Where is Randy Samuel? Answer.

bettermirror

he is guest-coaching my rep boys u11 team in Chilliwack!

I emailed chilliwack youth soccer about opportunities to be an assistant and the u11 coach called me up right away. so in discussion he asked if i knew who randy samuel was and i said OF COURSE, HE WAS MY FAVOURITE PLAYER GROWING UP, EH! anyway, i met randy for the first time last night and he was fantastic. the nicest guy you ever wanna meet, and a real mind for the game. he really knows what the u11's require to become acquainted with the full field. it was inspiring. so he'll be coming out for the next two months.

i am going to get him to sign my world cup qualifying jersey from 98 and my yellow/blue whitecaps warm up jacket next week!

he drives a SWEET CAR.

downside, we may have found a racist parent amongst the ranks who says that "randy treats the boys as though they are more mature than they really are and won't learn the game until they know and trust each other." she kept her son off the field until randy was done with his session.

rebuttles to her argument were and are obvious and have been made. she stormed off.

I saw a piece on Samuel three or four years ago, when he was being inducted into the Canadian sports hall of fame. If I remember correctly, Pele himself had a lot of good words for him -- I remember words to the effect that Samuel was Canada's first world-class superstar.

I wish I was 11 again. And in Chilliwack. And while we're wishing, I'll add good at soccer, too.

M@

One has to wonder how I man of Samuel's playing calibre ended up coaching an U-11 side in Chilliwack after all these years. Not to sound disparaging because I grew up playing minor soccer in the Valley and have nothing but respect for all the men and women who stepped in and volunteered to help us grow as players and as people. Those are some lucky kids out there in the boonies. It's just that it's like Paul Coffey taking over Mission Minor Hockey. Are there no pro possibilities for this guy? He's still known in parts of Europe, I'm sure. Yeah, it's kind of puzzling, at least to me.

Well that's pretty cool. Small world sometimes.

Who knows why he's coaching the little ones? Has got time on his hands from other ventures? A lot of ex-Bombers, Americans mostly, set up shop in Winnipeg after their playing days are done and don't seem to become re-involved in three-down football again until a few years later. Gets in the blood I guess and you get to wanting to hang out with the boys again a little.

Besides, U11s and U12s are the most fun! Just beginning to realy learn the craft. Most critical years for sure.

That is so cool. The most ungainly, sometimes awkward looking, but always effective center half in Canadian football. Deceptive speed too.

sorry, i didn't check the make of his car. i'll let you know next thursday after wednesday practice!

why is he coaching u11's? he's not a "coach." he's just guest-appearing. he is doing 1-to-1 coaching with the current coaches son prior to team practice. not sure how they know each other. i haven't spoken to randy about what he does otherwise.

also, why chilliwack? chilliwack youth soccer over the last 2-3 years has become HIGHLY competitive and VERY WELL organized and run. with evaluation camps run all year, elite camps in the summer and tryouts involving anywhere from 50-100 kids per team - there are two u11 rep teams and 4 u11 house teams. for a city of 65000 that's quite impressive.

anyway, is she racist? i don't know. i was just throwing it out there. of course there is a great possibility she just sucks arse! anyway, the real horror of the story is she makes her son sit and watch his friends practice until randy is gone or keeps him home until randy is gone. chances are he won't remain on the team - coaches decision. he won't know the system (yes, knowing the system is important in chilliwack nowadays - sure wasn't when i was growing up!)

ps-it's funny. a lot of you suggest hutchinson be our "gullit" but randy himself played central midfield for breda but defence for canada! said he scored 10 goals a year over there!

Archived