July 11 - millwall vs v.m.s.l.allstars [R]

snake

It's 2-1 Millwall early second half. VMSL just scored. No idea who VMSL has, but Millwall has a decent 11: Stack, Dunne, Livermore, Marvin, Shaggy?, Coogan, Ifill, Harris, Sweeney, Morris, Farrelly.

I'll update when I can.

cheers,

matthew

It finishes 2-1 for Millwall. Wow either the VMSL is better than I thought or Millwall was crap.

There was an unknown keeper on Millwall's bench?! Could it be Lars? There was also a rumour floating around that Millwall are looking to take 'two Canadians' back with them, but they could be 15 year olds for all I know.

cheers,

matthew

thanks for the updates.it was mentioned about 6 weeks ago that millwall brass were blown away by the level of talent in b.c.

they did mentiona couple of 15 year olds at the time one of them is a b.c. player by the name of maras(they said he is related to roger maris)and some other kid from vancouver.if edmonton or toronto signed a couple players each from the v.m.m.l.they wouldn't be disapointed.

it's certainly a quality league. how many of those players were in the f.a. cup final? were they strolling? even so, a team from this paltry league (as it is and should be looked upon - not that there isn't talent, but that the clubs aren't pro and thus should barely give Leyton Orient or Shrewsbury Town a game - or so the myth goes) shouldn't be giving an f.a. cup finalist any kind of game.

David Livermore, Marvin Elliott, Paul Ifill, Neil Harris, Peter Sweeney all were in the FA Cup final (I think Ifill nad Livermore are two of their best players) and Cogan and Dunne were on the bench.

Their starting keeper came in in the second half I believe and it was a supporters site I got the team from so I have no idea who 'Shaggy' is. He could be a regular as well for all I know.

Anyone know who was playing for VMSL? Any young names in the league that we'd all know?

cheers,

matthew

Here's a match report from a Millwall fan who made the trip.

Millwall V. VSML Report

------------------------------------------------------------------------

2-1, with Millwall's first being offside by a good 5 yards, but Cogan getting a nice breakaway for the second. The VMSL goal was a nice near-post header that caught everyone in blue looking at each other rather than the oppoosition.

Ifill scythed down a cannuck for a yellow and was lucky not to see red as it was pure retaliation! The PA man kept calling him If-Ill , to everyone's amusement.

Back 4 did well, with Dolan coming on at the half. Morris was there or thereabouts a lot of the time, but everyone looked a few paces off of match fit. To be honest, this does not bode well for Canada on Wednesday. More pace and size will be needed up front (Dichio?) and the midfield will need to be pacier.

About 20 'hardcore' 'wall in attendence, with some locals add-ons. Possee made an appearence in his role as coach for Soccer BC. At least three complete dicks turned up in Wet Sham shirts! Add to that three in United shirts, and we were well outnumbered.

Atmosphere? Zero. I think there was a bigger crowd when we played behind closed doors. One or two plaintif "come on you wall"s (including mine) was about it. Half a dozen flags in evidence.

Big ups to the team for signing my lad's shirt and having pictures taken with us. We stalked them to and from the hotel and got just about all the squad (and Possee) to sign up. Dennis and Ray very friendly and pleased to see the few of us that made the effort.

I should add that Denis Wise went to the Caps/Sounders match and said the standard was poor and 'below Conference level'. What a joke. I know that was a big game for the VMSL boys and Millwall were very much in pre-season mode, but if they needed an offside goal to beat VMSL all-stars I'm sure they would have lost (possibly badly) to the not-up-to-conference-level Caps.

Anyone have thoughts on how to get updates from Swanguard for Hearts tomorrow? Damn you Sportsnet! Damn you to hell!

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

interesting comment about the Caps/Sounders being below conference level.

Which Caps-Sounders match did he go to? Wise is a jerk off, and not thinking about the situations surrounding the Seattle-Vancouver games. I assume he went to the game in Vancouver. Seattle was playing their second game in three nights with another game to play the next day. Vancouver had to play in Seattle the next night. When there's game situations like that (which is the joke) you can expect that the teams aren't going to go full out as they would id they were coming of a weeks rest with another week of rest after the game.

Wise is a prick. Caps would have killed them if they had played the Caps.

he went to the home game. Those comments ("I should add . . .) were mine, not the Millwall supporters, they're from the official Millwall site (I registered to try to get the audio of the game, but then they were going to charge me 'premium membership' to do that after I did all the crap needed to register) from before the match.

cheers,

matthew

Guest Jeffery S.

Matthew, where was that fan report from, it is pretty unbiased I'd say. In any case if VMSL is two tiers below the Caps at least, and the Caps are conference, what does that say about Millwall struggling to beat a team three levels below conference, and one that has played less together than Wise's team.

I also thought when I read that that the circumstances of the match, with a lot of fouling and contention from what I read, could have been the reason they felt the Caps were a low level. But after I saw Millwall in the FA cup final all I could think was that their skills level was lower than 2nd tier Spain, for example. Terrible in fact that showing. I don't think any 2nd division team in Spain would ever play so horribly vs. a Madrid. So it isn't like Millwall is one of your more technically gifted "The Championship" teams.

You bring up a good point. The game in Vancouver had too many fouls called, by a referee who was scared that all hell was going to break loose. To quote the match report from Seattle Pitch's Ron Stickney (always a fair reporter and stand out guy):

quote:But there were fouls galore, 47 of them. A good share of those fouls would normally be considered trivial at this level, but perhaps referee David Gandar is used to working U-12 and lower matches.

Still it's not fair for Wise to make such comments. He was watching two tired teams, I'd like to see how his team would do playing in the middle of a 3 game in 4 nights stretch. Hell, English teams whine when they can't have unlimited subs in early pre-season matches because a player might have to play 90 mins. Try playing 270+20 mins OT in 4 days.

I wrongfully slandered Wise. He doesn't appear to have made the comment. Here's the text in full from the official site:

Tour diary

The Millwall squad landed in Vancouver at 10am local time on Friday morning following a ten hour flight, and after a brief stroll and a little sightseeing it was straight to bed.However,the change in time zones has played havoc with everyone's sleep patterns,and it's a relief that the first game of the tour is not until 4pm Sunday afternoon (12 midnight English time).

The players are staying in the Hilton hotel in Barnaby, a suburb of Vancouver, just ten minutes from the Swangard Stadium, home of the Vancouver Whitecaps, where the second and third games of the tour will be played in the three- team tournament involving Hearts and Canada.

The opening fixture sees The Lions take on Vancouver Men's Soccer League All Stars at Coquitlam.

Dennis Wise and Ray Wilkins, along with Dave Tuttle, went to the Swangard Stadium to see the Whitecaps beat Seattle 1-0 to maintain their position at the top of the A League Western Division. Although the standard of soccer here is probably below Conference level, there is an increasing enthusiasm for the game which the British Columbia Soccer Association are hoping to capitalise on with this tour and tournament.

From Millwall's perspective, the training regime is as important as the games are in many respects, as Ray Wilkins pointed out: "The important thing is not to be ready for next Saturday's match against Hearts, but for the trip to Plymouth on August 7th.

Dennis has a squad of 19 players here, including one or two who will not feature greatly, if at all, in the games since they are not far enough advanced in their rehabilitation from injury.

Keeper Terry Masterson was a late addition to the party which includes new boys Graham Stack and Jody Morris, Andy Marshall, who re-signed on Thursday, and Gareth Farrelly, who has been training with us since July 1st."

Here's where I got the match report from: http://boards.rivals.net/default.asp?sid=937&p=16&style=2&forumId=6297&action=1&replytoid=2130361433

and here's Millwall's match report. Pretty good team for Millwall too.

Millwall kicked off their tour of British Columbia with a comfortable win over the Vancouver Metro All Stars.

In spite of the 2-1 scoreline and a frantic scramble in The Lions goalmouth during injury time, Dennis Wise's men were always in control of this game.

Having completed an intense running session on the morning of the match, it was inevitable that Millwall would lack a certain sharpness, and the long grass at the picturesque Coquitlam Stadium did not help produce a slick passing game.

However, after surviving a couple of minor scares, most notable when debutant keeper Graham Stack produced a fine save to deny Mark Gomes an opening goal, two strikes in the space of eight minutes towards the end of the first half put the tourists in control.

Firstly Gareth Farrelly played both Neil Harris and Paul Ifill clear of the offside trap on 36 minutes, and when Chopper squared to Iffs, he scored at the second attempt after seeing his first effort rebound from a post.

Then in similar fashion Farrelly put Barry Cogan away just before the break and the young Irishman made it 2-0 with a cool finish.

Millwall appeared to be coasting, but a loss of concentration allowed the other Gomes brother, Mike, to reduce the arrears with a near post header 11 minutes after the break.

But The Lions weren't really troubled again until the dying seconds when a goalmouth melee almost led to an unlikely equaliser for the All Stars.

Team: Stack (Masterson), Dunne, Lawrence (Dolan), Ward, Livermore, Cogan, Elliott (Weston), Morris, Farrelly (Sweeney), Harris (Braniff), Ifill.

cheers,

matthew

Okay then he's off the hook. It also appears the reporter is commenting on the play of the VMSL not the A-League.

quote:The players are staying in the Hilton hotel in Barnaby, a suburb of Vancouver, just ten minutes from the Swangard Stadium, home of the Vancouver Whitecaps,

Right on the Barnaby-Jones border.

Archived