Yallop: Stay or Go?

RS

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Sure Holger or some other tactician of boredom would have gotten us through to the Hex. But then what? Lose 1-0 to T&T in the battle for 3rd?

I'll take losing in the hex to losing in this round! :D

I'd be interested in seeing what the feeling is out there on the choice between playing defensively and advancing to at least the hex, as against pushing forward and creating more chances but ultimately losing in the early rounds.

The '86 WC team (still the only side to play in a WC Final, at least until 2010) was built to defend. I was quite happy watching Canada play France in the Finals in '86, although we didn't score a goal in three games. I was thrilled for us just to be there and thought at the time it would be the first of many. Sigh.......

I turned the tube off when Corazzin came on for Hume. That substitution epimotized Frank Yallop's (hopefully short) tenure as Canada's head coach.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

I turned the tube off when Corazzin came on for Hume. That substitution epimotized Frank Yallop's (hopefully short) tenure as Canada's head coach.

I'll agree that putting Corazzin on was a mistake, but I would not sack Yallop so quickly. He's a good coach and has learned a lot in his short 10 months at the helm. Too early to sack him--it would be a waste at this point.

I would keep Yallop and evaluate him after the Gold Cup. In his favour he had little time, injuries and bad refereeing to contend with. However, Frank has to show improvement with the team very quickly or he should be canned. His instincts have been poor when in comes to player selection - Onstad, Corrazin, Pizzolitto, Peters, Simpson in the first match. Also his choices of players to exclude were questionable -Brennan, Bircham, Hirshfeld, Aguiar. In short, Frank gets another chance be he has to perform soon.

I would rather see some heads rolling at the top.

Its hard to blame Yallop for all of this but we have to get a new coach and Brasil would be a good start. We would have to pay a high price for one since I can´t think of one reason why one would come here except for the money. I was thinking of the coach from Palmeiras who took São Caetano from a 2nd division and lost in the Brasil cup finals, which gave them the 1st division rise. All this guy did was lose in the finals 3 years straight (sad to note this but......) then he got canned for not winning the big one. Palmeiras stunk and got demoted to 2nd division He tookover that job and won the division first year and got promoted back to the 1st. Now Palmeiras is in 4th place and kicking some ass. As most people say, go with a proven winner, not what your heart feels:)

quote:Originally posted by way2goeh

Its hard to blame Yallop for all of this but we have to get a new coach and Brasil would be a good start. We would have to pay a high price for one since I can´t think of one reason why one would come here except for the money. I was thinking of the coach from Palmeiras who took São Caetano from a 2nd division and lost in the Brasil cup finals, which gave them the 1st division rise. All this guy did was lose in the finals 3 years straight (sad to note this but......) then he got canned for not winning the big one. Palmeiras stunk and got demoted to 2nd division He tookover that job and won the division first year and got promoted back to the 1st. Now Palmeiras is in 4th place and kicking some ass. As most people say, go with a proven winner, not what your heart feels:)

I'm not against the idea of brining in a Brazilian coach for Canada--at some point--but I doubt they'll do much for the team. The problems we face have little to do with who coaches us, to be honest. Or, to be more accurate, what we need is a series of Brazilian or French or Yugo coaches at the developmental levels. What is the point of brining in hot Brazilian coach when the players he must coach do not have the skills needed to execute his game plan? Sure, he could have some impact--he probably would--but I do not think a national team coach from brasil is the sort of saviour you suggest he'd be. In fact, there is no magic bullet: our problems are widespread, often systemtic, and not easily solved.

Any chance we could afford a half-dozen brazilian coaches? One for each of the U15s, U17s, U20s, U23s and National team etc.

I think one problem in getting rid of Yallop from the CSA's standpoint would be the cost factor. They've already undoubtedly bought out Holger's contract (which was supposed to last until '06, so it must have been a pretty penny), and now they're faced with doing the same with Yallop (who has two years to go).

We all know the CSA is not bursting with cash, and this decision may end up being more financial than tactical.

I say that despite the fact that I think we should give Yallop he next two years regardless (the next year in the very least) to prove whether he had the goods all along.

I don't think there is a coach in the world that unltimately would have gotten us through ths round and the next given the circumstances, and I think Yallop is improving as a coach. Since we're already paying him up to '06, why not give him until then to prove what he's worth?

If he's still not the coach for our needs, then in '06 we can hire a new one, and the new guy will have 2 full years to prepare for WCQ in '08 (God, how depressing is it to think that our next truly meaningful match isn't for four years?)

Agreed that there should be no rush to ditch Yallop. What difference does it really make if you bring in a new guy now or in two or three years? Nothing to lose by giving him a shot at next years Gold Cup. Besides, coaching does not address the causes for why we are eliminated from WCQ.

We need someone who has coached at the world's top levels, thats all there is to it. Yallops strategy totally backfired in our faces. only two points with our level of talent? i know we got screwed by honduras twice but c'mon, our performance was still totally unacceptable and its the coach who must pay the price.

I also agree that Yallop should stay.

Give him some proper time to work with the squad, then let's see if there is any significant progression. If not, we need to re-evaluate a good 2 years before the next big round, so that the next guy can get better settled than Frank got a chance to.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

We need someone who has coached at the world's top levels, thats all there is to it. Yallops strategy totally backfired in our faces. only two points with our level of talent? i know we got screwed by honduras twice but c'mon, our performance was still totally unacceptable and its the coach who must pay the price.

The nickname kinda undermines any objectivity in the opinion.

He should stay

Typical CSA blunder. They kept the old guy, HO on too long. It didn't give Yallop alot of time to get the thing together. Osieck had the same problem after Lenarduzzi.

I don't think Yallop has done a bad job so far. I like the players, for the most part and they can be a pleasant side to watch. We lost 4 points from ridiculous calls. Give us those 4 points and we're through to the final round. We certainly wouldn't have needed to press so hard in the second half against CR last night. That game probably would have eneded in a draw. If CONCACAF weren't such a joke, we'd be sitting at 2 wins, 2 draws and a loss. Not bad for Yallop on short notice.

I know it's a lof of "ifs and buts" but let's not forget a couple things:

If we don't get screwed by the refs twice against Honduras, not only is it 4 additional points, but we also likely have Stalteri last night. We also don't desperately need to win last night and might protect the draw a little better.

Also, it wasn't Frank's fault that our true captain missed a game with a mis-diagnosed injury.

frank is the one responsible for failing to get the team motivated

to win these games, our home games the players looked liked the couldn't give a damn. Onstad standing still on that free kick for CR 3 rd goal

shows a lack of interest on his part, just dive for the thing, you might

or might not get it but at least try. Frank must go now if we even have a shot at the Gold cup ,highly unlikely at this point in time.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

maybe, but im still surprised so many of you want frank to stay. Do you guys really think theres not a better coach out there to lead us into the gold cup and WCQ 2010?

There's always a better coach somewhere. But if you're going to hire someone, you have to give him a chance to do the job. You can't change your mind every 10-12 months. I'm not sold on Yallop. I just don't think he's been in the job long enough to fairly judge his ability.

He has a two year contract. I don't see any pressing need to replace him before his term is up.

Before the CSA fires Yallop they need to analyse whether or not it was realistic to expect this team would qualify for the hex, let alone the world cup. It's one thing for the supporters to believe this, as we're supporters; we're supposed to have hope and faith.

If the CSA (in there esteemed opinion ;)) feel that qualification was virtually there for the taking then they need to re-assess the coach's position. If they keep him on, they are suggesting IMHO that the hex was not necessarily the goal, or, again IMHO, that the preparation and organization by the governing body was insufficient to ensure the team's success. If the latter then somebody needs to held accountable for decisions such as venues (should be done to ensure least amount of travel), training time, pre-tournament friendlies (or lack thereof), etc.

P.S. I appreciate the mostly civil responses by the posters to date. Looks good on us, regardless of which side of the debate.

quote:[You bring in the best coach in the world and give him the same amount of games and time to evaluate his players that close to the qualification tournament,do you really think things would be any different?

Yes, as a better coach would not make the player selections that Yallop made.

I don't agree with Yallop staying and giving him the chance of the Gold Cup. The Gold cup is hardly a measuring tool even if we were to win it. Holger did it and look where that took us. With Yallop staying we will still have his archaic choices of old players. Give me a break, putting that fatso of Corrazin into the game was just moronic. The next thing with that mentality is that Yallop will insert himself into the game. He can't sell himself, low confidence. I predict he will resign alla Holger.

Archived