Richard Hastings

Guys, I finally managed to obtain some information on Richard Hastings. It doesn't sound good. According to MVV supporters site, it appears that the club terminated his contract at the end of the season. The majority of fans were glad to see him go. They actually thought he was a good for nothing piece of (s)hit who is better of going fishing than playing soccer. Was Hastings that bad???? Are these fans are entitled to say these nasty things about our Hastings???

Can't say that they are saying any less than what some on this board have said. Also, in the few times I saw him play, he did not impress. Nevertheless, I wish him well.

He would be a candidate for Scandinavia. Probably more suited to the long ball style of play than the Dutch style of play.

Ever since he left Austria his level of play went down. And yes fans

are entitled to say anything they wish, because they're fans.

But like Fenwick he never declined a chance to play for his country. I wish him

the very best, whether it's in Norway, Iceland, UK Div 3, or the A-League.

Can never forget his remarkable golden goal against Mexico in GC2000.

Here's the story.

SPL would definitely be a step up for Mr. Golden Goal. :)

Inverness chase McGovern

Inverness are interested in bringing former Republic of Ireland U-21 defender Brian McGovern to the club.

McGovern, who had spells at Arsenal and Norwich, is with Longford Town.

"We have spoken to Brian's club and his agent and we are waiting to see what comes from it," Caley Thistle manager John Robertson told the Daily Express.

Defenders Darren Dodds and Richard Hastings, who left the club in 2001, are on trial with Inverness, as are midfielders Liam Fox and Ian Black.

Fox has been released by Hearts, while Black was with Blackburn Rovers last season.

Former Hibs centre half Dodds is looking for a new club after leaving St Johnstone and Canadian international Hastings wants to return to Scotland after spells in Austria and Holland.

Story from BBC SPORT:

According to this article, it appears that Hastings has impressed the management at his trial.

Sun 11 Jul 2004

Caley up at seven to start long journey into unknown

ALASDAIR FRASER

THEY started as they meant to go on - with a win and with a journey. Metaphorically speaking, Caley Thistle’s road has already been long and winding this summer as they grappled with Partick for SPL status. That battle won, there was tangible relief at returning to on-field hostilities with a crushing 7-0 victory over Highland minnows Brora Rangers.

Given their imminent travels, with 38 games effectively played away from home this campaign, the wee jaunt north to Sutherland was something of a picnic. They took time to warm up, blending as they were one new signing, four trialists and four youngsters while leaving out familiar faces.

But Darren Dods, the former St Johnstone defender, looked assured wearing Bobby Mann’s jersey in the heart of a back four, the ex-skipper having left for Dundee. And while another trialist, Liam Fox, formerly of Hearts, struggled to make much of an impression, Ian Black, a 19 year-old from Blackburn Rovers, looked a real prospect in midfield.

And Canadian internationalist Richard Hastings impressed in both halves, having returned to try and win a contract at his old club after time in Austria and Holland.

Richie Hart, from last season’s title-winning team, also turned in a commanding show, but Brora were never likely to provide the sternest of pre-season tests. Still, they held firm for 37 minutes, before Fox followed up a parried Hart effort with a simple finish to break the deadlock. Two minutes later, Graham Bayne, four months after playing his last game for Ross County, rose and headed the second in some style.

A Craig MacMillan tap-in and another from Hart, punishing a goalkeeping mistake, made it four by the break. Bayne headed his second in spectacular fashion in 55 minutes, before Black struck the sixth with a swerving free-kick which went in off the inside of the post. Steven Hislop then thrashed home the seventh from a free-kick. The road ahead is long for the SPL’s new boys, but they’ve set the wheels rolling.

Elsewhere, Ross County put five past hosts Lossiemouth, with doubles for Sean Higgins and Steven McGarry, and a goal from new signing Sean Kilgannon, who has just arrived from Dunfermline.

Elgin squeezed a 3-2 win at Forres with a double from Alex Bone, while Clark Bain’s second-half strike gave Peterhead victory at Huntly

Elsewhere, new Raith boss Claude Anelka brought his cosmopolitan travelling band to town for their second pre-season fixture, but was destined to be disappointed. After losing three goals in the opening half hour, Raith Rovers were beaten 3-1 at Berwick Rangers.

The day had begun badly for him, with his side running out in strips and numbers which failed to match the official team-sheet read out to the 273 fans.

But Berwick weren’t without their problems, either, after free tickets were handed out to shirt sponsors Haggerston Castle Holiday Camp with the wrong kick off time of an hour later.

Raith failed to match Berwick’s early enthusiasm and had to rely on keeper David Berthelot to keep them in the reckoning. He tipped a Mark Cowan header superbly over the bar in nine minutes. From the corner, Martin Neil clipped the crossbar with a rising shot from the edge of the box.

Ian Little, making his debut after joining from Alloa, seized on indecision by Berthelot in 13 minutes to control a high ball ten yards out then stroke home the opener.

A minute later, Darren Smith made it 2-0 when he cut in from the left and cracked a low shot beyond the sprawling goalkeeper. Raith managed their first attempt on target when Tomas Hajovsky lashed a shot from inside the box which defender Elliott Smith headed off the line in 25 minutes. However, Berwick grabbed goal number three in 29 minutes as Smith clipped the ball home from a few yards out after a fine run and low cross from the right by Gordon Connelly.

Raith made six substitutions at the interval and the second half was momentarily delayed as the teams realised just before kick off that Rovers substitute goalkeeper Rudy Pounassamy was discovered missing. He raced down the tunnel and straight into goal before proceedings could begin.

Substitute Herve Abanda pulled a goal back just two minutes into the second period when he glided home a header from close range into the left side of the net. This makes him the top scorer already after grabbing four last weekend against Huntly. The result of this pre-season fixture will certainly please Berwick’s holidaying boss Paul Smith, who phoned number two Greg Shaw from Spain right on the final whistle.

This article:

http://sport.scotsman.com/archive.cfm?id=792992004

Guys, it appears that Richard Hastings had a successful trial, and that he may</u> have won a contract with the club. I do see his name appear in the 19-men roster of the club. I've already forward an e-mail to the fan forum supervisor who is expected to get back to me with the official news. So more news expected soon.

I wonder if playing if Austria and Holland just didn't suit Hastings due to culture shock or something. He really did seem to get worse after he left Scotland and, as I recall, the fans on the Ross County sites (his last SD1) club, considered him to be one of their best players and were gutted when he left for Austria. It may well be that returning to Scotland is exactly what he needs now.

Here is some unofficial news on Richard Hastings, coming straight from the Membership Secretary of the team's Supporters Club:

Hi Luis,

Thanks for your email. If I'd replied earlier, the answer would have to be "don't know”, as signings are always kept secret until the contract is signed. However I can now confirm that it is very likely Richard will sign for us in the next few days. I have watched him play in the pre-season friendlies and reckon that he will be a useful player for us in the SPL.

Keep watching the BBC Scotland website at http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/sportscotland/index.shtml for all the latest football news.

Regards,

Peter MacCallum

Membership Secretary.

Looks like Hastings has signed for two years. Still a chance that his old club Inverness will be in the SPL this season. A good move for Hastings.

From the Scotsman:

Darren Dods has signed a one-year deal with Inverness, while Richard Hastings has clinched a two-year contract.

It's official now. Hastings has indeed signed a 2 year contract with Inverness.

TS_print.gif

Fri 23 Jul 2004

Inverness court Juanjo but pass on Sheerin

DARREN JOHNSTONE

INVERNESS Caledonian Thistle are making moves to bring former Hearts winger Juanjo to the club, but have dropped their interest in Aberdeen midfielder Paul Sheerin.

Juanjo’s proposed move to Livingston was scuppered last week when striker Derek Lilley returned to the club after failing to settle at Boston United.

The 27-year-old, who played for Hearts for three years, is keen to remain in Scotland and could be persuaded to venture north to sign for the Highland outfit.

Director of football Graeme Bennett last night confirmed talks have already taken place with the player’s representative.

"We have spoken to Juanjo’s agent but that’s about as far as it goes at the moment," Bennett said. "We will continue talks but things are at a very early stage, he has not trained with us or anything like that."

Midfielder Sheerin will not be signing for Caley Thistle after he failed to agree a severance package with Aberdeen.

Darren Dods has signed a one-year deal with Inverness, while Richard Hastings has clinched a two-year contract.

Dunfermline manager Davie Hay stressed yesterday he will do everything within his powers to keep Craig Brewster.

Dons boss Jimmy Calderwood sparked an angry response from East End Park Chairman John Yorkston yesterday when he was quoted as saying he was interested in signing the 37-year-old. Hay stated yesterday Aberdeen would face a massive fight if they were to try and tempt Brewster to the north-east.

"Jimmy has been quoted on it so, if he has got a genuine interest in Craig, it is up to Jimmy to make the correct approach," said Hay. "He is entitled, as much as anyone is, to make an official approach for any player and offer a transfer fee but I would do everything within my powers to keep Craig."

This article:

http://sport.scotsman.com/archive.cfm?id=841572004

Inverness CT FC:

http://sport.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=1093

I believe Inverness CT has already been cleared to play in the SPL.

A good move for Hastings. The style of play in Scotland is more forgiving to Hastings' weaknesses than the Dutch style.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Looks like Hastings has signed for two years. Still a chance that his old club Inverness will be in the SPL this season. A good move for Hastings.

From the Scotsman:

Archived