Saputo Group to take over FC Nantes??? [French]

Daniel

quote:Originally posted by canso

How would the Montreal Mob go over as a name for the MLS team?[8D]

Can we go back on the subject and the possible partnership between a canadian team (the IMPACT) and FC Nantes?

Or do you guys want to write another episode of the Sopranos???

Thanks Daniel for sharing this information with us. Do you know if there is any official confirmation from Saputo?

I think the Montreal Impact and FC Nantes would make a great partnership.

I f all holds true, it would give all players with a given potential a common place to go after the Impact. Further their development, and at the same time give those same players more playing time together. Meaning in the long run a bigger player pool for the CSA. I know I'm stating the obvisous, but trying to get this thread back on topic.

Saputo set up the Impact with the government because it was a sustainable way of doing things. The club is set up not as one person's plaything (the Saputo group had to sell when it was and look at Lamar Hunt's Wizards or the Florida MLS teams), but rather as a collectively-owned (we're all part owners technically), fiscally advantageous enterprise.

The club has all the money it needs through legitimate streams (sponsorships, notably) and much more stable ones than one man's pocket. The one thing we all kind of expect him to pony up for is a chunk of a stadium.

"The amalgamation fell through when the Saputos were horrified to learn of Joe Bananas’ Mafia background through Canadian and American dairy and law authorities."

So the only link, from a mob point of view, was a non-link. Kind of like if a drug dealer tries to sell you some drugs and you say "no thanks", then you'd be linked to a drug dealer. [:P]

Man I really don't want to do this, but:

quote:

Further evidence of influence of organized crime on the industry was developed in a New York State Department of Agriculture hearing on an application by Utica Cheese Incorporated of Oriskany for a license to manufacture mozzarella, which is a major ingredient of pizza. The hearing received testimony that Utica's owner, Saputo Cheese in Montreal, was in turn partly owned by Joseph Bonanno of Tucson, Ariz., head of the Bonanno organized-crime group of New York.

"Last month, Charles D. Breitel, former chief judge of the Court of Appeals of New York and special hearing officer for the license application, recommended that the department deny the Saputo request because of what he found to be the company's clandestine but continuing association with Mr. Bonanno.

"The department had introduced evidence to show that Mr. Bonanno had a hidden interest in the Saputo cheese business, and Mr. Breitel said a denial by Emanuele Saputo, the president, 'strains credibility.' The application was rejected on August 1 by J. Roger Barber, Commissioner of the Department of Agriculture and Markets

http://www.sdreader.com/php/m_potter.php3?mode=article&showpg=2&id=20030925

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now back to actual soccer talk. Nantes is a club with great history in France. Even though they are doing crap this year, they have won 8 titles, making them second only to St. Etienne.

I bet what you'll see is an agreement between the two clubs of some sort. Maybe you'll see some player movement. Young Nantes players playing in the A-league during the summer and maybe some Impact players moving into the Nantes program.

At the least watch for a Nantes/Impact game at McGill this summer.

Pure speculation. But isn't the internet great.

Archived