Yallop: Stay or Go?

RS

Somehow I have my doubts that Onstad would have been replaced as starter regardless of how many games they had before WCQ or how he played. He wasn't named captain to be a backup keeper. As far as the other positions go I had the impression Yallop had a few positions where he had already made his mind up and a few where he had no idea who should play there. Maybe a few more games would have helped him make better decisions regarding the latter group of positions. However, given that he only had two A friendlies and two qualification games against a vastly inferior opponent he should have used these more effectively to evaluate talent.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many more excuses can you make for the twit?!? He failed in every category you can use to measure a manager:

Tactics: players out of position all over the place, DeRo was just loungin on the left with nothing to do, Jazic couldn't figure out why there was no to pass back to, Hutch at right back is wasted talent, Radzinski as a target man is a joke. Even with three extra friendlies to get used to their new positions, they are not being played in positions that suit their styles and strengths.

Selection: Corazzin! 'nuff said. The failings of Onstad, Watson, Imhof and the omission of Brennan, Bircham, Klukowski etc are well documented.

Leadership: No one seemed to respect Frankie too much, Hume is a hothead but I think it will be a while before he stops scowling, maybe he'll choose to focus on his club career for a while? DeRo was blatantly disrespectful when he was subbed out. Truth is he should have been on the bench anyways.

Motivation: DeVos tried but he's not the manager...yet!

Stay (for now).

A few questionable squad choices did not knock us out of the competition. A lack of prep games (as shown by the teams better performances as the round went on) and appaling referreeing mistakes (to be charitable to a certain Mexican "ref") were the primary factors. Niether of these things were within his control so I think he should be given a chance to prove himself by taking us to the semi-finals of the next Gold Cup. Anything less and I think he should go.

Archived