Canadians abroad: July 2-8, 2004

DJT

Canadians abroad on TV this week

Notes: This list may be incomplete or inaccurate. Generally only premiere broadcasts are listed (in particular, FSWC repeats are not listed). All broadcasts are live unless otherwise noted. All times are EDT.

Friday, July 2

8:00 PM on FSWC — Canada/United States: A-League

Milwaukee (Jim Larkin) vs. Seattle

Guidelines for this thread

[*]In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for July 2-8, 2004.

[*]If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

[*]If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

[*]Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

Guest Jeffery S.

Kenny sat on the bench as Enkopings lost 1-3 to Superettan leaders Hacken. I thought that having resigned he would get his starting spot back? And why, oh, why, doesn't this team sign a striker or two?

Fenwick did not dress as Hibs had to come back to draw a team from Estonia 1-1 at home in the Intertoto first leg.

Guest Jeffery S.

Jazic's Kuban drew scoreless at home to Dynamo Moscow in Russia action. I have no idea where to find game reports, anyone?

Their rival to avoid relegation beat the last place team, so in the end they are even further back than before.

Guest Jeffery S.

Jazic's Kuban drew scoreless at home to Dynamo Moscow in Russia action. I have no idea where to find game reports, anyone?

Their rival to avoid relegation beat the last place team, so in the end they are even further back than before.

Jazic played the whole second half of Kuban's tie with Dynamo. This is a decent result as Dynamo is a mid-table team this year and Kuban has quite a number of new players who are not used to playing with each other. I think it is also a good sign that Jazic got a whole half considering he had only trained with the team since Monday. He is obviously being given the chance to win a starting spot. As far as Kazan beating Volgograd that is to be expected as last place Volgograd has not been competitive all year. Kuban is still only two points from a non-relagation spot with more than half the season to play. The table is very tight with only 5 points separating 7th place Saturn from 15th place Kuban. Game summeries can be seen at http://www.fc-kuban.ru/ but in Russian only. Unfortunately Jazic's name when translated doesn't have one letter similar to a latin alphabet letter. It starts with what looks like a backwards R and the second letter looks like an x with a line through it. As long as you know what his name looks like you should be able to tell if and how long he played. I won't be posting as much when I am in Russia so it would be good if someone can read the game reports.

I have been reading the match commentary on the club's fan forum. There are some very extensive, detailed and knowledgeable commentaries on the game generally far better than what I have seen on English and German forums. Jazic played as a midfielder and made a reasonably good impression. The fans were most impressed with their two new Brazilian players but most said that Jazic was fast, intelligent and constantly moving. One even thought that he was the best player of the new signings although he was the only one of ca. 50 posters who wrote this. In contrast to this they were very hard on the new Lithuanian striker who they called a disaster (this is a bit worrying since they were already decent defencively but need to score more goals).

Guest Jeffery S.

Helped by Luis' thread, final and full results for Norway.

Sogndal lost 3-2 to Ham Kam, Reda got his first start in months and played 90. Sogndal played with their youth keeper today.

As mentioned, Occean was not dressed for Odd, who drew away to Stabaek scoreless. Perhaps injured?

Tromso, Bernier's new team, playing now and beating Viking. Patrice is not dressed, perhaps the deal is not fully done yet?

Div 1, Friend played 90 as Moss lost to Aalesund 1-0.

Haugesund drew Kongsvinger scoreless at home, with both Budalic and Milan Kojic playing 90. Seems Niki had a couple of chances to score. Pozniak was not dressed, also perhaps injured?

With Tromso currently first ( two pts ahead of Rosenborg). I know it might sound premature to talk about Champions league possibilities. But none the less, I am wondering if anyone knows:

1) if the scandinavian winners play in this winters champions league or next seasons? I am wondering because I know that uefa has the scandinavian leagues ( champions ) rated Q2 or Q3 rather than "G" for group for the bigger leagues in Europe. meaning that they enter the competition pretty early. Aug?, Sept? I think. So will the scandinavian champs be crowned by then.

2) If this team is in the artc circle, where would they play their home games in CL. It must be pretty hard in the winter months to play in CL when your season is over and have only games in Eurpe to wait for. How do players stay sharp?

Would be interesting to have another canuck playing in CL wouldn't it?

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

1) if the scandinavian winners play in this winters champions league or next seasons? I am wondering because I know that uefa has the scandinavian leagues ( champions ) rated Q2 or Q3 rather than "G" for group for the bigger leagues in Europe. meaning that they enter the competition pretty early. Aug?, Sept? I think. So will the scandinavian champs be crowned by then.

Clubs from leagues that play a summer season qualify for the UEFA competitions that begin in the following calendar year. So, for example, Rosenborg, as 2003 Norwegian champions, will enter the 2004/2005 Champions League (in the Second Qualifying Round that begins in August, as you note).

Note that Olivier Occean's Odd Grenland will be participating in the 2004/2005 UEFA Cup (beginning in the Second Qualifying Round in August) based on their results in 2003.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Free kick

With Tromso currently first ( two pts ahead of Rosenborg). I know it might sound premature to talk about Champions league possibilities. But none the less, I am wondering if anyone knows:

2) If this team is in the artc circle, where would they play their home games in CL. It must be pretty hard in the winter months to play in CL when your season is over and have only games in Eurpe to wait for. How do players stay sharp?

Would be interesting to have another canuck playing in CL wouldn't it?

Norway season goes into mid-late November, so the last 2004 (or in this case 2005) date of group stages, usually first week of December, is not that much later.

A bit tougher is what happens next, as Tromso is cold in Feb-March, but not worse than some Russian venues. After all it is on the coast, it would be like playing in Prince Rupert in March (okay, a bit worse, maybe like Labrador City?, though I have never been there), but often you could have rain instead of ice. But for sure there would be a real chance of snow, without really far below zero temperatures.

Guest Jeffery S.

Fernando Aguiar got his first minutes for Landskrona, coming on as a sub m. 74 as they came back with a stoppage time goal to draw Orgryte away 1-1.

I would guess it is political to not start him his first game, let him win the spot from a regular, though with what they paid and the press hullabaloo he is destined to be a regular starter one would think.

Also, in a total aside, I see Semir Mesanovic is on the team list for Milwaukee in the a-league.com preview of their next match. The Milwaukee site does not have him listed yet, but he has no. 14, which belonged to another player just last week. After his successful trial with Minnesota could it be that Milwaukee decided to keep him?

Aguiar was benched because he is still recovering from of a minor knee injury he got in the reserves match he played last week.

Atiba is on the line-up for Helsingborg's match at Hammarby tonight. Trelleborg would like to play Ademolu in their home game against Elfsborg tonight, but the paperwork needs to come through, which it hadn't last night.

Guest Jeffery S.

Thanks to Dandal for clearing up my way off speculation about Aguiar. That is a fast recovery from an injury.

Stephen Ademolu has started for Trellesborg home vs. Elfsborg and Atiba for Helsingborgs away to Hammarby in Sweden top flight this evening, updates via http://www.svenskfotboll.se/t30.asp

Interesting to see that Ademolu has been given a starter's number, 7.

Guest Jeffery S.

De Ro and Onstad played 90 as the Quakes fell to Dallas last night, 2-1. San José had an extra time penalty called in their favour after a foul on De Ro but Landon blew it.

Sweden, what a bunch we have here. Helsingborgs lost 2-1 to Hammarby with Atiba going the whole way, they are last in the league. Trellesborg also lost on a late goal, Ademolu also played 90. Looks like the Canucks will be fighting to relegate each other in Sweden this year, as Trellesborg is in the playoff to avoid it spot, and Landskrona (Aguiar) tied in points but ahead on goal diff.

If Helsingborgs keeps losing in the way that they have been doing since the start of the season, they will quite likely refuse to let go of Atiba Hutchinson for Canadian National duties. Trust me. Mark my words. It will happen. In fact, when a club is so low in the standing, clubs do get desperate for results. For this reason I can see management of the club putting the club vs. country pressure on Atiba.

quote:Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

If Helsingborgs keeps losing in the way that they have been doing since the start of the season, they will quite likely refuse to let go of Atiba Hutchinson for Canadian National duties. Trust me. Mark my words. It will happen. In fact, when a club is so low in the standing, clubs do get desperate for results. For this reason I can see management of the club putting the club vs. country pressure on Atiba.

They can refuse all they want, but if Yallop wants Atiba in the lineup, and Atiba wants to be there, then there is nothing the club can do.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Sweden, what a bunch we have here. Helsingborgs lost 2-1 to Hammarby with Atiba going the whole way, they are last in the league. Trellesborg also lost on a late goal, Ademolu also played 90. Looks like the Canucks will be fighting to relegate each other in Sweden this year, as Trellesborg is in the playoff to avoid it spot, and Landskrona (Aguiar) tied in points but ahead on goal diff.

Both matches were fairly close though, which is a good sign for Helsingborg (playing the leagues # 2) and a bad one for Trelleborg (playing a relegation candidate).

Ademolu made a good impression on most of us. Fast, creative, technical (watch this clip http://svt.se/content/1/c6/22/91/51/2004-0708-tff-elf.ram ), but a poor finisher. Sorry to say, the guys that are there to finish ain't any better.

Even if only 10 of 26 games are played, I think it's a done deal that at least one of the three "canadian" teams will be relegated. Despite their present position, IMHO Helsingborg has the best chances to avoid it.

Archived