Ebert & Roeper movie critics...

Rocket Robin

So they both voted 'thumbs down' for the soccer themed movie "The Game Of Their Lives".

http://tvplex.go.com/buenavista/ebertandroeper/050425.html

Anyone seen that movie? The US World Cup game in 1950 against England. It took the younger guy Roeper to answer Ebert's "Why do we only see the action in the US end?" with "Well maybe that's where the whole game was played!"

Later on in the show Roger Ebert admits his love for basketball which reminded me that he was there in the (front row actually) glory days of the Jordan era Bulls. Also once his film of the year was 'Hoop Dreams'.

Remember actor Gavin Rossdale (English captain) was the singer of the group 'Bush' and is married to Gwen Stefani.

Get ready for their review of the Will Ferrel movie "Armed & Dangerous" about a father/coach of his kid's soccer team within the next few weeks.

Wanna read more reviews of this film? Check this site, Rotten Tomatoes, which collects newspaper and internet reviews from across North America (e.g. Washington Post, LA Times, Variety, Roger Ebert, Globe & Mail, etc.). On this site, 60% positive reviews get you an overall "fresh" tomato. So far, 28 reviews of The Game of Their Lives: 8 positive, 20 negative. Hence, a rotten tomato for TGOTL.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/game_of_their_lives/

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

At lot of people on Big Soccer have apparently changed their views on the movie.

Things do change once the finished product comes out.

What professional reviewers would be seeing is the finished product (or damn close to it).

Doesn't bode well for this movie.

I think Ebert's lost the plot in the last five years. Not sure what happened, but he'll forgive crap for being crap because it wasn't trying to be anything more than crap. And yet harp on some detail he can't get over in a better film and pan it. So far no I trust too much has even reviewed GOTL. But I'll probably go see it if I hits these parts. It has to be better than Hotshot ;)

The Will Farrell movie is Kicking & Screaming. Not to be confused with Kicking and Screaming, the (I'm assuming) superior movie from 95 with Catherine Keener.

Don't you hate it when a big budget movie comes along with the same title of something good and then renders any inquiries about the smaller movie moot. Like say you want to rent Bad Boys, the very, very good teen prison drama with Sean Penn and Esai Morales, try explaining that you don't want the Will Smith movie, you want something else, but with the same title. I usually don't get very far.

cheers,

matthew

They gave Two thumbs up for "Kicking & Screaming", the new Will Ferrell movie.

Their movie reviews are posted to that site with voice clips by the end of the week from what I remember.

Will Ferrell hires real life Mike Ditka (ex-Chicago Bears football coach)to be his assistant as he tries to beat his father's (Robert Duvall) soccer team.

R & R loved Will Ferrell, thought that Ditka should get his own sitcom, and that Duvall was too old for us to believe he could beat his son at tetherball etc.

quote:Originally posted by matthew

The Will Farrell movie is Kicking & Screaming. Not to be confused with Kicking and Screaming, the (I'm assuming) superior movie from 95 with Catherine Keener.

Catherine Keener wasn't in Kicking and Screaming. It starred Eric Stoltz and Parker Posey. Maybe you were thinking of Walking and Talking, which was a better movie, by the way.

quote:Originally posted by Rivaldo

Catherine Keener wasn't in Kicking and Screaming. It starred Eric Stoltz and Parker Posey. Maybe you were thinking of Walking and Talking, which was a better movie, by the way.

Yr right Rivaldo, though I wasn't thinking of Walking and Talking. Catherine Kellner was in Kicking and Screaming, not Catherine Keener. I have no idea what I was thinking. Yeah Posey starred and I have no idea why I didn't mention her.

Anyway anyone ever seen the other Game of Their Lives. The 2002 English documentary about the North Koreans run in the 66 World Cup? It was in the news when we were in the UK for the Scotland match (I think they had brought the Koreans back to one of the stadiums they had played in in England) and it looked really good. But I've never seen it.

cheers,

matthew

Archived