May 31th Rochester at Toronto [R]

Great comeback so far... but a little too late.

I have nothing against Some - I remember seeing him play for the Ottawa Wizards once. But what baffles me is this is a guy that is not sigend with the team. He doesn't practice with the team... he plays amateur soccer for a team in Otatwa I hear. And yet, he shows up on game day and gets to start ahead of WHO ARE SIGNED, guys who put the work in day in and day out. What kind of message is that?! If he is that good, sign him. No? I guess I don't get it.

Is Some the guy with the platinum blonde hair? He wasn't there on Saturday.

It is somewhat bush-league, to put it nicely, that you can play for a team that you aren't eligible for (which must be the case if you aren't signed for them, no?)

Anyway, I guess we can't complain about a lack of excitement at Lynx games anymore. 8 goals per game now. Now if we can just get a higher share of those goals than the opposition.....

quote:Originally posted by Polish_LYNX_Fan

5-3 final. We score 4 goals and tie. We score 3 goals and lose. What does this tell you.

That we've given up 9 goals in the past two games and miss Joe & Andres pretty badly.

Are we officially eliminated from the playoffs yet?

Result of the Tuesday May 31st, 2005 USL game between Toronto Lynx and Rochester Raging Rhinos played at Centennial Stadium in Etobicoke at 11:00am.

3 min...Rhinos Frank Sanfillippo GOAL...Rhinos John Ball 30 yard free kick from left is over players heads in box. Rhinos Tenywa Bonseu gets kick on right but he slips and ball is knocked back to Sanfillippo who's shot from 10 yards on right is under bar in center of net.

11 min...Rhinos John Ball GOAL...Ball rushes up right to through ball and chips charging goalie Theo Zagar who'd come out to edge of box to challenge. Shot taken from 22 yards and is into right side of net. John Ball smartly didn't rush into box and waited for Zagar to slow up as he could only come to edge of his box.

13 min...Rhinos Kirk Wilson GOAL...Rhinos Jonathan Bolanas races down from left side and cross is stopped on foot by goalie. Wilson boots in 1 yarder as it trickles along goal line holding off defender.

16 min...Rhinos Kirk Wilson GOAL...Rhinos Bill Sedgewick charges in for 12 yard shot on left, goalie stops shot and Wilson charges in down center of field to boot in 7 yard rebound with no defenders around to stop him getting away shot.

27 min...Lynx sub...Richards Goddard replaces Theo Zagar in net.

39 min...Lynx Jamie Dodds GOAL...Dodds 22 yard free kick up middle over six player wall standing at 16 yard line and bends into right corner of net beyond flying goalie Dustin Hudock.

42 min...Rhinos Kirk Wilson GOAL...Rhinos John Ball receives a short pass-back on right and crosses ball over to center for charging Wilson for 12 yard shot into net.

47 min (1st half injury time)...Stoian Mladenov YELLOW card...Mladenov leaps for ball near center circle and swings around and his arm around getting hand to Lynx Sita-Taty Matondo who was also leaping for ball. Matondo lands face first in the turf. Mladenov was the first to signal for the trainer. Matondo is down and needs to be taken away by stretcher which includes Lynx Conrad Smith taking one corner. The Lynx actually play two men short but for only 30 seconds before halftime whistle.

71 min...Lynx Sean Fraser GOAL...Lynx David Simpson had run up field on right and crosses ball. Lynx Huffman Eja-Tabe touches short pass and Fraser rolls ball between goalie's legs from 6 yards.

80 min...Rhinos Stoian Mladenov RED card...Referee Tiger Liu gives Mladenov his second Yellow card for tugging on Lynx player near left edge of Rhinos box.

82 min...Lynx Urbain Some GOAL...Lynx Jamie Dodds 40 yard free kick from right has ball for Lynx Niels Dekker as ball first struck by goalie and it hops across box for Some too jab in shot from 1 yard into open net.

Final Score:.......Toronto Lynx.........3.............Rochester Raging Rhinos...........5..........

The weather was hot for this morning kick off and the players had problems with their footing for much of the first half.

The Lynx started off playing the same style as Sunday when they pressed for goals against Puerto Rico Islanders. This left the team with three defenders of Abraham Francois, Rick Titus, and Robin Hart. The problem is that the Rhinos stepped through the defenders beating any offside calls and were then in alone for a shot against Theo Zagar. The game was essentially over by the 16 minute mark with the Rhinos holding a 4-0 lead. Although the Lynx outplayed the Rhinos in the second half, it was because the Rhinos kept more men back to protect their lead and took their foot off the gas pedal. Lynx defender Abraham Francois was subbed for Jeremie Piette at the 32 minute mark. Rhinos substituted Scott Schweitzer with Stoian Mladenov at the same time after Schweitzer was injured. Rhinos sub Doug Miller injured himself in the pre-game warm-up and Scott Palguto took his place on the bench. He got into the game at the 78 minute mark.

Two ambulances pulled into the stadium and drove down the track to treat Sita-Taty Matundo. A Rogers Cable camerawoman let out a scream when she saw the injury on the replay, and many of us groaned when we crowded around their monitor to see just how serious the incident was.

This was only the second win of the year for the usual historical powerhouse Rochester team. Up to today, they were tied with the Lynx although they'd played three less games. The Lynx now haven't won in their nine games this season and looking at the standings, I wonder who they can beat?

Jamie Dodds continued to impress with another bending free kick finding the net from 22 yards. Let's hope the Lynx can keep him for the year without some 3rd division team from some second-rate European country or the Montreal Impact poaches him away. Lynx midfielder David DiPlacido was out of the line-up with an ankle injury.

Attendance was announced as 3988 for this special crowd celebrating the team's annual 'School Day'. All the seats were filled in the stand and the east side hill was rather full between the two goal lines. The problem with another result like this is that it makes it harder to 'sell' tickets for the next home game coming up this Saturday against Portland Timbers at 7:30pm. I'll be watching to see if the crowd sinks any lower than the 1200 for the Puerto Rico game last Saturday night (which was only the Lynx's second home game of the year).

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

How can you start a guy that hasn't practised with the team once (white hair guy)? Secondly, the Lynx defense is terrible. You have Robin (an ex-CPSL player) and some reject from Montreal playing in the back with Titus. Come on Busby, stop playing your boys from Ottawa if you want to win a game.

quote:Originally posted by big fan

How can you start a guy that hasn't practised with the team once (white hair guy)? Secondly, the Lynx defense is terrible. You have Robin (an ex-CPSL player) and some reject from Montreal playing in the back with Titus. Come on Busby, stop playing your boys from Ottawa if you want to win a game.

Not wanting to deflect from the crticism of the Lynx, which largely seems qualified, but Robin Hart is a very good player who played with the Aviators/EdmontonFC last year ( I saw him play and he I has some quality), and has played with the Trinidad and Tobago U20, Olympic and WCQ teams.

Archived