Contact: Barrie White, COO, Edmonton Interdistrict Youth Soccer Association

Primary Phone: 780-462-6826

Secondary Phone: 780-462-3537 ext.

E-mail: exdir@eiysa.com

Date issued: April 6, 2005

Time in: 19:23 e

Attention: Sports Editor

Edmonton Enters teams in Super Y Soccer League

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edmonton, Alberta, April 6 /PR Direct/ - SUPER Y LEAGUE

http://supery.uslsoccer.com

Edmonton enters 12 teams in the Super Y League, commencing with the 2005 season. Teams will be represented in the Boys and Girls categories, in U-13, U-15 and U-17 age groups. The teams will compete against other Super Y teams from Calgary, British Columbia and Washington State. The season runs from May to October, with qualifying teams advancing to the North American Championships, held in Tampa, Florida.

Two new Clubs', under the auspices of the Edmonton Interdistrict Youth Soccer Association (EIYSA), have been formed to accommodate these teams; Edmonton Force Soccer Club and Edmonton Clippers Soccer Club. These clubs' will operate totally independent of other EIYSA member club's. Each club will have 6 teams (a boys and girls team in each age).The Edmonton Force will operate from the "north" side of the North Saskatchewan river, and the Edmonton Clippers will operate from the south side. 75% of the players on each team will come from within their defined boundary Players selected for the Super Y League teams will also participate for any sanctioned club, district or provincial program. No restrictions will be in place. The teams will not be eligible to challenge for any local, district or provincial competition

Tryouts for these teams commence April 16/17, 2005. Information regarding tryouts is found on the EIYSA web site, www.eiysa.com

BACKGROUND

USL (United Soccer Leagues) is the largest organization of soccer leagues in North America. USL is dedicated to growing the sport at the grassroots level across the U.S. and Canada. USL is a leader in player development and is dedicated to growing the game in North America. USL operates the USL First Division, USL Second Division, USL Premier Development League (PDL), North American U23 amateur league, USL W-League (Women's amateur) and the USL Super Y League.

SUPER Y LEAGUE

The Super Y league is a professionalized system developing elite youth players in North America. The league is designed for talented youth players aspiring to National Programs, Post Secondary, Professional or International Careers. The Super Y League is organized into several regional divisions. Each regional division develops its own schedule with league winners advancing to the Super Y North American Finals in Tampa, Florida each November.

The Super Y league is aimed at the top percentile of players in North America. Currently, from Canada, there are teams from BC, Ontario, Quebec, and the Maritimes which participate in the program. Super Y provides an opportunity for players to advance to another level of competition beyond local league competition without affecting their regular team commitments. Players participating in Super Y league games can expected to be scouted by provincial, national, and collegiate associates.

Super Y has over 300 club's participating in the program, mostly within the U.S.A. The majority of these club teams are sponsored by Professional Club's. The establishment of Super Y teams in Edmonton, in the youth categories, is the first step towards eventually developing a sustainable professional team in our area, which can be supported primarily by local talent, and the team in turn supporting soccer in the Edmonton area.

- END PRESS RELEASE - 4/6/2005

CO: Edmonton Interdistrict Youth Soccer Association

ST: AB

IN: SPORTS

PRD: 200504060014

I'm not sure what you mean when you ask, "Which teams for U-15 and U-17?"

The Clippers will have U13, U15, and U17 boys and girls teams, as will the Force (for a total of 12).

Calgary has the same setup with FC Calgary and the Wildfire Juniors.

• 1 year later...

I think you are celebrating a year too late; nothing to cheer about this year. The two big cities in Alberta each had numerous clubs in the Super Y league last season (2005) but were denied entry of teams for this (2006) season this past spring. There is some dialogue on this at the Calgary Soccer Community Forum, check the Super Y League section.

http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=353&mforum=calgarysoccer

Thanks Ed.

Any legal action from the Super Y clubs? It seems ridiculous the ASA would kill the Super Y system, just so it can setup its own youth league to make money. How's the USL going to feel next time someone in Alberta approaches them for a franchise (W-League, PDL or Div2-1).

I revived the thread because I stumbled across the FC Calgary link and wasn't sure if I'd completely missed the discussion. How a provincial association can do what the ASA did and get away without scrutiny is beyond belief.

The four Alberta teams put in a tremendous amunt of work and resources to get the Super Y off the ground (with ASA blessing) and for the ASA to not sanction them for the second year for questionable purposes is total bulls****.

The Super Y adds another level of development at the youth level which can only benefit Canadian soccer. If the ASA wants to kill it so it has no competition to its future youth league, then something is really wrong with soccer out west.

quote:Originally posted by River City

I revived the thread because I stumbled across the FC Calgary link and wasn't sure if I'd completely missed the discussion. How a provincial association can do what the ASA did and get away without scrutiny is beyond belief.

The four Alberta teams put in a tremendous amunt of work and resources to get the Super Y off the ground (with ASA blessing) and for the ASA to not sanction them for the second year for questionable purposes is total bulls****.

The Super Y adds another level of development at the youth level which can only benefit Canadian soccer. If the ASA wants to kill it so it has no competition to its future youth league, then something is really wrong with soccer out west.

I was under the impression that the CMSA put the boots to the program in Calgary and the ASA upheld that decision. It was not 'killed' by the ASA per se. Don't know the story for the Edmonton club(s).

According to the email from Matt Wiebe of the USL to Gene Loga of the ASA;

"It is also perceived that there is a direct conflict of interest with the President of the Alberta Soccer Association, since he also serves as a board member with the Calgary Minor Soccer Association, which was the group that caused these issues."

and

"We are only to understand that it is the opinion of a few individuals in the ASA that the Super Y-League should not be a sanctioned league of the ASA."

So from my reading of the email, while the CMSA started the anti-Super Y campaign, the ASA could have still rescued it but chose not to. Again, I only learned of this on Wednesday, so I defer to those who know more about it.

Once again - every province, and every bloody district in this country is doing it's own thing with no mention of preference, recommendation, nor requirement from the CSA. This is also what befalls coaching, and refereeing in this country. Forget a national league, the major issue is lack of joint structure/goals by the CSA.

As the governing body they have every right to state what is required by its members, and thus if not met/satisfied, replacement or removal.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

As the governing body they have every right to state what is required by its members, and thus if not met/satisfied, replacement or removal.

Canada is not a centralized unitary state. In a federal structure it is the member association representatives who ultimately get to elect the provincial association and CSA officeholders and you don't get ahead by rocking the boat and acting like an all powerful dictator. The national soccer association has direct jurisdiction only over the national teams and first division level pro teams like Toronto FC. What happens at a lower level than that is under the sole jurisdiction of the ten provincial associations and each can and does do its own thing where sanctioning super Y league is concerned.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

The national soccer association has direct jurisdiction only over the national teams and first division level pro teams like Toronto FC. What happens at a lower level than that is under the sole jurisdiction of the ten provincial associations and each can and does do its own thing where sanctioning super Y league is concerned.

Fair enough. But that is the issue isn't it? Each province is doing "it's own thing." There is no central focus point. The CSA should be running the provincial programs to insure unity across the nation. I never saw a successful worm dig in two directions at once to get himself into the soil.

Osieck, Bates, and Queiroz are all respected minds the world-over. They have all come to the same conclusion that the issue is the lack of involvement/guidance the CSA offers the provincial programs in determining goals, and how those goals are achieved. (In Queiroz' case he studied the U.S. and came to the same conclusion as Osieck and Bates did about Canada.)

Fair enough. But that is the issue isn't it? Each province is doing "it's own thing." There is no central focus point. The CSA should be running the provincial programs to insure unity across the nation....

You can keep repeating that until you are blue in the face but that is the nature of Canada. We have a federal system with arguably the weakest level of central authority in the world for a UN member state. At least one province regards itself as a nation in its own right so that is unlikely to ever change IMO. There is a reason why Holger's blueprint only went as far as regional training centres for identifying future national team propspects because that is as far as the CSA jurisdiction goes.

People seem to forget that the CSA is an association of independent provincial associations, most of which came into existence before the creation of the Dominion of Canada Football Association in 1912, the predecessor of the modern CSA. The bulk of the Board of Directors of the CSA comprises the presidents of the provincial associations and it is this board that sets policy and direction for the CSA. See http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/history/index.asp?sub2=13 it makes interesting reading.

I happen to think that we need an independent national governing body with a board directly elected by registered players and officials rather than the exceedingly indirect and hierarchical democratic process that now exists, but that is an entirely different topic for discussion.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

I happen to think that we need an independent national governing body with a board directly elected by registered players and officials rather than the exceedingly indirect and hierarchical democratic process that now exists, but that is an entirely different topic for discussion.

I couldn't agree with you more Richard.

quote:Originally posted by River City

I couldn't agree with you more Richard.

Canada is a federation of provinces and territories that functions reasonably well despite the odd hiccup. We elect provincial representatives but we also directly elect our federal members of parliament, we don't leave it to our provincial representatives to nominate our federal representatives from within their own ranks. Why then do we do it that way with our soccer governing bodies? Perhaps we need a grassroots revolution to get things changed :-)

quote:Originally posted by Richard

(...)

we don't leave it to our provincial representatives to nominate our federal representatives from within their own ranks. Why then do we do it that way with our soccer governing bodies? Perhaps we need a grassroots revolution to get things changed.

Yes. Yes. and Yes, Richard. Excellent points.

Re: BringBTB...You keep making my point. The CSA's authority does not reach far enough. That is the issue. Because their authority is so weak, the provinces/district associations are left to their own devices.

Re: BringBTB...You keep making my point. The CSA's authority does not reach far enough. That is the issue. Because their authority is so weak, the provinces/district associations are left to their own devices.

My point is that it isn't going to change so constantly harping on about it as if the CSA can actually do stuff that is outside their jurisdiction seems completely pointless to me. Within a confederation like Canada it is normal for the provinces and districts to enjoy a high level of autonomy. That is one of the things that makes Canada Canada. Although Richard's idea is a nice thought and one I would agree with in an ideal world there is no way the entrenched bureacrats will ever be shifted IMO because the vast majority of registrants and participants are completely apathetic about this kind of stuff. It isn't the most patriotic thing to say but being part of the American system with the USL and MLS is the best way to go at the genuinely pro level (i.e. not C[P]SL) as they have a much larger population and are better able to get the national association level stuff off the ground because of that.

Heh heh, I never suggested my ideas about a directly elected CSA board were practical in terms of implementation but one can dream can't one? Anyway, I agree with you in that the CSA's powers are really limited and they are beholden to the provincial associations.

I have read people opining that the Australians manage to do things in the realm of soccer that Canada doesn't. Perhaps they do in some regards, perhaps in others they are just different. As far as I am aware, New Zealand hasn't tried to set up its own indpendent domestic professional league, rather it has entered at least one team in the Australian A-League. I suggest Canada's relationship with the USA in this regard is not dissimilar to New Zealand's relationship with Australia.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived