U-19 Pre-Tournament Thread

sstackho

TV For All of Canada's Matches!:)

passed on by T Henry at GoBigRed:

"Hello,

You recent emailed our network about the women's under-19 soccer tourney from Thailand. The broadcasting agreement has now been signed. We will be airing the three qualifying matches that Canada will play. As well, we will air all of their games that they play in the playoff rounds. We will also air the finals, whether Canada plays in it or not. Decisions regarding which games will be live and which will be tape delayed have yet to be made. Just follow up on our website closer to the date. Any other questions, please let me know. We certainly appreciate your interest in our network".

Sincerely

Jim LaChapelle

Audience Relations

Rogers Sportsnet"

First Match:

Canada vs Australia on Wednesday, November 10 (Tape Delay) in the following Sportsnet Regions:

4.00 pm Eastern

3.30 pm Ontario

2.30 pm West

4.30 pm Pacific

Olympic disappointment will inspire Lang

By JIM MORRIS

(CP) - It was a long, frustrating summer for Kara Lang.

The 18-year-old defender on Canada's under-19 women's soccer team refused to watch the Athens Olympics on television. Lang was a member of the senior team that lost a heartbreaking 2-1 game to Mexico last March which cost Canada a trip to the Summer Games. The anguish of losing that game will be fresh in Lang's mind as Canada competes in the under-19 world championships in Thailand Nov. 10-27.

"I'll bring that to Thailand with me, knowing what it's like to lose such an important competition," said Lang, a native of Oakville, Ont., who now plays for the Vancouver Whitecaps of the W-League.

Coach Ian Bridge said the 21-member squad that left early Monday morning may be more talented than the Canadian side that lost to the U.S. in the final of the inaugural under-19 championship in Edmonton in 2002.

"It's always difficult to compare a team that has gone through a tournament and had great results with a team that has yet to do that," said Bridge. "Talent wise we're every bit as good, maybe better. We have players with even more senior caps now than we had back then. The team back then had more international games leading up to the tournament. We've had much more time together but fewer international games."

Bridge will be looking for veteran leadership from Lang, who has 43 caps with the senior team, and midfielder Brittany Timko, 19, a Coquitlam, B.C., native who has 34 caps and plays for the University of Nebraska.

Both women played in the 2002 under-19 tournament and were part of the Canadian senior team that finished fourth at last year women's World Cup.

Lang controls the play from her spot in the middle of the Canadian defence. Tall and rangy, she scored two goals in five games during the CONCACAF U-19 qualifying tournament.

"I think this is more of a leadership opportunity for me than anything I've had to do," said Lang. "I am directing from the back a lot. I get to see the whole field. I think it does make a little bit of difference that I've been there once before. I know what to expect."

Canada's roster includes goalkeeper Stacey VanBoxmeer of Collingwood, Ont., who had four shutouts in five starts during the qualifying tournament; Aysha Jamani of Calgary, who scored five goals; Josee Belanger of Coaticook, Que., who scored the overtime goal in a 2-1 win over the United States to win the qualifying tournament and Sydney Leroux of Surrey, B.C., a 14-year-old who combines a cat's quickness with a bulldog's tenancy around the net.

Bridge is also looking for a strong performance from Jodi-Ann Robinson. The 15-year-old forward from Richmond, B.C., plays like a young Charmaine Hooper, who has scored more international goals than any Canadian player.

"She loves the contact," Bridge said with a grin. "She loves to beat up on players as an attacking player. She's very clever around the goal and very tricky."

Canada is in Group A of the 12-team tournament and plays all its first-round games in Bangkok. The Canadians open the tournament Nov. 10 against Australia, face Thailand Nov. 13 and then Germany Nov. 16.

The powerful German team, led by scoring machine Anja Mittag, is favoured to win the tournament while Australia reached the quarter-finals in Edmonton.

The top two finishers from each group, plus the two best third-place teams advance to the quarter-final playoffs.

Bridge expects tougher games this tournament than what Canada faced in Edmonton.

"Everybody has had two more years to prepare and had players in their youth system for an extra two years," he said. "The level of play has gone up across the board. The teams in our group will be very hard."

A look at the teams Canada will play in the first round of the Nov. 10-27 under-19 women's soccer championship in Thailand:

Australia

The Young Matildas needed to beat just two other teams to qualify for the tournament but showed no mercy in outscoring Papua New Guinea and the Solomon Islands by a combined score of 27-1.

Coach Adrian Santrac has put together a team that combines youth and experience. Santrac says he wants to make Australia one of the top four women's teams in the world, but he may have difficulty matching the club's fifth-place finish two years ago in Edmonton.

Thailand

The host nation automatically qualified for the under-19 championships but showed skill and goal-scoring ability by finishing in the top four of the Asian regional tournament, the best-ever result for a Thai women's side at this age level.

Pattarawan Thongkern showed she will need marking during the tournament by scoring all three goals in Thailand's 3-0 defeat of Taiwan in the quarter-final of the qualifying tournament. Other players to watch will be midfielders Niparat Sriwasao and Junpen Seesraum.

Brazilian coach Je Costa Lopes has imported a samba-style of play that has resulted in some exciting games.

Thailand failed to qualify for the 2002 tournament.

Germany

Despite a surprise loss to Spain in the European championships, Germany is one of the favourites to win the world under-19 championship.

Coach Silvia Neid has built an arsenal of scoring talent, led by Anja Mittag. The German's combine tactical discipline and a relentless attack. During the European championship the top five scorers were all German.

Germany finished third in Edmonton.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/Canada/2004/10/22/681233-cp.html

Olympic disappointment will inspire Lang

By JIM MORRIS

(CP) - It was a long, frustrating summer for Kara Lang.

The 18-year-old defender on Canada's under-19 women's soccer team refused to watch the Athens Olympics on television. Lang was a member of the senior team that lost a heartbreaking 2-1 game to Mexico last March which cost Canada a trip to the Summer Games. The anguish of losing that game will be fresh in Lang's mind as Canada competes in the under-19 world championships in Thailand Nov. 10-27.

"I'll bring that to Thailand with me, knowing what it's like to lose such an important competition," said Lang, a native of Oakville, Ont., who now plays for the Vancouver Whitecaps of the W-League.

Coach Ian Bridge said the 21-member squad that left early Monday morning may be more talented than the Canadian side that lost to the U.S. in the final of the inaugural under-19 championship in Edmonton in 2002.

"It's always difficult to compare a team that has gone through a tournament and had great results with a team that has yet to do that," said Bridge. "Talent wise we're every bit as good, maybe better. We have players with even more senior caps now than we had back then. The team back then had more international games leading up to the tournament. We've had much more time together but fewer international games."

Bridge will be looking for veteran leadership from Lang, who has 43 caps with the senior team, and midfielder Brittany Timko, 19, a Coquitlam, B.C., native who has 34 caps and plays for the University of Nebraska.

Both women played in the 2002 under-19 tournament and were part of the Canadian senior team that finished fourth at last year women's World Cup.

Lang controls the play from her spot in the middle of the Canadian defence. Tall and rangy, she scored two goals in five games during the CONCACAF U-19 qualifying tournament.

"I think this is more of a leadership opportunity for me than anything I've had to do," said Lang. "I am directing from the back a lot. I get to see the whole field. I think it does make a little bit of difference that I've been there once before. I know what to expect."

Canada's roster includes goalkeeper Stacey VanBoxmeer of Collingwood, Ont., who had four shutouts in five starts during the qualifying tournament; Aysha Jamani of Calgary, who scored five goals; Josee Belanger of Coaticook, Que., who scored the overtime goal in a 2-1 win over the United States to win the qualifying tournament and Sydney Leroux of Surrey, B.C., a 14-year-old who combines a cat's quickness with a bulldog's tenancy around the net.

Bridge is also looking for a strong performance from Jodi-Ann Robinson. The 15-year-old forward from Richmond, B.C., plays like a young Charmaine Hooper, who has scored more international goals than any Canadian player.

"She loves the contact," Bridge said with a grin. "She loves to beat up on players as an attacking player. She's very clever around the goal and very tricky."

Canada is in Group A of the 12-team tournament and plays all its first-round games in Bangkok. The Canadians open the tournament Nov. 10 against Australia, face Thailand Nov. 13 and then Germany Nov. 16.

The powerful German team, led by scoring machine Anja Mittag, is favoured to win the tournament while Australia reached the quarter-finals in Edmonton.

The top two finishers from each group, plus the two best third-place teams advance to the quarter-final playoffs.

Bridge expects tougher games this tournament than what Canada faced in Edmonton.

"Everybody has had two more years to prepare and had players in their youth system for an extra two years," he said. "The level of play has gone up across the board. The teams in our group will be very hard."

A look at the teams Canada will play in the first round of the Nov. 10-27 under-19 women's soccer championship in Thailand:

Australia

The Young Matildas needed to beat just two other teams to qualify for the tournament but showed no mercy in outscoring Papua New Guinea and the Solomon Islands by a combined score of 27-1.

Coach Adrian Santrac has put together a team that combines youth and experience. Santrac says he wants to make Australia one of the top four women's teams in the world, but he may have difficulty matching the club's fifth-place finish two years ago in Edmonton.

Thailand

The host nation automatically qualified for the under-19 championships but showed skill and goal-scoring ability by finishing in the top four of the Asian regional tournament, the best-ever result for a Thai women's side at this age level.

Pattarawan Thongkern showed she will need marking during the tournament by scoring all three goals in Thailand's 3-0 defeat of Taiwan in the quarter-final of the qualifying tournament. Other players to watch will be midfielders Niparat Sriwasao and Junpen Seesraum.

Brazilian coach Je Costa Lopes has imported a samba-style of play that has resulted in some exciting games.

Thailand failed to qualify for the 2002 tournament.

Germany

Despite a surprise loss to Spain in the European championships, Germany is one of the favourites to win the world under-19 championship.

Coach Silvia Neid has built an arsenal of scoring talent, led by Anja Mittag. The German's combine tactical discipline and a relentless attack. During the European championship the top five scorers were all German.

Germany finished third in Edmonton.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/Canada/2004/10/22/681233-cp.html

There is no doubt Canada will be tough opponents for anyone in this tournament, yet in all discussions so far surrounding Canadian preparations I am surprised there has been little mention of the weather conditions they will face in Thailand. Playing in 33-37 C temps in South East Asia is very, very energy sapping. I've played under these conditions in that part of the world, you sweat profusely and the oppressive heat is shattering. When I hear the Bridge "master plan" is fast, forward and aggressive it brings to mind numerous England World Cup forays into such conditions as coming an absolute cropper. In Japan, Michael Owen openly admitted that it was impossible to play go, go, go type football for any great stretch.

Bridge himself has plenty of experience in these conditions (WC 86) so we can be optimistic that he will pass on his expertise. Canada will have to try and make the ball do the work if they are to be successful. Having Pellerud standing over Bridges' shoulder is not grounds for optimism though as he clearly heavily favours Scandinavian style route 1 soccer.

I think Canadas' progress in the tournament will depend hugely on whether they have the right players and style of game to adapt to the conditions. Lets hope they can pull it off.

Canada Blanks Russia 2:0

Aysha Jamani

Ottawa, Ontario – The Canadian Women’s Under-19 Team today defeated Russia 2-0 at Karon Stadium in Phuket, Thailand in the first of a two game warm up series before beginning the 2002 FIFA Under-19 Women’s World Championships against Australia on Wednesday, November 10th.

Both Aysha Jamani and Deanna Everrett scored for Canada. Everrett also earned her first cap with the U-19 team.

Canada will play their final preparatory friendly against Russia on Saturday, November 6th at 10:00 am local time.

Canada - Russia:

November 4, 2004 – International friendly

Attendance: 114

Karon Stadium - Phuket, Thailand

Canada 2 (1)

Russia 0 (0)

Goals: Canada - Aysha Jamani, Deanna Everrett

Canada Blanks Russia 2:0

Aysha Jamani

Ottawa, Ontario – The Canadian Women’s Under-19 Team today defeated Russia 2-0 at Karon Stadium in Phuket, Thailand in the first of a two game warm up series before beginning the 2002 FIFA Under-19 Women’s World Championships against Australia on Wednesday, November 10th.

Both Aysha Jamani and Deanna Everrett scored for Canada. Everrett also earned her first cap with the U-19 team.

Canada will play their final preparatory friendly against Russia on Saturday, November 6th at 10:00 am local time.

Canada - Russia:

November 4, 2004 – International friendly

Attendance: 114

Karon Stadium - Phuket, Thailand

Canada 2 (1)

Russia 0 (0)

Goals: Canada - Aysha Jamani, Deanna Everrett

Fourteen-year-old impresses as women prep for world U-19 soccer tourney

Updated at 16:31 on November 4, 2004, EST.

(CP) - Young phenom Sydney Leroux is pressing her case for an expanded role for Canada at the women's world under-19 soccer championship in Thailand.

The 14-year-old from Surrey, B.C., turned heads Thursday in a 2-0 warmup win over Russia in Phuket after coming on in the second half. "She had a big, big impact," Canadian coach Ian Bridge said from the team hotel.

Leroux played a major part in one goal, getting free at the top of the box and hitting a shot that bounced off the underside of the bar and may have dropped in. Teammate Deana Everett, a 16-year-old from Oakville, Ont., got credit for the goal, knocking in the bouncing rebound.

"Literally every time she got the ball, she was dangerous," Bridge said of Leroux, who only turned 14 in May. "They couldn't handle her speed. She is so brave and aggressive, and wants to score goals.

"She's a handful. I turned to Bob (assistant coach Bob Birarda) on the bench and said 'I would not want to play against her."'

Canada, runner-up at the inaugural tournament two years ago in Edmonton, opens play Wednesday against Australia in Bangkok.

Leroux would not be the first Canadian phenom at the championship. Kara Lang was a 15-year-old upstart in 2002. Now Lang and Brittany Timko, the other returning veteran, lead the squad and have played a combined 77 times for the senior side.

Bridge has options up front. While he does not have the luxury of a scoring machine like Christine Sinclair, the 2002 tournament MVP and scoring leader with 10 goals, he has plenty of talent and can line up his team several ways.

Jodi-Ann Robinson, a 15-year-old from Richmond, B.C., started Thursday as a lone striker up front with support from attacking midfielders Timko and Josee Belanger.

Timko can also play up front. Jamani is another option, as are Leroux and Everett.

Leroux and Everett were among the last four players chosen to the 21-woman roster. Bridge had looked to the youngsters to perhaps make an impact off the bench, but their stock rises as the tournament nears.

"This is a team where everybody is pushing hard for starting spots, making my job on the one hand very tough, but on the other hand very easy, to put a good team on the field," said Bridge.

Against Russia, Bridge was impressed by his backline of Lang, Tanya Dennis, Emily Zurrer and Katie Radchuck in front of goalkeeper Stacey VanBoxmeer.

Canada comes into the tournament among the favourites, having beaten the 2002 champion United States in the CONCACAF qualifying tournament.

That was supposed to earn the Canadians a good draw, but the potential reward was somewhat nullified when a disappointing Germany finished a surprise second in European qualifying and joined Canada, Australia and host Thailand in Group A at the 12-country tournament.

The Canadians left Vancouver early Monday, arriving in Phuket via Hong Kong. The long haul was eased by the fact that the team's training base in on the ocean.

"We hit the beach about 30 seconds after arriving at the hotel," Bridge said.

Notes: Another exhibition game against Russia is planned for Saturday. ... Bridge has chosen his captains but has yet to announce who they are. He normally has three: a match captain, a training captain and a "social" captain. He is waiting until Saturday when defender Robyn Gayle, the last player to join the squad, arrives from the University of North Carolina.

The Canadian Press, 2004

The Australians are upbeat about their preparations in Singapore before meeting Canada, interesting article on FIFA website:

FIFA U-19 Women's World Championship

Aussie U-19s getting comfortable with Asian heat

Adrian Santrac, the coach of the Australian U-19 team for the FIFA U-19 Women’s World Championship Thailand 2004

courtesy of australiansoccer.com

(FIFA.com)  04 Nov 2004

As the world's best prepare to meet at the FIFA U-19 Women's World Championship Thailand 2004, Australia are hoping to sneak in under the radar cause a surprise to their more illustrious rivals.  With intense preparations underway, coach Adrian Santrac's youngsters would like to achieve at least as much as they did when they reached the quarter-finals at Canada 2002.

Full national team boss Santrac was also in charge two years ago when his team came from two goals behind only to fall 4-3 to Brazil in the last eight, and he has been working hard lately to prepare his team for the international showpiece event for youth football on the women's side.  The Oceanian Zone Champions will face a tough task in Group A along with regional champions Canada, European runners-up Germany and hosts Thailand.

Heading north with momentum

A 10-0 thumping of the Singapore's women's national team over the weekend has raised spirits in the Australian team.  Leena Khamis, Selin Kuralay and Collette McCallum all scored twice in the target practice at Jalan Besar Stadium that also served to get the South Pacific women used to what could be difficult conditions in Southeast Asia.

"The climatic conditions (in Singapore) are very similar to Bangkok, so before moving on to Thailand we'll have plenty of time to get acclimatised," Santrac recently told the Australian FA's web site.  "The heat and humidity should be very energy sapping … There's no doubt that the conditions will be a factor, along with which teams are the fittest and strongest."

Luckily for Oz supporters, physical strength, conditioning and work-rate are traditionally strong suits for their athletes, and an intense preparation period over the past month should ensure that the Young Matildas continue that trend.  The Aussie women have been in Thailand itself this week where they are preparing for their final friendly match and the second-ever U-19 finals.

Italian test 

Selin Kuralay is hoping to be Australia's star at the FIFA U-19 Women's World Championship Thailand 2004

Based in the northern mountain city of Chiang Mai before heading to Bangkok on 6 November, Australia will face European upstarts Italy the day before.  It promises to be a good test for both teams as they scramble to gain experience and form.  The Azzurre were unfortunate to lose out in the European last four to eventual champions Spain, so Australia will be anxious to put on a good performance and prove themselves against a world class team.

Three consecutive 2-1 home defeats to Asian powerhouses China PR exhibited a worrying lack of inexperience but also encouraging talent which left Santrac upbeat.

"This squad of players has enormous potential," he said.  "But, there is also a fair bit of work to do to reach that potential. We're all confident that we'll get very close in Thailand."

How the Italy contest goes should give a fair assessment of that preparation process before the Australians face women's giants Canada in their opening match.  Stealing points against the North Americans is not out of the question insists Santrac.

"We are a very unknown team," said the 46-year-old boss.  "Looking at what Canada has done, they have a squad which has been together since the fourteen years age group.  Our team is without a lot of international experience, but in saying that, it is a team with a lot of quality.  If we are effective in retaining possession, are able to handle the heat and humidity and impose our game, we are quietly confident we can achieve good things."

Hello everyone. I have been surfing onto Voyager for a while to follow the progress of the U-19's.

I am finally going to post because I was in a position to hear through the Grapevine that Zurrer collided with a Russian Player in their second match and took 18 stitches to the forehead plus many more underneath. Apparently they stitched her up on the sidelines, and she is hoping that she can still play. Thats all I know for now.

CG

Final Russian friendly match report from CSA site.

----------------------------------------------------

Women's Under-19 Team

Sunday, November 07, 2004

Canada Sweeps Russia In Two Game Series

Ottawa, Ontario – The Canadian Women’s U-19 Team defeated Russia 2:1 on Saturday, November 6th in Phuket, Thailand to sweep the two game friendly series. Canada will now travel to Bangkok to prepare for their opening match of the FIFA U-19 Women’s World Championship against Australia on Wednesday, November 10th.

Aysha Jamani scored the go ahead goal in the 25th minute. Russia scored the equalizer five minutes later.

Jodi-Ann Robinson scored the winner in the 80th minute.

"This was a tough, physical game that sometimes happens when you play a team for the second time in two days. Russia was more competitive than in the first game and showed why they will be a tough group C opponent for Spain, Korea Republic and USA. Having said that, our players fought very hard and created more goal chances than Russia. The goals were well finished by Jamani and Robinson,” said Head Coach Ian Bridge.

“We have had a great pre-tournament camp here in Phuket and the local organizing committee and FIFA have been very helpful and professional. We are still getting used to the 14 hour time difference and tropical temperatures, but the team is looking sharper every day. Now we move on to Bangkok to prepare for Australia”

November 6, 2004 – International friendly

Karon Stadium - Phuket, Thailand Nov. 6, 10:00

Attendance: 200

Canada 2(1)

Russia 1(1)

Goals: Canada- Jamani (25), Robinson (80); Russia- N/A (30)

Canada: VanBoxmeer; Radchuck, Lang, Zurrer (Schmidt, 44), Dennis (Lebrecque, 65); Maranda (Iacchelli, 42), Cicchini, Timko (Bazos, 70,); Belanger (Raber, 70), Jamani (Everrett, 63), Leroux (Robinson, 42); Head Coach: Ian Bridge

Russia: NA

• 3 weeks later...

Went to see Australia v China Under 19 womens before the tournament in my home city...a great spectacle to watch.

China looked like a good side, but Australia only lost by a goal

Whats lacking in Australia is the same enthusiasm for women's football as here in Canada...yes it was broadcast, but forums are not as popular of Womens Soccer as Mens Soccer is.

Archived