May 19 - U17 WCQ - Canada vs Haiti [R]

Elias

Good result by our boys. This will install a great amount of confidence into them as they go on to face Mexico in the third and final match of this round. After a slow start to this group stage, this could be the victory that sets them a light.

http://www.femexfut.org.mx/federacion/VistaNoticia.php?id=6236

The Bhoys of the Country of the Leaf of Maple 5-0 Haiti final

10' Selvin Shane Lammie - first annotation

30' Michael Pereira

45'(?) Jonathan Bourgault

68' Selvin Shane Lammie

77' Marcus Haber - closed the account and enlarged the scoreboard

Canadá

18.-Lorenzo Botella, 3.- Marinko Maras (13.-Alex Marello 60’), 4.- Kyle Oliveira ©, 5.- Nana Attakora, 6.- Jonathan Bourgault, 9.- Selvin Shane Lammie (10.-Josue Jaramillo 88’), 11.- A.J. Gray (15.- Curtis Ridley 77’), 12.- Michael Pereira, 14.- Marcus Haber, 16.- Joseph Awuakye, y 17.- Adam Lang.

051905canada1.jpg

Michael Pereira celebrates his annotation

051905canada2.jpg

Joseph Awaukye in action

*** Here's the free internet translation service - you gotta love'em

In the first encounter of the Day 2 of the Group B of the Round Eliminatoria Sub-17 Concacaf 2005, Canada was imposed with clarity on its similar one of Haiti for five goals to zero.

Canada showed superiority since the initial part. The first annotation was obtained by Selvin Shane Lammie al minute 10. The boys of the country of the leaf of maple, they continued with the offensive, to the 30 minutes Michael Pereira conquered the goal of the Haitian goalkeeper Peterson Occenat and in the last one played of the first time, Jonathan Bourgault noted the third goal of the Canadians.

For the complementary part, Canada rounded an excellent action. Al minute 68, again Selvin Shane Lammie sent the ball al fund of the goal for the annotation number four of the red. The opportunity to enlarge the scoreboard was for Marcus Haber, who to the 77 minutes closed the account.

Canada added its first three points of the tournament and will be rival of the Mexican assembly on Saturday 21 of May in the last encounter of the Premundial; while Haiti –already without aspirations to qualify- will face in the same date to Honduras.

*** Edit again: hey Massive Attack, you beat me to posting them and deleting them. :)

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

Looks like a full time result. Lammie (2), Perreira, Bourgault and Haber. Borella with the shutout.

Well now it does Ivan. It said (1T) beside the Cdn score when I posted it. Good result though.

Nice to see native Spanish speakers translating these stories.

Elias, I liked your post better, so I figured I'd delete my redundant post (even though I was quicker).

As for the result, I think its important that we didn't stop scoring goals in this match. We missed out of the last U-17 World's because of goal difference. This result basically ensures we have a chance to decide our own fate on Saturday, with a slight advantage.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Well now it does Ivan. It said (1T) beside the Cdn score when I posted it. Good result though.

Nice to see native Spanish speakers translating these stories.

Yeah, I saw the "1T" and I thought it was the first half too, but I didn't want to get too excited. That's why I wasn't sure, 50 could have been the weather report, or the attendance.

As for translating, it's understandable when it's some free web site, but when the official reports from FIFA look like that, there's something wrong.

Elias, don't get me wrong. Thanks for posting that report even with the dubious translation service. That's a live link I posted. Just went to 3-0 2T for Mexico.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Elias, don't get me wrong. Thanks for posting that report even with the dubious translation service. That's a live link I posted. Just went to 3-0 2T for Mexico.

It's all good. I just think the translations are funny.

If 3-0 holds up, Canada with a 1-0 win over Mexico would finish first, unless Honduras beats Haiti by 5, and then Canada would finish 2nd.

Basically, if Canada beats Mexico, we should finish at least 2nd, with a pretty good shot at first. If we lose or tie, we're pretty much guaranteed to finish 3rd. I think.

Day 1: Canada 0-2 Honduras and Mexico 2-0 Haiti

Day 2: Canada 5-0 Haiti and Mexico 3-0 Honduras

.......W L T P F A

Mexico 2 0 0 6 5 0 +5

Canada 1 1 0 3 5 2 +3

Hondur 1 1 0 3 2 3 -1

Haiti 0 2 0 0 0 7 -7

POTENTIAL OUTCOMES:

1. Canada loss or tie to Mexico - we are out

- unless somehow Haiti wins which I strongly doubt. A Canada tie and Haiti win Canada goes through. A Canada loss and Haiti win and there's a 3-way tie for 2nd which Canada would win on goal dif.

2. Canada & Honduras win = 3-way tie at 2-1

- so if Canada wins 1-0, Canada would be +4 (6-2), Mexico would be +4 (5-1). Canada beats Mexico on more goals scored. So Honduras going in at -1, they would need to score 5 goals to be tied with Canada +4 (7-3), and they would win on most goals. So Honduras needs to score 4 goals more than Canada does, and to win their match by 5. I'm pretty sure. I think.

TIE-BREAKERS:

1. Head-to-head between the two teams tied

2. Difference between goals for and against from ALL group matches

3. Most goals scored from all group matches

4. Drawing of lots

If they pull this off, it would be a legendary win and would more than make up for the choke in Victoria in 2003 (I know about the food poisoning, it was still a choke IMO).

Of course, being a Canadian team, it won't happen :(.

quote:Originally posted by Elias

TIE-BREAKERS:

1. Head-to-head between the two teams tied

2. Difference between goals for and against from ALL group matches

3. Most goals scored from all group matches

4. Drawing of lots

Possibly good for us, but these are stupid.

From CSA

Men's Junior (U-17) Team

Thursday, May 19, 2005

Canada Wins 5-0 Rout Against Haiti

Culiacán, Mexico – Canada's Men's Junior (U17) Team defeated Haiti 5-0 on Thursday in Group B CONCACAF U17 Final Round Qualifying in Culiacán, Mexico.

If the best word to describe Canada’s opening game in the U17 CONCACAF Qualifying Final Round was nervous, the second match would probably be best described as confident.

Facing a game that it had to win in order to keep its dreams of Peru alive, Canada’s U17 National team rose to the occasion and outpaced and outworked a very athletic Haitian team this evening in the sweltering heat of Culiacán. In the end, the young Canucks found the back of the net five times to put themselves in the hunt for a place in the World Championships in Peru later this year.

Shane Lammie (Toronto, ON) scored a goal on either side of half while midfielders Michael Pereira (London, ON) and Jonathan Beaulieu-Bourgault (Ile Bizard, QC) each contributed with a goal in the first half. Lammie’s strike partner, Marcus Haber (Vancouver, BC), grabbed the fifth of the evening.

Canada’s five goals are the most scored by an U17 Canadian team in competition since 1999 when Canada defeated Trinidad and Tobago 6-0 in San Salvador.

From the opening whistle Canada appeared to be a far different team from the one that had lost to Honduras forty-eight hours before and in the 10th minute, Lammie started things rolling. A superb ball from Beaulieu-Bourgault in the middle of the field found a streaking AJ Gray (Brampton, ON) on the right flank. Gray coaxed his defender toward him then exploded by him and whipped a teasing ball through the Haitian area. Lammie, unmarked at the far end of the six-yard box, easily side-footed his volley into the roof of the net for the opener and Canada’s first of the tournament.

Twenty minutes later, Canada would stretch its lead to two. An errand clearance from a Haitian defender skidded toward the corner. Lammie was fastest to react and served a delicate ball to the left corner of the area for a supporting Pereira. Pereira, cool as you like, side-footed a shot into the upper right corner and Canada now seemed primed for the occasion.

Then, just before the half time whistle, Beaulieu-Bourgault made it three when he latched onto a clearance from the Haitian defense 30 yards from goal and unleashed a rocket that sailed inches above the ground until it came to rest in the back of the Haitian net.

Beaulieu-Bourgault was not done there however. In the 68th minute the dynamic midfielder skipped by two defenders at the top of the box, and then undressed another two before shooting toward goal. The Haitian keeper made a superb block to deny the goal but could do very little to prevent Lammie from tapping in his second of the contest.

Not to be outdone, Haber, who had worked tirelessly up front, chipped in five minutes later. Again, AJ Gray had maneuvered around the Haitian left back and swung a deep ball for second-half substitute Alex Marrello (Burnaby, BC). Marrello cushioned his header back for Beaulieu-Bourgault who appeared to have screwed his shot wide but Haber delicately chipped the shot-turned-pass into the upper left corner for Canada’s fifth.

“We looked far more comfortable this evening and I am proud of the way the boys rose to the challenge,” said Canadian Head Coach Stephen Hart. “Tonight we played with consistency and when the chances presented themselves, we took them extremely well which was something we failed to do against Honduras.”

“Now our tournament comes down to the match against Mexico, which in my opinion is a tremendously talented team. Mexico is perhaps the benchmark in CONCACAF so it is fitting that we will have to get a result from them to proceed.”

Canada will play Mexico on Saturday, May 21, at 20:30 local time.

Thursday, May 19, 2005 - CONCACAF U17 Final Round Qualification – Group B

Estadio Carlos Gonzalez y Gonzalez - Culiacán, Sinaloa, Mexico

CANADA – 5 (3)

HAITI – 0 (0)

Goals : CANADA – Lammie 10’, 68’; Pereira 31’; Beaulieu-Bourgault 45+; Haber 73’

Cautions: CANADA – Gray 19’, Ridley 85’; HAITI – Renaud 63’

CANADA: 3–MARAS Marinko (13–MARRELLO Alex 64’); 4–OLIVEIRA Kyle (Capt.); 5–ATTAKORA Nana; 6–BEAULIEU-BOURGAULT Jonathan (15–RIDLEY Curtis 73’); 9–LAMMIE Shane (10–JARAMILLO Josue 78’); 11–GRAY Andrew; 12–PEREIRA Michael; 14–HABER Marcus; 16–AWUAKYE Joseph; 17–LANG Adam; 22–BORELLA Lorenzo

Head Coach: HART Stephen

Subs not used: 1–STREET Adam (injured); 2–KEREK Robert; 7–MAYARD Rudolph; 8–AYRE Keegan

HAITI: 1–OCCENAT Peterson; 2–EXUME Symson; 3–BARTHELEMY Philippe; 4–SIRIN Vaniel; 5–MADDY Adiet; 6–EVINS Clervilus; 7–JEAN-BAPTISTE Marc-Andre; 8–CAPRICE Djery Djenad; 9–EXANTUS Johnny; 10–RENAUD Brisly; 11–NORDE Sony; 12–ESPERA Peterson; 13–JULMISTE Harold; 14–PHILISTIN Vinsly; 15–ROBENSON Alfred; 16–BOURDEAU Jeff; 18–JEAN-PIERRE Josue; 19–THEODORE Richecarde

Head Coach: LABZY Jean-Yves

Going to be difficult though. Honduras is playing against a team that has nothing to play for, whereas Mexico could still be eliminated by goal differential (albeit unlikely). Ironic that (should it happen) a win by Canada & a win by Honduras will create a 3-way tie again for the first place. Its what happened last time for Canada with Mexico & Costa Rica back in 2003.

Good to see a nice 5-0 shellacking though, even at the U17 level. Or rather, good to hear of it.

What an excellent result. I'm so very proud of these Canadian boys, we are moving in the right direction, it's getting obvious.

I say screw the WC team, focus all of our money, all of our effort into the Youth game...We need to stop dwelling on the past, We need to look towoards the future.

GO CANADA!!!

Archived