Back from Edmonton

CanadasBest

Well the trip Victoria-Edmonton was alot of fun. The game was alot of fun, and it was great meeting so many of you. The atmosphere created at the game was really good, but once again there were a whole ton of Honduran fans sitting right beside us. I would say the majority of these fans were living in Canada which to me personally is a major insult.

Anyways as mentioned somewhere else, Stalteri was not going to be good to go for Wednesday, as was mentioned by his wife. The other thing to note is that I would not be surprised if Wednesday is the last time we see Tomas Radzinski in a Canadian uniform. He looked very pissed off and frustrated, spending alot of time yelling at his teamates.

Anyways I have about 5 rolls of film I took at the game, so I will get them developped and post the best ones.

P.S. Thanks for a great time everyone who attended the game. Was great to see some familiar faces, and great to meet some new ones.

Geoff

and thanks to you and your "wet coast" cohorts who made the trek east to "King Klein's Kountry".

Yes, the atmosphere was a good one [funny how it seems to be the people who watched the game on TV from provinces away who protest the purported absence of ambience] and I noted several of the players thanking the crowd after and acknowledging the chants before.

I really have to watch myself at these games. I can develop some very "unCanadian" [ruefull grin] thoughts when I see folks out in numbers waving flags and cheering against Canada. Yes, yes I know it is their right and that is one of the things that makes this country what it is.

Did you see that "goof" jumping up and down wearing the "star spangled banner" and Honduran flags? I chucked and got a raise from the people around me when I opined, "ah yes the United States, beloved friend of Central America". I know the quality of local minor soccer usually improved with every Latin or South American coup unfortunately.

I too would not be surprised about Radzinski. It reminded me of the Lennarduzi era years ago when a younger Peschisolido and Alex Bunbury were similarly expressive. I think it was Bunbury who complained that he was playing for club sides [at the time] who were paying midfielders a lot of money to provide him with good service.

Cheers

It was great to see you guys again. Glad y'awl had a safe and fun trip (as that is as close to a home game as I'll ever get).

quote:Originally posted by bmac

Did you see that "goof" jumping up and down wearing the "star spangled banner" and Honduran flags?

It was supposed to be my job to light that guy on fire, but I forgot.

quote:Originally posted by Reza

yeah..it was definitely great to see such a large and vocal contingent from Toronto, Ottawa, Saskatoon and Moose Jaw and Calgary and Vancouver and Victoria.

Must agree that the ambience and noise that the Voyageurs created was frickin impressive. The rabid patch of Honduran fans to our left may have outnumbered us, but we battled them hard. Not many of us had much of a voice left after the game. (I yanked a Hondu flag from some guy--not a good idea, mind you--as he waved the bloody thing IN our section after their bull**** goal. "Hey, man," he said in a thick hispanic accent, "stope pussing me."

I met a good bunch of you guys, and am confident that our presence and singing and good form did much to convert a good many fans, especially a whack of young kids--10 - 12 years old--who got right into the game in proper rabid fashion. What we need is a Voyageur card or postcard so that we can give them to these kids and get them on this site. We may call this our "Canadian Soccer Supporters" site, but what it really is is a site for Canadian Soccer fans who need support. It is damned hard being a soccer fan in this country, and the best support is a site and group like the Voyageurs. I know we despair a fair bit as of late, but we've got to keep our peckers up, as my dad would say, and realize that ground doesn't get broken if you stop digging too soon.

If any of you have not come out to watch a game with the Voyageurs, I highly reccommend it. My wife and good buddy are full converts. To the lads I met (Mimglo, Tony, Iain, Andrew, Matthew, Beaches, Gordon, CurrentChamp, TorontoSupporter etc (and I won't get you all), vive le Canada and it was a frickin pleasure. I'll see CurrentChamp and a few others at Swangard in October.

I personally love watching games at Commonwelth.That was my 2nd national team game there.The first one being against Australia in 93 before 28000 fans.

You guys helped make it a memorable experience.Those few moments outside of Sherlock Holmes excahanging chants with the Hondurans as they made there way from their hotel was magical.I'd love to know what they were thinking.

Reza,thanks for allowing me to handle the banner duties.It was an honor to do so.I know that you are the originator of a couple of them.I appoligize for not acknowledging this in person on Saturday.No disrepect intended.I'll have them back to you after the Costa Rica home game.

quote:Originally posted by TOMLION

why didn't they play serioux, and only gave simpson a short game, these two are gonna be superb for canada in the future.

I think Frank wanted to go with experience and the guys who have played together a little more.

Serioux has a sore shoulder. It is still bothering him since the game against Reading. He is in London getting it looked at.

I just wanted to say thanks to all you lads for taking the trip down to Edmonton. I should maybe mention that my brother and I were the last ones to arrive at Sherlock Holmes before the game, so I didn't get a chance to really meet all of you as the party broke up pretty much as soon as I got there. Really did me proud to walk in and see all those red shirts together.

Nice to finally meet Mimglow, I'm pretty sure Gordon was behind me at the game. Who was taking all the pictures? And who was the vocal leader of "Frankie's Army?". The fact that we were all screaming so loud all the time made it a bit tough to wander around and get introductions from everyone~!

quote:Originally posted by strobe_z

Nice to finally meet Mimglow, I'm pretty sure Gordon was behind me at the game. Who was taking all the pictures?

Nah, I was in the front row. Carrying a bit too much weight and sporting a goatee - well there were a few of us answering that description. There were a few of the Voyageurs that I missed introducing myself to. Sorry about that. Next time.

It was my first match and it was quite fun. Great to meet all of the people who came down to cheer on Canada. Had a lot of fun in the kick-a-bout, the pub(s) and the game. Result wasn't what we wanted but the effert was there so cheers to all the fans and players. Hope we don't get screwed over any more and can play to win.

My first impression of the gang was almost the same as strobe_z's... As I was supposed to meet some teammates of mine accross the street I went into "Terry Vaugn's" first and noticed some, as yet undisturbed, Honduran fans at the hotel. I came out 5 minutes later to see the impressive corner to corner face-off. I would have joined in but between the shock of it all and the questionable "3rd world" chant I was just dumbfounded.

Going inside the pub and seeing all the guys really made an impact on me as well. The only sane lookin' guy I saw was Reza... I guess its true that you can't read a book by its cover. ;)

I regretted not being able to add my big drum to section U but I had recruited a considerable number of people to the game that might not have all fit in the available seats. My section was a real quiet one and I regretfully didn't get to bang the drum as much as I'd hoped.

I'm now going to have to seriously consider traveling in October. Oh and Beaver, I think the card idea is great!

Chris.

quote:Who was taking all the pictures? And who was the vocal leader of "Frankie's Army?". The fact that we were all screaming so loud all the time made it a bit tough to wander around and get introductions from everyone~!

Was me taking the pictures I think you were referring to. I have the pictures developed, just need to scan some. The vocal Frankie Yallop's Red and White army was Mike G. from Vancouver. (Don't know what handle he posts on this site as)

quote:What we need is a Voyageur card or postcard so that we can give them to these kids and get them on this site. We may call this our "Canadian Soccer Supporters" site, but what it really is is a site for Canadian Soccer fans who need support.

That's a good idea. We should impliment something for the Costa Rica game in Vancouver. The last 2 games there have been people handing out free flags as we walk in. Maybe we can work with CIBC and the CSA to create a hand-out of some sort?! It would be a win-win situation for both sides.

I think strobe_z was talking about the old Brit in the new white kit who had the 'ooooooooooooooooooooooh we're on the road with Frankie's Army/ and we're on our way to Germany/ and we're going to shake em up when we win the World Cup/ cause Canada's the greatest football team."

Those three guys were a lot of fun and I have no idea who any of them were. Perhaps they got 'recruited' before the match. They certainly helped get things going at times.

cheers,

matthew

No problem man...It might actually be easier to hold on to the banners after this round and pass them on to the next group that need it...this was its first return to E-town in over 1 year since it went to Boston for the Gold Cup, so nothing unusual for them to be out of town...One of them (the checkered one) was originally mine and the other, the black and white Voyageurs one, was John Mark's ( a couple of Brazilian exchange students helped him to put it together some 8 years ago in our original Commonwealth debut)...

anyhooo...great to see you all there...

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

I personally love watching games at Commonwelth.That was my 2nd national team game there.The first one being against Australia in 93 before 28000 fans.

You guys helped make it a memorable experience.Those few moments outside of Sherlock Holmes excahanging chants with the Hondurans as they made there way from their hotel was magical.I'd love to know what they were thinking.

Reza,thanks for allowing me to handle the banner duties.It was an honor to do so.I know that you are the originator of a couple of them.I appoligize for not acknowledging this in person on Saturday.No disrepect intended.I'll have them back to you after the Costa Rica home game.

Archived