#1 Olympic spectator event? Drug testing!

Cheeta

Haven't watched summer Olympics in 20 years. Couldn't care less about the event. It's crap events, played in overhyped, overpriced venues, by drugged up, glory seeking twits. More or less.

Canadians moan not enough medals like we've got some sort of entitlement to Olympic reward because we're a wealthy 1st World Nation. Embaressed because we're being outdone by ofter smaller and always poorer countries who have this silly notion of providing their atheletes with money so they can live. Well whatever.

Anyway, if you haven't been following it Dick "The drug Hound" Pound has been barking a lot the last couple of years and even more so, has been showing he isn't all mouth. The man's got bite. He's got money, he's got labs, and he's got the cheats and their shady doctors/chemists helping him out.

Let the witchhunt begin!

And oh yeah, Mr. Pound's got this thing for the American track and field association, aka the Assholes of Evil, and I'm loving it.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/olympics/national/2004/08/12/Sports/pound_doping0812.html

The olympics might lose that "#1 spectator event" title. In the few events I've seen so far, on average, 75% of the seats are emtpy.

I must say, I respect the Greeks for not flocking to these pathetic sporting events like a herd of sheep (and like most other nations have done in the past). Equestrian, sword fighting, boxing, etc. is still boring no matter what the context!

First, Dick "the Drug Hound" Pound was exposed as another do-nothing IOC fat cat two years ago, when Beckie Scott outed him on live national TV. The fact that it took her over two years to receive what was rightfully hers is just another shameful mark on a shameful IOC record in my lifetime. I am neither surprised nor disappointment. Contempt, however, knows no bounds.

Anyhow, as long as any American track athletes aren't exposed during the games, all will be well. And Canada will get what it deserves: third-rate medal counts reflecting third-world spending. Anyone else reminded of any national soccer federations around here?

I watch the olympics to cheer, not to defend. I love our athletes for what they manage to do despite, not what they achieve because.

Allez les Rouges,

M@

M@

I think most of the sports are pretty entertaining. The variety is neat as well. If it happened every year, obviously I wouldn't watch, but seeing snippets of ping pong, badminton and sword fighting every four years suits me just fine.

Though I'll agree on the people who think we're entitled to medals...we only have 30 some odd million people here, it's comparisons to the States and Australia that make them think we're some sporting super power.

quote:Originally posted by Marc

I think most of the sports are pretty entertaining. The variety is neat as well. If it happened every year, obviously I wouldn't watch, but seeing snippets of ping pong, badminton and sword fighting every four years suits me just fine.

That's exactly how I feel. I always expect to not be very interested, but once the near-24/7 coverage begins I find it hard to stop watching, mainly because of the variety.

quote:Originally posted by Marc

That's exactly how I feel. I always expect to not be very interested, but once the near-24/7 coverage begins I find it hard to stop watching, mainly because of the variety.

BTW, I happened to watch the Opening Ceremonies on CBC last week since they weren't shown on any American channel (go figure). Was that coverage horrible or what? I think I counted 5 times when that Williams character mentioned the Americans would be the 56th nation to enter the stadium. Like who cares? Then they did all those interviews on the cell phone with every single Canadian athlete while the rest of the ceremony was still going on .....

dreadful.

Archived