MLS Team In Montreal?

PSG

Not to start an MLS thing again.....but I think the single entity owners want to unload this money pit and are willing to take on any and all new investment to hopefully recover some of the millions that they've lost.

Hopefully I'm wrong and a strong league will survive (including Canadian team). But I really am skeptical about the recent moves and announcements concerning franchices. Yes there are strong teams but for some reason I have the feeling the money people behind this league wanna run.

Its like most things. The people with the money and the city that could support it are in two different places.

If Montreal did get an MLS team and drew well----my god----that would mean that Montreal would have to be considered for National teams games.

AND WE COULDN'T HAVE THAT.

I'm sure that, if a franchise were to operate in Montreal, it would be able to draw good crowds. The Impact seems to do quite well in its own right. I read with interest, the comments about national team games in Montreal. Why is it that the Canadian national side doesn't play more there? I'm guessing it's something to do with the politics of Quebec or there abouts?

quote:Originally posted by PSG

I'm sure that, if a franchise were to operate in Montreal, it would be able to draw good crowds. The Impact seems to do quite well in its own right. I read with interest, the comments about national team games in Montreal. Why is it that the Canadian national side doesn't play more there? I'm guessing it's something to do with the politics of Quebec or there abouts?

No, nothing to do with politics. Why don't they have more England matches in the southwest of England? The stadiums there are either in presently poor condition (CCR) or FieldTurf with barely coverable gridiron lines (Molson). They are a lot better than Toronto or area has to offer though. Expect to see a MNT friendly there in June (probably two friendlies in Eastern canada) to prepare for the Gold Cup in the US, depending on what type of surface they play the Gold Cup on. The other candidates for friendlies are Kingston Ontario's Queen's University field or Sherbrooke, or even Ottawa's Frank Clair Stadium if any of their Gold Cup matches are on FieldTurf. Many of the players on the MNT are from the Montreal area, and there is a national training centre their, so there is no aversion to Montreal, apart from what the usual jibbing colleagues from that area may infer.

Most of the matches have been out west because of better stadium (Commonwealth in Edmonton) or convenience (Vancouver is where the CSA operations for the National Teams are, and most of the palyers prefer playing there, and the weather is better, especially October to May). The CSA have gone out of their way to spread MNT (the few ones there are in Canada, that is) and other national team matches around the country... their having the two WCQ's in Kingston (halfway between Montreal and Toronto) in June shows this.

quote:Most of the matches have been out west because of better stadium (Commonwealth in Edmonton) or convenience (Vancouver is where the CSA operations for the National Teams are, and most of the palyers prefer playing there, and the weather is better, especially October to May). The CSA have gone out of their way to spread MNT (the few ones there are in Canada, that is) and other national team matches around the country... their having the two WCQ's in Kingston (halfway between Montreal and Toronto) in June shows this.

???? I don't agree with very much in this paragraph. Players may prefer playing in Vancouver when they are off-season and already in Canada but during WCQ I don't think many of our European players were very happy having to fly that far to play. Is playing all three matches against decent opposition in the west, two in Vancouver, going out of their way in spreading games across the country? The CSA only planned to give the east one early round match against a less than attractive opponent, the second one only played there because it was cheap once Belize declined to host their leg. As far as stadiums go, Commonwealth is the only stadium of its size capable of holding soccer matches without temporary turf laying but its seating capacity was not needed for this match. It can have a good grass surface when it is being properly maintained and the Eskimos are not tearing it up but this was not the case during WCQ and is seldom the case when we play on it. After Commonwealth the West does not have any stadium advantage over other parts of the country.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

???? I don't agree with very much in this paragraph. Players may prefer playing in Vancouver when they are off-season and already in Canada but during WCQ I don't think many of our European players were very happy having to fly that far to play. Is playing all three matches against decent opposition in the west, two in Vancouver, going out of their way in spreading games across the country? The CSA only planned to give the east one early round match against a less than attractive opponent, the second one only played there because it was cheap once Belize declined to host their leg. As far as stadiums go, Commonwealth is the only stadium of its size capable of holding soccer matches without temporary turf laying but its seating capacity was not needed for this match. It can have a good grass surface when it is being properly maintained and the Eskimos are not tearing it up but this was not the case during WCQ and is seldom the case when we play on it. After Commonwealth the West does not have any stadium advantage over other parts of the country.

I agree 100%.

Everyone is bias towards there own city anyways... everyone wants the MNT games played in their city (or near their cities)...

People from Montreal what the games in Montreal, saying they draw good crowds for their Impact games.

People from Toronto think it should be in Toronto

People from Edmonton want it in Edmonton because they have Canadas largest and best stadium

People in Vancouver want it because they think Canadian players want to play there, even though it is easily the worst location for the WCQ games, mainly because of the distance and the extended jetlag. Thus, they do have a stadium to play in.

People from the Eastcoast want the games played in the Eastcoast because its closest to Europe (where most of our players play)

Simple as that, the ongoing arguement of where the Mens National Team games are played will be going on forever. If you were to ask me, I'd say Toronto... because I'm bias, and I want to see the games live. I guess I'm a prime example of all of this :)

Actually, I think they should have a match here in Montreal because last time they was June 7, 1995 a friendly versus Turkey.

By the time they come this June it will make 10 years!!! Thank God.

Just for the record Montreal has never had a World Cup Qualifying match. NEVER! You could check for yourself.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/nationals/m_wc/mens_results.pdf

We got a total of 7 friendly matches from 1975 - 1995. A decent avarage of That is an average of 1 friendly about every 3 years.

But since 1995 it has been down hill.

Hopefully they do make it, as we are long over due!

Although it would be convenient for me to have every game played in Ottawa, I think the games should be spread throughout the country. I don't think any claim can be made that the CSA did this in the recent WCQ. In a three home game series one game should be played in the west, one in central Canada and one in the east. My first priority would be to put games in the locations where we are most likely to win. However, I think it is still possible to give games to different cities and regions. At least one time in a 6 game series a home game will be preceeded by an away game in North America and this is the game that should be played in the west to avoid jet lag problems. As far as stadiums go no region has an advantage because the situation in every region is terrible. Commonwealth is great but too big for most of our MNT events and rarely feels compelled to provide a field in great condition for soccer. Other stadiums are either very small, in bad condition or have Field Turf. Given this situation I don't see any sensible reason why all of our games were in the west and two of them in Vancouver. There is no climate advantage to playing in Vancouver in the summer. The one thing I agree with in beaches post is that it was probably due to Yallop moving to Vancouver and setting up the national team programs there particularly since the B-team friendlies were also in BC. If this is indeed true (and I would certainly like the CSA questioned about this) both the players and fans (in the whole country) are being sacrificed for the convenience of our current coaching staff.

At the current clip. We're not likely to win anywhere. Especially Vancouver or Edmonton.

No games since 1995. That's rubbish for the nations 2nd largest city. There is not excuse. CCR is bigger than Swangard, has grass and it's main tenant outdrew both Albertan A-league teams plus the Toronto A-league this year combined.

It's simply a crime.

Archived