Preperation for our opponents:

Guatemala dismantles a 10-man T&T 4-1 (though there are a few posts on the soccawarriors site saying it was 5-1). Looks like Conrad Smith scored for T&T.

Guatemala had lost last week 4-1 to Atlas of Mexico.

Ruiz hasn't plaed in any of these lead up games either (he may have played tonight, I don't know).

cheers,

matthew

This match was played in Guatemala City against an almost full-strength T&T side - the Trinis were only missing 3 European-based pros (Shaka Hislop, Clayton Ince and Kelvin Jack). I gleaned this from some pre-match articles in Trini news sites. Still haven't seen a match report posted anywhere to let us know whether Ruiz played for the Guats.

One thing's for sure - a 4-1 drubbing of T&T is nothing to sneeze at. I still think we're going to win next week but I wouldn't want to be in a must-win situation when we have to play in Guatemala.

quote:Originally posted by matthew

Ruiz hasn't plaed in any of these lead up games either (he may have played tonight, I don't know).

FSW says that Ruiz suited up Guatemala in the El Salvador game. Still looking for something re. the T&T game. Not good news.

Found more info (from the LA Galaxy website):

Ruiz, who has made more than 40 appearances with the national team, will play for the chapines in an international friendly against Central American rivals El Salvador on August 6 in Washington, D.C., before joining the Galaxy for their league match two days later with the MetroStars at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J.

The 24-year-old striker will remain with the Galaxy through their match on August 14 against the Columbus Crew. The following day, Ruiz is scheduled to report to Guatemala's preparation camp to their semifinal-round CONCACAF qualifying opener at Canada, which will be played in Vancouver on August 18. He is slated to play for the Galaxy against the Chicago Fire the following Saturday, August 21.

Notes on the game last night: Guate 4 - T&T 0

Ruiz wasn’t there for the match, and it went into half time tied 0-0. Guate had a couple of decent chances late in the first half, with Pezarossi setting up Ramirez for a chance. I went away from the first half thinking that all was well in the world. T&T looked poor throughout really, and I was surprised to read on this board that they were only missing three European based players…a couple of others must be coming from MLS after this weekend’s games. Slow on defense, and certainly no Dwight Yorke to spark the offense.

Guate got a goal early in the second half, and that seemed to deflate T&T. First goal came off a corner kick, some guy Melgar left totally unmarked outside the 6 yard box flubs his jumping kick, lands and then pots a goal in the top corner.

Next two goals Ramirez and Romero, both came off their left foot. Second one was a cracker from outside the 18 yard box that could never be replicated in a million years. First one was a nice piece of work that reminded me of Hastings’ goal against Mexico in Gold Cup (I can’t remember if his was off the left foot or not). Took the pass off the leg, coming down the left side, ran well, and hit a great shot off the side netting on the far side.

Final goal was a header off a cross by Estrada. T&T defense was fast asleep or perhaps already heading back to the airport.

Guate defense didn’t get tested much by this side, but they seemed fairly organized. I think Canada has the stronger midfield, and will find major gaps in Guate’s defense. Goalie seemed decent and vocal. Midfield moves mostly from the wings, and they’ll be looking to hit crosses over to Pezarossi who’ll then set up Ruiz for the kill. Pezarossi hasn’t got much pace, but is probably the only person with some height on the team. Ruiz, though he’s slowed his torrid scoring pace, is definitely to be feared inside the 18 yard box. Plus, he’s very apt to dive and set up a free kick for himself – something he handles pretty well as well. He is also the penalty kicker for Guate, as well as for the Galaxy.

They definitely showed good fitness, and I suspect that will do a fair bit of diving – especially Ruiz, who I’ve heard is disliked in the MLS, even by his own teammates.

Thanks for the report Ruud - I should just clarify that Dwight Yorke wasn't counted as a missing European-based pro because he's officially retired from international football. Counting him would make it four players T&T were missing.

Soccer-Guatemala hammer Trinidad 4-1 to extend unbeaten run.

157 words

12 August 2004

14:33

Reuters News

English

© 2004 Reuters Limited

RIO DE JANEIRO, Aug 12 (Reuters) - Guatemala extended their unbeaten run to seven matches with a 4-1 win over 10-man Trinidad and Tobago in a warm-up for their 2006 World Cup qualifier against Canada.

The Central Americans scored all four goals in the second half after Trinidad defender Marlon Rojas was sent off in the 22nd minute of Wednesday's match in Guatemala City for a second bookable offence.

Pablo Melgar, Guillermo Ramirez, Gonzalo Romero and Walter Estrada shared the goals for Guatemala while Conrad Smith replied for Trinidad.

Guatemala, who have never qualified for the World Cup, have lost only once since Honduran Ramon Maradiaga was named coach in March.

They face Canada in Vancouver next Wednesday in CONCACAF second round Group B which also includes Costa Rica and Honduras.

The top two teams qualify for the final stage of the CONCACAF qualifiers.

Guat undefeated in 7 games:

Guatemala hammer Trinidad 4-1 to extend unbeaten run

RIO DE JANEIRO, Aug 12 (Reuters) - Guatemala extended their unbeaten run to seven matches with a 4-1 win over 10-man Trinidad and Tobago in a warm-up for their 2006 World Cup qualifier against Canada.

The Central Americans scored all four goals in the second half after Trinidad defender Marlon Rojas was sent off in the 22nd minute of Wednesday's match in Guatemala City for a second bookable offence.

Pablo Melgar, Guillermo Ramirez, Gonzalo Romero and Walter Estrada shared the goals for Guatemala while Conrad Smith replied for Trinidad.

Guatemala, who have never qualified for the World Cup, have lost only once since Honduran Ramon Maradiaga was named coach in March.

They face Canada in Vancouver next Wednesday in CONCACAF second round Group B which also includes Costa Rica and Honduras.

The top two teams qualify for the final stage of the CONCACAF qualifiers.

Archived