CSL historians...

Guest HamiltonSteelers

Guest HamiltonSteelers

I was just thinking about the CSL's last ditch effort to survive by rumoured expansion and I remember that there was a group looking to put a team in Coquitlam, BC. Does anyone remember who this group was, what they were to be named or where they were to play?

Secondly, does anyone happen to have any tapes of CSL games... in particular, the finals where my beloved perennial runners-up Steelers competed in. Or has anyone ever contacted TSN in an effort to get access to their archives and what entails such a task (money, effort, time).

Lastly, does anyone know what became of Alex Bunbury? I kinda lost track of him after Maritimo. Is he still involved with the game?

quote:Originally posted by HamiltonSteelers

I was just thinking about the CSL's last ditch effort to survive by rumoured expansion and I remember that there was a group looking to put a team in Coquitlam, BC. Does anyone remember who this group was, what they were to be named or where they were to play?

Secondly, does anyone happen to have any tapes of CSL games... in particular, the finals where my beloved perennial runners-up Steelers competed in. Or has anyone ever contacted TSN in an effort to get access to their archives and what entails such a task (money, effort, time).

Lastly, does anyone know what became of Alex Bunbury? I kinda lost track of him after Maritimo. Is he still involved with the game?

I'm pretty sure I have some CSL tapes stashed away somewhere. It was the 89 final where Vancouver hammered Hamilton 6-1. I may also have a regular season game between the two teams.

One of the best games I ever saw was a nil-nil between Hamilton and Vancouver. It was at Swangard, and I've never seen anything like it...a half-time spontaneous standing ovation. It went on even after the players were in the tunnel. I remember Bob Lenarduzzi saying he never saw anything like it in his career either.

The two sides exchanged one chance after another and the goalkeeping was great. (Dolan and Haberman) Wide open, neat and tidy football. I miss those days...and even guys who played back then say "we didn't really know how good we had it" and "if it (the CSL) could have just remained stable...who knows."

You might actually be able to get some footage from TSN. The first final in 87 was Calgary-Hamilton.

A good summary of his career and work with the National team can be see in the following passage from:

http://www.mlsnet.com/content/99/weekly0615.html

"CANADIAN NATIONAL TEAM FORWARD ALEX BUNBURY ALLOCATED TO KANSAS CITY:

Bunbury

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Major League Soccer announced today the signing of veteran Canadian National Team forward Alex Bunbury. Bunbury, who will turn 32 on Wednesday, will join the Kansas City Wizards early next week and could see his first MLS action Saturday, June 26, when Bob Gansler's club visits D.C. United. . The six-foot-one, 187-pound Bunbury has 65 National Team appearances for Canada and ranks third in career International goals with 17. He has played with FC Maritimo (Portugal's First Division) since 1993, and has scored 60 goals in over 160 games, making him Maritimo's all-time leading scorer and leading the club to two UEFA Cup qualifications.

"Everywhere Alex (Bunbury) has gone, he has achieved success," Wizards General Manager Doug Newman said. "He has always made his teams better and we look forward for him to contribute the same here. One tremendous attribute is the way he adapts to the game of soccer. In Canada, they play a very direct and physical style, while in Portugal the players have great finesse. Alex has proven that he can excel under both styles."

Bunbury, who was born in Plaisance, Guyana, and lists his hometown as Montreal, currently resides in Prior Lake, Minnesota with his wife Kristi and three children. He made his Canadian National Team debut on August 24, 1986 in a 1-0 victory over Singapore. He scored his first National Team goal six days later in a 4-0 win over Indonesia to capture the Singapore Merlion Cup.

The athletic forward played in all 14 World Cup qualifying games in 1992 and 1993, and tallied a hat trick against Bermuda on November 15, 1992 to become the first Canadian player register a three goals in a World Cup qualifying match. He also made three appearances with Canada in the 1993 Gold Cup, scoring a goal. Bunbury was named 1993 and 1995 Canadian Player of the Year and Portugal's Best Foreign Player during the 1994-95 season. He helped lead Maritimo to a 1995 Portuguese Cup final appearance and scored the game-winning goal in a 1-0 semifinal win over F.C. Porto. During the 1999 season, Bunbury finished tied for fourth in Portuguese First Division scoring with 15 goals and leading Maritimo in every offensive category. He is Maritmo's all-time leading scorer with 59 goals in 165 games during his six seasons in Portugual.

Bunbury fills the Wizards fourth and final international player spot, left vacated with the release of Refik Sabanadzovic.

"We are looking forward to incorporating Alex Bunbury into our team," Wizards Head Coach Bob Gansler said. "He is an excellent complement to the squad we already have and will do extremely well in the system we use. What makes him exceptional is how he creates things on his own with his athleticism. He is a good combination player who will make his teammates better."

Guest HamiltonSteelers
quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

I'm pretty sure I have some CSL tapes stashed away somewhere. It was the 89 final where Vancouver hammered Hamilton 6-1. I may also have a regular season game between the two teams.

One of the best games I ever saw was a nil-nil between Hamilton and Vancouver. It was at Swangard, and I've never seen anything like it...a half-time spontaneous standing ovation. It went on even after the players were in the tunnel. I remember Bob Lenarduzzi saying he never saw anything like it in his career either.

The two sides exchanged one chance after another and the goalkeeping was great. (Dolan and Haberman) Wide open, neat and tidy football. I miss those days...and even guys who played back then say "we didn't really know how good we had it" and "if it (the CSL) could have just remained stable...who knows."

You might actually be able to get some footage from TSN. The first final in 87 was Calgary-Hamilton.

I'm well aware how often the Steelers made the finals and never won. Vancouver, in my eyes, will always be the arch nemesis... mainly because they were the best team in the league (and I'm not afraid to admit that). One title, just one... argh!

I figure I'll have to hit up TSN and see what I can do to get an old match or two from them. I just want a piece of history for myself.

The standing ovation match, was that broadcasted?

I'm well aware how often the Steelers made the finals and never won. Vancouver, in my eyes, will always be the arch nemesis... mainly because they were the best team in the league (and I'm not afraid to admit that). One title, just one... argh!

I figure I'll have to hit up TSN and see what I can do to get an old match or two from them. I just want a piece of history for myself.

The standing ovation match, was that broadcasted?

Sorry HS, I don't think it was. Great days though! IF I dig up the final, I'll get your e-mail and make a copy for you!

The Steelers were always a class act. They and the Toronto Blizzard were always powerhouses, but they just couldn't beat Vancouver, even though they were probably just as good or better at times.

Speaking of Alex, he was never considered the best forward in the CSL by a longshot, so it's truly tremendous that he went on to have the incredible career both in Portugal and for Canada.

Bunbury is probably my all-time favourite striker for Canada. Constantly took a pounding and despite being one of the leading scorers in Portugal (Maritimo's all-time leading scorer), he always answered Canada's call and gave a 110%.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

Sorry HS, I don't think it was. Great days though! IF I dig up the final, I'll get your e-mail and make a copy for you!

I approached TSN a number of years back trying to obtain copies of soccer games from the past. Unfortunately, at the end of each year they destroy their tapes due to the space it takes up. Tragic really, when a part of soccer and all other sports history is lost forever.

Guest HamiltonSteelers

I'm not gonna lie, I was 12 years old in the peak of the Steelers era. I lived a few blocks from the stadium, and I went to as many games as I could. They were a great side. I always regarded Bunbury as one of the premier strikers on the planet (did I mention I was 12) but knew his skills were beyond the CSL. I was thrilled to hear he could have a successful career and tried following it in the pages of various european publications.

Damn, there was a rediculous amount of talent in the league then. I'm sure we can have it again.

Boomer, I would love to get a copy and would be greatly appreciated.

Robert, I have a friend at TSN and just inquired about that... I guess I'm not going to be thrilled with what I hear back. Any speculation that the CSA would have copies of these matches?

Just another memory to add...I was a just starting out my soccer career, living in Aylmer, Quebec...and I snuck into a lot of the National Capital Pioneer games being played at the old Aydelu Field...I believe Lyndon was playing for them at the time...also snck into their exhibition match against Sheffield Wednesday (I believe)...that summer was the reason why I grew to love the game and why I still play now...at that time I didn't have dreams of playing for the provincial team, national team, University of whatever - I just wanted to play like the big boys...that is what we are missing now...I also remember watching a lot of games on TV...the one where Justin Fashunu walked up to the press box to threaten the owner of the Steelers (I think) was classic...I also remember watching a young Pesch destroy Ottawa...memories!

Long-time Vancouver soccer coach Mike Bernardis was the frontman. I'm not sure how much financial backing he had. The team was to play out of Coquitlam Town Centre which is generally regarded as the next best soccer stadium in Vancouver after Swangard. I can't recall if a team name was ever put forward. The whole thing got some initial press, but went nowhere.

Bernardis was a fierce critic of the 86ers and Bob Lenarduzzi. I've got at least one bitter rant of his from an old soccer publication, in which he blames the problems of Canadian soccer on the 86ers leaving the CSL. I remember him in the early 90s saying that he would start a new team in Coquiltam in a heartbeat if the 86ers ever folded. But I have the feeling he was speaking more from passion than practical reality.

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

Anybody up for a CSL XI?

Good idea. For sure Domo and Catliff from Vancouver up front, and Victoria Vistas (and former Aston Villa Stalwart) Allan Evans on the back line. (I'd have to refer to some old programs to figure out the rest)

Oh, and I have three taped games in the archives. The Vancouver-Hamilton cup final, Victoria Vistas first ever game (they played Winnipeg in a dull 0-0 game) and a Vancouver-Calgary game at Swangard that drew a great crowd and finished 3-1 sixers. If I can transfer them to DVD, I'll post.

I also found some programs from seasons 2 and 3. I have every Vancouver home game and all their road game programs that the PR staff graciously sent me. Is that ever wild to look back on now.

Can anyone create torrents of any CSL matches? Alternately, I'm interested in DVD copies. Actually, if you can create DVDs then you can create torrents as well; the tricky part is in the digitalization because of the equipment required, but once it's digital it's easy to create DVDs, torrents, whatever.

Guest HamiltonSteelers

Would anyone happen to have a logo of the Nat'l Capital Pioneers? I always looked back at that name in mystery as I just figured they were always the Intrepid.

Ed Heck had some good years in Ottawa...what about Gerry Gray (former MNT midfielder)...what about the Fijian Flash...ah there are so many former players that could be on that list...don't forget Graham Leggatt and Vic Rauter - I still remember Rauter saying Mobilllliooooo! - The best thing about the team in Ottawa was that is was very close to the community...it had a youth select team...the team used to go around hammering many men's teams in the area and some of the youth players actually moved up to the big team or got noticed and wend down south on scholarships...the team became the focal point for soccer in the whole capital region...and unlike the Wizards of the CPSL - the crowds were very good and the team was well supported...this had alot to do with the fact that the Senators were not around at that time...does anyone remember watching any of the North York games live or on TV...I always wondered where they played their home gaems...it looked like there was a giant billboard about 5 stories high surrounding the whole sideline of the whole field...I hated the fact that all TSN every showed were the 86ers and the Steelers...the end soon came after the franchise out east was born...well the actual end came because they MNT did not make Italia 90...the CSL was born staright out of the great accomplishments of the MNT of 86 and their world cup appearance much like MLS...but then the US continued to make subsequent world cup while we haven't been back...imagine if we made Italia 90?...the CSL would still be around

The best game played was between the Vancouver 86'ers (CSL Champs) and the Maryland Bays,who at the time were considered the American Champs. It was a fantastic game shown live on TSN, and the winner was to be considered the North American Champion.

It was end-to-end, and a brilliant match, with Vancouver prevailing 3-2.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

The best game played was between the Vancouver 86'ers (CSL Champs) and the Maryland Bays,who at the time were considered the American Champs. It was a fantastic game shown live on TSN, and the winner was to be considered the North American Champion.

Good shout on that...I was at that game. Completely forgot about the North American Championship.

I was such a CSL-aholic, I actually remember trying to watch the scrambled feed of TSN for the CSL match of the week. (Remember they weren't free back then) You could still hear the commentary just fine, but nothing but shapes and fuzz. I think the first ever game shown live was between Ottawa and Hamilton in Aylmer) It ended 0-0. The weather was pretty bad out east for the first part of that '87 season.

Guest HamiltonSteelers
quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

If memory serves, wasn't it called the "Pepsi Cup" or something like that.

Archived