Match 6

Vancouver Whitecaps vs. Montreal Impact

Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 4:00 PM PDT

Swangard Stadium, Burnaby

Radio & Audio Webcast:

TEAM 1040 AM Vancouver

</center>

SCENARIOS

[*]This match is of no significance in the 2005 Voyageurs Cup standings (nor in the 2005 USL D1 standings) since Montreal and Vancouver have already clinched first and second place, respectively (and first and third place, respectively, in the USL D1).

[*]The 2005 Voyageurs Cup scoring title is up for grabs: Mauro Biello has 2 goals and Joey Gjertsen, Antonio Ribeiro and Zé Roberto have 1 goal each.

[*]There are a few long streaks on the line: Montreal are undefeated in 13 consecutive Voyageurs Cup matches (plus 3 more against Toronto in non-Voyageurs Cup matches make it 16 against Canadian clubs overall) since July 16, 2003 (Montreal 2 Toronto 3); Montreal are undefeated in all Voyageurs Cup matches against Vancouver; and Montreal have won all Voyageurs Cup matches in Vancouver without giving up a goal.

MATCH PREVIEWS

[*]Vancouver

»  VC:  1-1-1  1-1  4  (2nd place)  /  USL D1:  12-9-6  37-20  45  (3rd place)

»  Whitecaps media release

[*]Montreal

»  VC:  3-0-0  4-1  9  (1st place)  /  USL D1:  17-7-3  36-15  58  (1st place)

»  Impact media release

[*]MatchNight!

HEAD-TO-HEAD IN THE VOYAGEURS CUP

[*]Results at Vancouver:

»  August 25, 2002 - Vancouver 0 Montreal 3

»  May 30, 2003 - Vancouver 0 Montreal 1

»  June 11, 2004 - Vancouver 0 Montreal 3

[*]»  Record at Vancouver: Vancouver 0-0-3 Montreal

»  Record overall: Vancouver 0-2-5 Montreal

Voyageurs Cup

Wow, Just two goals for the V-Cup goal scoring leader? Thought it would be higher than that with Toronto to beat on all the time.

It will be interesting to see what kind of team Montreal fields tonight - they've already won the cup and the league, so I think some second stringers might see some action.

Also worth noting that Vancouver hasn't lost a single game at home this year.

If Montreal actually plays their A squad, it could be the sole blemish on the Caps home record.

Wow, Just two goals for the V-Cup goal scoring leader? Thought it would be higher than that with Toronto to beat on all the time.

It will be interesting to see what kind of team Montreal fields tonight - they've already won the cup and the league, so I think some second stringers might see some action.

Also worth noting that Vancouver hasn't lost a single game at home this year.

If Montreal actually plays their A squad, it could be the sole blemish on the Caps home record.

Yeah, I'm recording it, but I missed the first 10 minutes of the pre-game show, and I've never recorded Whitecaps World of Soccer. Sorry.

quote:Originally posted by canadiankick97

Toronto to beat on eh? That's why all of the Voyageurs Cup games involving Toronto have been won by a single goal.

Maybe he meant that one would expect Toronto to get beat up on, given that they finished last in the league and gave up a lot of goals. Of course, in reality many games, including those against Montreal and Vancouver, were close (and usually not only on the scoreboard).

Regarding the "scenarios" I posted in the first post, I focussed only on Voyageurs Cup streaks to avoid getting carried away with all kinds of stats. But, indeed, as Johnnie Monster points out, Vancouver are undefeated at home this season. And now on the broadcast they pointed out that Vancouver have not beaten Montreal at home since 1996 — Montreal did not visit every year, but still, that's a surprising stat.

Starting lineups:

Montreal: G.Sutton, G.Gervais, M.Vincello, A.Braz, P.Leduc, D.DiPlacido, L.Lyssand, M.Fukasawa, M.Biello, E.Sebrango (Subs: A.Olivieri, A.Hainault, D.Fronimadis, A.Cann, M.Mert, J.Bailey, C.Gbeke)

Vancouver: J.Wicks, N.Dasovic, M.Watson, M.Nash, S.Kindel, A.Valente, G.Lyall, I.Fuller, K.Harmse, J.Gjertsen, J.Jordan (Subs: S.Djekanovic, L.DeSilva, J.Mayard, C.Corazzin, D.Morris, C.Franks, R.Trout)

The Whitecaps had pre-match trophy presentations, including the Golden Boot (a bronzed Domenic Mobilio soccer shoe) to Jason Jordan, "Unsung Hero" to Steve Kindel, and the Cascadia Cup presented by the SouthSiders. Radio commentator Peter Schaad mentioned that Montreal already clinched the Voyageurs Cup but that this match is still a Voyageurs Cup match — Schaad always seems to mention the Voyageurs Cup when relevant (he's been my favourite Canadian soccer broadcaster (along with Paul Dolan) even before I noticed this :)).

After 13 minutes it's 1-0 for Montreal - Sebrango 10'.

Truth be told, neither team look impressive in this match. Montreal looked quite average and beatable... but the Caps were not up to the task.

Shocker of the night: Montreal dives just like El Paso!

Very disappointing to see the league champs resort to these tactics.... especially in a mean-nothing game.

More disappointing to see the officials take the bait time and time again.

The game was completely garbage with Vancouver being the bigger garbage on the day. I brought 2 people to the game, ones first game since the NASL days the others first soccer game ever, and both will never be back.

I also don't understand all of the diving that went on by Montreal. It was a meaningless game, and a team as good as Montreal shouldn't need to resort to that style of play. No team should really.

quote:Originally posted by Johnnie Monster

Truth be told, neither team look impressive in this match. Montreal looked quite average and beatable... but the Caps were not up to the task.

Shocker of the night: Montreal dives just like El Paso!

Very disappointing to see the league champs resort to these tactics.... especially in a mean-nothing game.

More disappointing to see the officials take the bait time and time again.

The game might have been garbage, and maybe some of our guys might have dove, but one thing is for sure THE WHITECAPS FAILED TO SCORE!!! What were you guys hoping for a 0-0- draw? Diving or not it wouldn't have made a difference in the outcome of the game. After having watched the highlights, you're lucky you didn't go home to the tune of 3-0 defeat[:P]

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Impact

The game might have been garbage, and maybe some of our guys might have dove, but one thing is for sure THE WHITECAPS FAILED TO SCORE!!! What were you guys hoping for a 0-0- draw? Diving or not it wouldn't have made a difference in the outcome of the game. After having watched the highlights, you're lucky you didn't go home to the tune of 3-0 defeat[:P]

..and your point is?

Mr. Impact:

No, as crappy as the Caps were, I don't think it would have been 3-0.

Montreal did not look good at all. Aboslutely nothing in the way of offense past the first (and only) goal.

Instead of gloating over a mean-nothing game, can you tell me why Montreal was diving like limp fish? HArdly a "champion" performance.

If this is the best Canada has to offer, the country should be ashamed.

quote:Originally posted by Johnnie Monster

Mr. Impact:

No, as crappy as the Caps were, I don't think it would have been 3-0.

Montreal did not look good at all. Aboslutely nothing in the way of offense past the first (and only) goal.

Instead of gloating over a mean-nothing game, can you tell me why Montreal was diving like limp fish? HArdly a "champion" performance.

If this is the best Canada has to offer, the country should be ashamed.

Even more funny, the goal the Caps allowed would have been saved if our number one keeper were not injured. Not to mention the fact we were without a few players with injuries. I wonder how those two games between Vancouver and Montreal would have ended up had Vancouver had their number one keeper in the lineup.

Yeah, the gloating is pretty funny, especially over a poor played game like that.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

The... animosity?... between Montreal and Vancouver fans would make a final between their two teams even more interesting.

Not if its contrived. Natural rivalries is what I like but if its just manufactured for the sake of it, then I find it a real big turnoff. In truth, Geography makes it very difficult. Supporters group cant travel to each others stadium and that is a large part of what makes a rivalry. Another element that makes for a good rivalry is history, similar sized fan base and communication within groups. But if the media and most supporters don't speak the same language, then that a problem as far as building a dislike.

I always thought that the battle of Quebec was one big turn off for me. It was one of the best examples of a contrived rivalsy. It was all maufactured and created in media. The club owners milked it because it build hype and then the casual fans hoped on the bandwagon thinking: " gee isn't this fun". The goal of it all being to sell newspapers, sell tickets and sell beer. The fact remains that Habs supporters outnumbered Nordique supports by something like 10 to 1 in the province of quebec and when the Nords disappeared, many of their fans became habs supporters. What kind of rivalry is that? I am actually glad that that one is over.

The battle of Alberta looked more real to me. Less disparity in the numbers of fans, History in CFL, geography, and a well established rivalry in communities that extends beyond sport.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Not if its contrived. Natural rivalries is what I like but if its just manufactured for the sake of it, then I find it a real big turnoff.

I agree, but I don't see any question of that here. I'm just talking about a bunch of fans on the Internet having a go at each other (like in the few posts above), which they've been doing for a while now since their teams have been the best two teams in Canada and amongst the best in the league. I doubt anyone else cares, but it's still nice to see a bit of it.

If you want to see contrived, look at LA Galaxy vs. Chivas USA. Believe it or not, that "rivalry" is actually corporate sponsored.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

..and your point is?

My point is that You're making it sound like the caps lost cause Montreal was taking dives, where as Im saying, diving or not the Caps had no chance of winning cause they didnt score.

As far as not fielding you're best team, well the same could be said of the Impact, less we forget the Impact lost Sandro Grande, and Ali Gerba to Scandanavia.

Johnnie M I agree, the level of play has gone down in this league this year. Dont know if the current format which might involve more travelling is the cause. I remember watching a game between Montreal and Vancouver in early august 2004, and that was a beauty, end to end action and smart play by both teams. That being said I would love to see an all Canadian final. Now if you can only get that PIANO off Spunge Bob Lilleys' back[8D]

Archived