Whitecaps to train in AM

RJB

The Whitecaps are planning on training in the morning this year, and I was curious as to what affect that will have on the type of players they can get. They aren't paid much more than $1000 a month, and this would really prevent them from getting a supplementary job. I know that Emilio Bottiglieri turned down a tryout for this very reason.

When they used to train in the evening it at least gave players an opportunity to make ends meat during the day.

It sounds like a case of the team thinking that it is bigger than it really is.

Thoughts?

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

i think it's fair to say that the a-league is a step up from div 2 scotland. he should reconsider.

My point exactly. Plus, if he only got offered $1,000 a month, obviously the Caps aren't really too worried if he shows up or not. Plus, to add further, there are plenty of jobs that start in the afternoon or evening if he's interested in playing.

Andrew, what are the facts about Emilio not staying with a Div 2 team in Scotland? Your post implies he's not good enough for that level. Could it be that they let him go because he refused their contract offer because it wasn't enough money.

RJB's comment about the effect of the training schedule and the low level contracts may have a negative effect on the calibre of player the club can sign. All the old Whitecaps were there except for Nash and Chris Franks, and not a lot of potential new blood. There was lots of grey hair in attendance, Corazzin, Dasovic, Heald ( Watson was away) and other players who have been around for a long time (Lyall, Skinner, Kindel, Morris, Clark, Jordan, Xausa). There were only a couple of non BC players in attendance.

A few of the players can manage the AM training schedules because they work as head coaches for clubs, which keeps them busy in the evenings and on weekends. But, most of the players will find AM practices a challenge. They'll also find the low pay a problem unless they live with their parents.

A early morning practice would allow Whitecaps players to work the lunch hour at the local pub. Let's not knock tips. That cash- is easy to hide from the tax man.

You'd think that Saputo would get the lads jobs driving cheese trucks or working in the plant in the off season. A job like that for 7 months could probably earn the player as much as playing 5 months for the Impact.

quote:Originally posted by analyst

Andrew, what are the facts about Emilio not staying with a Div 2 team in Scotland? Your post implies he's not good enough for that level. Could it be that they let him go because he refused their contract offer because it wasn't enough money.

Maybe he was dumped because he didn't like morning practices.

Andrew

Your posts about Emilio in this thread have been disappointing. You implied earlier that he got turfed because he's not good enough. I know Emilio personally, thats why I asked if you know why he is no longer with a Div 2 team in Scotland, and your latest reply indicates that you don't know the reason for his departure. It appears you may have been unfair to him.

Andrew

Your posts about Emilio in this thread have been disappointing. You implied earlier that he got turfed because he's not good enough. I know Emilio personally, thats why I asked if you know why he is no longer with a Div 2 team in Scotland, and your latest reply indicates that you don't know the reason for his departure. It appears you may have been unfair to him.

I was being flip with my last response based on one of the themes in this thread. Maybe I should have included a :D so it would have been clear to you that it was an attempt at ha-ha.

Look, I offered an opinion that he should reconsider his options (meaning the offer from the Whitecaps). That's it. I didn't say he couldn't play at the Div. II level in Scotland or for Morton. I stated he was released, which he was.

If I offened your sensibilities or wasn't clear enough for you then I apologize. I wish him all the luck in the future, I just hope that future includes him finding a professional soccer home soon.

Andrew, thanks for the clarification.

Jordan, rumours aren't intended to be answered, so I won't reply.

But I recognize the skill in your psot. Sort of like a prosecutor asking a defendant why he did something heinous after commiting a crime, and the defendant only responding to the heinous part, and the jury assuming that the crime was committed in the first place.

Another favourite is a 18 year old explaining to his girlfriend's parents that she's only a little pregnant. As long as the baby turns out to be a footballer, making mega millions, thats okay.

quote:Originally posted by Andrew W

I think Emilio Bottiglieri should reconsider his options. After all he was turfed from a Div. II Scottish side.

His decision to turn down the offer was based on financial reasons. How can one survive on such a measly wage, with no opportunity to get a second job?

Andrew

John McCormack, the manager at Morton at the time, told Emilio that he wasn't his type of player. That's why he was let go.

Despite the fact he was in the top three on the squad for appearances.

And four games into the new season, McCormack was sacked.

Go Figure

quote:Originally posted by jordan

Analyst is there any truth in the match fixing rumours from last year, that surfaced which involved Emilio and another player?

Emilio was not involved in those rumours. The rumours circulated around guys like Weatherspon, and the Maisano's to my knowledge. And by the way, they were totally untrue.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Hey RJB, thanks for posting on this site. It's always nice to get some insite from people close to the players. Can you give us any info on what the future may hold for Emilio. We always support Canadian players on this site. I do hope Emilio can further his career.

It's bleak. Although things may change, it's over for him professionally. He can't afford to play for the Whitecaps, and has no intention of signing back in Britain. On the continent, I think he'd go, but there is no opportunity for it, so it's a moot point. He's still at Sapperton in the Vancouver Premier League, but he's got a good job that he really loves, so, that's that.

Archived