/2 hour report for 6 hours a day defeats the purpose.

I'm sure plenty of local footie (yes, including CPSL) can be broadcast on the cheap and would be very happy for the coverage. Not to mention crap wanna-be sports journalist doing some kitchen table stuff for the viewing audience (Italian soccer fanatics).

quote:Originally posted by red card

they can easily fill their Cdn content quota if they actually had their own announcers doing the games. And lord oh mercy, even send some live bodies to the stadium where the game is being played and do their own production!

Oh please no! The day FOX uses north american broadcasters for the EPL is the day that I UNsubscribe.

The fact that Canadian broadcasters announcing a match from England or Germany can make a program "Canadian" is a joke anyway. Just like its a joke that the FSWR is considered "Canadian" when the content is anything but Canadian. I think I was watching that show for about six months before I even knew it was based in Winnipeg. I mean, who cares?

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

The fact that Canadian broadcasters announcing a match from England or Germany can make a program "Canadian" is a joke anyway. Just like its a joke that the FSWR is considered "Canadian" when the content is anything but Canadian. I think I was watching that show for about six months before I even knew it was based in Winnipeg. I mean, who cares?

The Canadian content quota seems to be as much about keeping jobs in Canada as any higher goal of promoting Canadian culture.

I don't think using Canadian annoucers for foreign games would be enough to be considered Canadian content. There are complicated rules for what it takes to qualify.

Are there any loopholes? Could teams with enough Canadians playing qualify(Tromso, Millwall)? How about foreign teams playing in Canada (Santos vs. Sporting) produced by a Canadian broadcast crew or Canadian ownership (Stronach's Austria Vienna?

Archived