Lynx release Goddard

Jarrek

Won 50% of their games, 1.33 GAA ...

LYNX RELEASE GOALKEEPER

Goalkeeper, Richard Goddard, has been released from the Toronto Lynx roster. The native of Trinidad and Tobago has been the backup to Bryheem Hancock for most of the season but played well in 3 starts, registering a 2-1-0 record and 1.33 Goals Against Average. “It’s unfortunate that things haven’t worked out better for Richard,” said Lynx Head Coach Duncan Wilde. “He is a good level A-League ‘keeper but wanted the opportunity to be a starter and increase his playing time. We wish Richard every success in his future endeavours as he is a dedicated quality professional.”

K-head, I'm sure you'd be the first to comment that 3 of 4 Lynx victories came over Puerto Rico, so to say Goddard is playing better because he beat the Islanders twice is hardly a well-informed opinion.

It's hardly an uninformed opinion either.

He couldn't help it if the coach wouldn't give him the starts against the other teams. Thats says something about the Toronto coach I'd think. I don't know the coaches reasons, but regardless of who the opponent was, if I were the coach of a team that can't get wins and the backup keeper picked up a couple against a poor team, then I'd try him in net in a few other games.

Man, I offered some information and an opinion and yet someone still wants to pick a fight.

Since when is offering up a counterpoint considered "pick[ing] a fight"?

For the record, of what I've seen in person, both keepers (Goddard and Hancock) have been equally impressive. At the very least, Hancock has not given me any reason to believe the Lynx' problems are to be found in goal, nor any reason to demand a change in the 'keeper heirarchy. While based on reputation I would have prefered to see Goddard awarded the starters role, I haven't nearly the opportunity to watch the two 'keepers side by side as the Lynx coaching staff has. Hence, I have faith in the choice Duncan Wilde has made.

quote:Originally posted by L.T.

K-head, cut out the persecution complex, it's getting tired.

Answer this. If I was Joe Blow and offered the same opinion would you be quick to respond that my opinion was "ill informed"?

No, I didn't think so.

While were at it, you should cut out the persecution complex as well. man say anything about your frigging Lynx and you're up in arms.

quote:Originally posted by JayWay

Since when is offering up a counterpoint considered "pick[ing] a fight"?

When it ends with the person saying that my opinion was not "well informed, which was basically a suble way of telling me I was full of crap.

Which is fine I suppose, but it was only an opinion, yet you guys in Toronto are so defensive.

You say I biased my remarks because I was responding to you, yet you lump me in with 'generic Lynx fan' in your response. Find another 'defensive' comment coming from me and maybe I'll actually start giving your opinions an ounce of credibility.

Which is why I asked you how many times you've seen each 'keeper suit up for the Lynx. Until you answer this, it's only natural for someone to assume a fan out of Vancouver is largely uninformed on issues regarding the Lynx onfield performance.

And leave the regional BS out of it.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

When it ends with the person saying that my opinion was not "well informed, which was basically a suble way of telling me I was full of crap.

Which is fine I suppose, but it was only an opinion, yet you guys in Toronto are so defensive.

Goddard looked generally good in the games I saw him in however there'd always be one mental lapse per game where he'd fumble the ball out of the box or get caught out which would make the fans gasp. He wasn't usually burned on them though.

He could throw the ball clear to the centre line and punt it maybe 70 yards upfield.

I have no idea how the two goalie's compared in practice. Venturing to guess that it was a financial decision may be true only because Lynx decisions sometimes are but that's pure speculation. I'll just ask at the next home game. Still be easy if they feed me the "Goddard wanted more playing time" angle because that could be just as true.

It only took one afternoon to clear that three year Voyageur rumour that the Lynx gave away all tickets to their School Days programs. $5.00 per ticket rock bottom price confirmed by two management types and the teachers I asked.

Hey I'm just the guy who's seen all the Lynx home games this year. I don't make comments about the western teams because I don't know what's going on. If I ventured into a western discussion I'd expect some flak. Krammerhead's comments about anything said about the Whitecaps are gold with me but comments about the Lynx, except the one time when they play in Vancouver per year, are just his own opinion.

quote:Originally posted by Rocket Robin

It only took one afternoon to clear that three year Voyageur rumour that the Lynx gave away all tickets to their School Days programs. $5.00 per ticket rock bottom price confirmed by two management types and the teachers I asked.

I'm pretty sure it was the same last year.

Lets just say this about Richard...

well, first lets talk about my good friend Mr. Duncan Wilde... this moron doesn't have a clue about soccer and finding/keeping good players. I, along with the rest of NY, have watched Richard go through college and a series of professional teams. To say that he is a "good keeper" is mind-blowing... he is absolutely amazing! If that lame excuse for a coach would open his eyes he would see.

What's Bryheem's record? Matching it up to Richard's is sickening... Richard's skills and devotion to soccer have never been hindered when dealing with idiots like Duncan. I'm more than positive that Richard will find a team to play with and come back better than ever.

His maturity is another thing to be admired. If I were to compare Duncan and Richard I think the world would laugh.

Richard was the one who dealt with the entire situation in stride, speaking up when he felt the need and doing everything with utmost respect for his team mates and the coaching staff. Duncan on the other hand wouldn't even give reasoning as to why Richard wouldn't be starting/playing... now tell me, who's the immature one?

Richard will go farther than Duncan and his bunch of immature followers could ever imagine and trust me when I say this... when it happens a lot of people will be there supporting Richard and Duncan will get his...

Latah

Another thing is Richard would count as an import and they can have local guy Brian Rowland as the backup goalie if they're not going to use that spot anyway.

Not that the Lynx are in a rush to get another foreign player but their two goalies at the beginning of the season were both imports. A team only has five import spots.

Ok people. Before people start kicking at this girl I'll come to her defense a lil bit.

First things first, I'm Richard. I've been on this board and have posted on this and the other board for a while now. I must say I do enjoy reading some of these conversations, mainly because they give me (the player) a deeper insight into what the fans of the game think. As a player I try to make sense of the many things being said here, and try to make myself as fan friendly as possible. I think it's the only way to become a fan of the game itself (by seeing the game as a fan) and you all make this possible.

Now I can understand islandgirl's frustrations with seeing me being released from the Lynx (I'm the most frustrated person in regards to that). I can also understand the hurt since a lot of people close to me were hoping this year would be my re-emergence onto the A-League soccer scene. Something like this is never easy to deal with and I do think I've dealth with it pretty well. I know I'm not in the plans of the Lynx for this year and the honest truth is I don't see myself coming back here unless somethings within the organization (especially financial input) are bettered. I remember Theo Zagr saying the same thing in an article before our first game in Rochester. So for pretty much everyone on this board...this is nothing new.

As a keeper who has played in the A-League before, I was hoping and expecting to have a lil more opportunity to help the team. Unfortunately it never happened that way....call it a very unfortunate hand. For whatever reasons (and there could be many) they were, I still tried to be as positive an influence to the team as possible (if any of you know any of the players on the team I'm sure they could attest to that).

As I said before, they're quite a few people who would have loved to see me in goal for many or all of the games. They knew it would probably take a lil while knowing I was out of a game since September 2002. They were forced to share my frustrations, pains and internal questioning which, in turn, spilled onto this forum. I can't say I was extremely happy about not playing, yet I understand there're somethings neither Duncan nor myself can control. I know how hard he worked and how he demanded some things to make the players more comfortable. Hence I cannot let all this criticism of Mr. Wilde to stand. He made a call and unfortunately it was me (as much as I didn't think I was given a fair shot given our record).

Maybe if things get better (all-round) with the Lynx as a whole, and I'm called to re-join them..........we'll see. But until then, my life goes on. Hopefully i'll have some news for all of you.

Lata and blessings

Richard

according to the boss ive got to jump on and say that it wasnt a personal attack...

i guess in SOME aspects he's right, but im stubborn in my thinking and i cant help but say that i think the LYNX as an organization is wrong for doin this...

it couldnt have been all one person's doing but seeing someone work as hard as Richard for as long as he worked and having next to nothing to show for it is a little disheartening...

so to whomever did this... you're playin the fool... duncan or not, its wrong

so this wasnt a personal attack on any ONE persons ideas or judgements but more a collective complaint about releasing THE hardest working player...

For those who know Richard we can all agree that he brings 100% to the field day in and day out. Unfortunately his number was called. Going into the season the Lynx chose to go with two foreign goalies but knowing the situation. It is unfair to look at the numbers and say one goalie is better then the other. Early in the season Bryheem was left out to dry in a few games giving up a few goals. In saying that if he wasn't in net it could of been worse. Both goalies are great goalies but to keep both of them for the remaider of the season does not make sense financially. I think it all goes back to the league and not having guaranteed contracts for the players. Players can be let go by their club anytime before July 1st (I think) for any reason. (Look at Robbie in Seattle). It's sad, but the players know that before signing with any team.

What this really means is this:

Since this discussion, joined by Richard himself, is happening on the Voyageurs board...it's a sure sign that the Ultras board is dead.

Richard...greetings and good luck in the future. It's too bad, really. It can only get better than "Father Appreciation at Centennial" anyway.

Richard, that was one of the classier posts by a player put in a difficult situation. Very big of you to not slam the Lynx in an immature tirade - you gained much respect from me.

I wish you best of luck in getting back in goal somewhere else. Cheers!

Richard has always been a V-board poster.

The Ultras board isn't dead til we say it's dead. The unfortunate matter with that board has been the lack of Ultras attended games thus far. Between day games and games scheduled at the same time as WCQ, it's been difficult to sustain momentum on that board. It will improve.

Blair

quote:Originally posted by torontosupport

What this really means is this:

Since this discussion, joined by Richard himself, is happening on the Voyageurs board...it's a sure sign that the Ultras board is dead.

Archived